If you didn't look it up, how are you supposed to know where to find evidence of Furrante's slaver involvement?

This quest still bugs me and shows the archaic marriage to old school RPG quest design.

First off, it does make some sense the evidence in his room. But nothing at all points you in that direction. Secondly, he doesn't care at all that just go in and take it, which is typical of a cRPG where you can just take everything unless someone is in your line of sight. Furrante just let's anyone in his room with an easy to pick lock? They should be SOME difficulty in obtaining the evidence even after you know it's there.

The entire quest feels undercooked.

Edited by Verde

I went on a pickpocketing frenzy back in the day to try to evaluate its worth and I ended up finding all sorts of narrative items. It might have been a letter that fleshes out a character, but in at least a few cases it was a quest item, including in one case an alternate ending for a quest that I had never known about (if you pickpocket efonia--or whatever her name is, the vailian vendor in the beach area--in Port maje you get an item that is IIRC a way to make the huana happy regarding the rinco bar brawl). There's no clue that could point you to this, the vendor doesn't even mention anything other than having witnessed the fight. I think it's a random world-building thing that for dutiful explorers opens up extra options.

I stumbled upon Furrante's documents by accident when playing a a deliberately duplicitious and law-breaking PC, and I attributed the discovery to this same thing: just a neat little extra for thorough explorers.

Edited by thelee

I went on a pickpocketing frenzy back in the day to try to evaluate its worth and I ended up finding all sorts of narrative items. It might have been a letter that fleshes out a character, but in at least a few cases it was a quest item, including in one case an alternate ending for a quest that I had never known about (if you pickpocket efonia--or whatever her name is, the vailian vendor in the beach area--in Port maje you get an item that is IIRC a way to make the huana happy regarding the rinco bar brawl). There's no clue that could point you to this, the vendor doesn't even mention anything other than having witnessed the fight. I think it's a random world-building thing that for dutiful explorers opens up extra options.

I stumbled upon Furrante's documents by accident when playing a a deliberately duplicitious and law-breaking PC, and I attributed the discovery to this same thing: just a neat little extra for thorough explorers.

There is actual clue - when you talk to Mokeha and accept her refusal to return money for free you can talk with her mom about it and she'll give a hint to make an exchange. And than, you can ask Valian girl about item and she'll give it without any payment.

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 1

Yeah, I did get it on my initial playthrough, without looking up walktrhough.

Something must pushed me to grabbing it (I try to roleplay so I won't rummage through someone belongings unless I am looking