The only thing i don't understand – is Boroer's compulsive idea about chests.  :grin: 
At first, it was simple "+" symbols, but then i said that "pluses" already used in Pillars as Health symbol – and then he just sneaky convert  his lovely "pluses" into some kind of crusader's chests.
Actually, all abilities is adding something - so according Boeroer's logic, we need to integrate those chests into every icon. No way.

i'd want to hear any opinions about this. Becose i don't like it at all, but i understand - it's just my subjective opinion.

Edited by Phenomenum

No worries. I can alter that. It's just so that drawing new icons is more fun than fiddling with the older ones - so I tend to push the latter. ;)

I will catch up on the older ones that are still so-so.

Colors: there doesn't seem to be a consistent color schema where blue=defensive, red=offensive and so on? Don't know. Obviously the "blood" stuff has to be red. ;) Afaik there's grey, red, dark blue, light blue, yellow and purple for the more "simple" icons in the passive side. I would also like a kind of greenish color - petrol or so: -petrol-

But for the most part I think I would just use the background-color that they had before? I mean if it looks ok and makes sense. As I said: Blood THirst and so on would be kind of silly in blue or yellow.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Alternatives?

new_ability_icons_BF_OSA_small.png?dl=1

I have to say: having certain symbols for effects (shield = defense, strongman for fortitude and so on) is nice as a starting point, but if I stick to them too fiercly the symbols become either rather undistinguishable or very detailed which will not work woith 42*42 pixels. They also sometimes become messy und ugly. It's also questionable if one can deduce what the ability does just by looking at the icon. So - I try to incorporate those symbols - but when I can't make it look decent I take some liberty and do something else - just to see if that's any better.

When I look at the sheet I also have to say the icons where I didn't stick to the symbolism too fiercly are the ones I like best (judging by the aesthetics and how interesting they are to look at).

Edited by Boeroer

@MaxQuest: I'm totally open for switching the raw-dmg symbol for something else that might indicate increased damage or damage in general. Do you have something in mind?

Or maybe I scrap that symbol entirely and go by intuition? For example for Improved Critial on could make a small skull morph into a bigger one or something like that.

I also thought about symboly for miss/graze/hit/crit and came up with D20-shapes that er either empty (miss), half filled (graze), filled (hit) and exploded (crit). But it looks kind of weird and and strangly mathematical/geometrical and I don't think most players won't get it anyway. Maybe in this case looks trumps symbolism? Don't know... I do like consistency - but since this is more of an artistical challenge... for me at least. ;)

The only thing i don't understand – is Boroer's compulsive idea about chests.  :grin:

You mean the cuirass silhouette, like on Armored Grace? If yes,... I think that one is fine; just a tiny bit wide for something with grace in it's name.

Someone have any ideas about colors for background in new icons? If not, i'll paint all with acid pink, i swear.

Oh common...

That "different" Skull is the official Symbol of Berath, God of Death. So I thought it's fitting for on-kill effects. ;)

Feeling ashame now, as I didn't recognize it)

But yeap, it's definitelly fitting then.

Alternatives?

The previous Brute Force was better in my oppinion. It was kinda showing that you are targeting Fortitude.

While the new iteration shows that you are trying to crush/fissure the earth.

As for One Stands Alone: both are good. The difference being that the last one underlines barbarian's position; but one might think that's it's effective only vs enemies from the front.

I also tried "bangs" for crits, but the plain skull + gimmicks makes for so much more interesting Icons.

Associations that come to mind can be really unexpected.

Was thinking "what's common between Zooey Deschanel and critical hits" for a moment.

Afaik the "raw dmg" symbol is also used for dmg generally in Deadfire - if no type is specified...? That's the only reason I use it. :)

@MaxQuest: I'm totally open for switching the raw-dmg symbol for something else that might indicate increased damage or damage in general. Do you have something in mind?

Yeap; I have a pretty strong association between:

lesser_wounds.jpg and Raw Damage (which could also be poison / over-time)

blooded.jpg and General Damage

And the latter, I've also seen being used on pillar's gamepedia: example1, example2

Or maybe I scrap that symbol entirely and go by intuition? For example for Improved Critial on could make a small skull morph into a bigger one or something like that.

It could be also some form of dice. E.g:

64px-Chaos_Strike_icon.png?version=b41dc

Where it could be red, with a skull on it's facet for offensive criticals.

Or "healthy-green", with a clover on it's facet for some defensive criticals.

But you mentioned the detalisation problem and the 42x42 limit. So... there is that.

Colors: there doesn't seem to be a consistent color schema where blue=defensive, red=offensive and so on? Don't know. Obviously the "blood" stuff has to be red. ;) Afaik there's grey, red, dark blue, light blue, yellow and purple for the more "simple" icons in the passive side. I would also like a kind of greenish color - petrol or so: -petrol-

But for the most part I think I would just use the background-color that they had before? I mean if it looks ok and makes sense. As I said: Blood THirst and so on would be kind of silly in blue or yellow.

From what I've seen, current non-root passives use:

- dark-red: Blooded, Two-Handed Style, etc

- magenta: Great Soul, Tough, etc

- steelblue: Fast Runner, Tumbling, Unstoppable, etc

- navy: Weapon and Shield, Critical Defence, Determination, etc

- ~gray: Two-Weapon Style, Arms Bearer, Thick-Skinned, etc

- ~yellow: One-Handed Style, Uncanny Luck, Unflinching, Bear's Fortitude, Prestige etc

- ~violet: Bull's Will, Combat Focus, Fearless

It's kinda inconsistent.

I think they could be grouped as:

- darkred: damage and blood stuff

- gray: utility stuff (deep pockets, arms bearer)

- yellow: accuracy and luck

- brown: defenses and fortitude

- violet: mental determination, focus, concentration

- steelblue: speed, recovery, duration

Edited by MaxQuest

Err... brown? :)

@raw dmg vs. general dmg: good! I can easily swap out those two. No problem.

@Brute Force: the body + arrow - icon looks a bit silly though. As if somebody painted an archery target on his chest and is like "come on! try to hit me!" :)

Hammer shattering the earth at least gives a feeling of "Brute Force". Or I depict somebody using his head to crush a wall...? ;) Or I use an alternative symbol for accuracy - not that target + arrow thing...

@One Stands Alone: an icon will seldomly be able to "describe" the whole ability. So if a player really thinks that it only works from the front (judging by the icon) the description should help him. I can also try to bring one ot two spears behind the head. I added a helmet to the head shape because it looked a bit bland before. I like that it looks like Rekvu's Fractured Casque now (which is a barb item and belonged to a Barbarian who is kind of the incarnation of "One Stands Alone" - judging by lore).  

@crits: yeah, I also tried a D20 (with 20 up) - but it's all too filigree and doesn't look too good because of that. Actually I like the skull stuff pretty much. It's easy to add details to the crit-skull (see Toughened Fury or Bloody Slaughter) and it still looks good, not silly and not too packed. 

For "kill" I think Berath's symbol is ok. For "death" or "ko" of allies/player I think I will use the tombstone/holy cross symbol that I already used with Vengeful Defeat. It also gets used by Paladin's resurrection abilites and so on - so there will be some consistency.

@Chest: I think Phenomenum meant "cross" or "crest" - the plus-symbol I changed a little bit so that it doesn't get confused with the other plus symbol that stands for healing (see Practiced Healer for example.)

Edited by Boeroer

Err... brown? :)

Well, yes. But noble/oak brown, not poop brown)

It kinda gives a sensation of passive sturdiness.

@raw dmg vs. general dmg: good! I can easily swap out those two. No problem.

:thumbs-up:

@Brute Force: the body + arrow - icon looks a bit silly though. As if somebody painted an archery target on his chest and is like "come on! try to hit me!" :)

Hammer shattering the earth at least gives a feeling of "Brute Force". Or I depict somebody using his head to crush a wall...? ;) Or I use an alternative symbol for accuracy - not that target + arrow thing...

It reminds me of Abydons Hammer and it's Ring of the Ancient Forge.

Shattering the Earth imo has to have some non-targeted AoE component in it. And it doesn't give me a sensation that my weapon attacks target fortitude now.

> Head to crush a wall: that's some Juggernaut/Unstoppable stuff.

> An alternative symbol for accuracy: that could do. But what could it be besides the aiming target, which gives a sensation of range weapon?

@One Stands Alone: an icon will seldomly be able to "describe" the whole ability. So if a player really thinks that it only works from the front (judging by the icon) the description should help him. I can also try to bring one ot two spears behind the head. I added a helmet to the head shape because it looked a bit bland before. I like that it looks like Rekvu's Fractured Casque now (which is a barb item and belonged to a Barbarian who is kind of the incarnation of "One Stands Alone" - judging by lore).

Argument taken. Allusion to Rekvu is a nice touch.

And yeah, I would increase the number of spears. From 4 to 5? and a liiitle bit more widespread. But that's super-minor.

@crits: yeah, I also tried a D20 (with 20 up) - but it's all too filigree and doesn't look too good because of that. Actually I like the skull stuff pretty much. It's easy to add details to the crit-skull (see Toughened Fury or Bloody Slaughter) and it still looks good, not silly and not too packed. 

For "kill" I think Berath's symbol is ok. For "death" or "ko" of allies/player I think I will use the tombstone/holy cross symbol that I already used with Vengeful Defeat. It also gets used by Paladin's resurrection abilites and so on - so there will be some consistency.

Makes sense.

@Chest: I think Phenomenum meant "cross" or "crest" - the plus-symbol I changed a little bit so that it doesn't get confused with the other plus symbol that stands for healing (see Practiced Healer for example.)

Ah. That's probable.

Btw, I kinda like those plus containing icons.

Tumbling: +20 Defense against apes that hurl poop at you. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Obviously didn't take Bad Joke Resistance. ;)

I like petrols and turquoise in general. The lower left would be my favorite I think.

+20? That's some ****ty defense :)

As for color sample, uhm... something in that direction?:

xdQfG2s.png

P.S. and here's the initial black:

g8ufAAf.png

All right. I'll do some stuff a bit later. Now i should clean my kithen - my dumb cat had crushed the 3 litre glass decanter with blueberry compot ;( 
All furniture and walls now have a very nice bluish color.

I hate him. Looks like he have no regrets...

gvUw2yr.jpg

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

Looks like i don't do anything with icons today. I'm tired. Anyway, my suggestion is to make all icons in default colors, for beginning, and then we will see if any changes required.

O yeah, they don't regret. They just enjoy the show)

Oh, don't tell me... Seems, my fat bastard was created for one purpose - to make troubles of all kind.

Edited by Phenomenum

- Wilder Hunter: I like it

- Threatening Presence: like it

- Thick Skinned: is quite good. Rhino associates with bonus AR. As for background: how about that cuirass from Armored Grace? But that's minor.

- Accurate Carnage: pretty good

- Blood Surge: really suggestive

- Brute Force: there is a small allusion to cracked shields (and thus AR malus), but I guess that will do

- One Stands Alone: is the asymmetry on purpose?

@One Stands alone: yes. :)

Because if I make it too symmetrical it will look very "circle-ish" once the round mask gets removed (in UIs other than the level-up ability tree). But still looks too circle-ish. So my idea didn't work... :(

@Thick Skinned: I also figured that a Rhino not only has thick skin but also poses a threat - which can relate to the +1 engagement. ;)

The Wilder Hunter icon is actually the top of the Xaurip Shamans' quarterstaffs. Took that from some PoE concept art.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Dirty Fighting is a bit of a joke as well - since it's lying in the dirt. ;)

Good idea with a kick in the crotch! I couldn't come up with something that was easy to depict. That could work.

- Persistent Distraction: le wild idea "a swearing/taunting clown with klaxon horn". Kidding)

- Backstab: looks fine. But that dripping might create an allusion with poison.

- Defensive Roll: good

- Dirty Fighting: uhh, looks like a skull snorting/nibbling something

- Riposte: from afar, looks like violin. But close-up is fine

- Deep Pockets: uhm, how about making two pockets? But if you do so - please don't delete the current version. We could use it for "Extra Pocket" talent for non-rogues ^^

- Adept Evasion: fine

- Deep Wounds: good

- Slipper Mind: "have some eel on your mind?"

- Deathblows: the concept is fine, but something is off. Maybe just leave the damage symbol?

- Murderous Intent: good

- Wall of Flashing Steel: ehm, looks like skeleton in bandana asking for a cigarette

- Dirty Fighting: uhh, looks like a skull snorting/nibbling something

That something is dirt. Dirty Fighting, eh? ;) I like the look, but it was supposed to be a joke because I had no idea what to depict. Kick in the groin like suggested by heldred might work well. Have to try that next.

@Persistent Distraction: first impulse was to use the silhouette of a curvy woman. ;)

@Slippery Mind: He's slippery like an... naaa? ;) Fist impulse was banana peel... on the top of the head.

@Wall of Flashing Steel: ROFL. Why cigarette?  Was supposed to be a flashy pirate, But I also don't like it too much. Next attempt maybe something more musketeer/duelist-style?

Edited by Boeroer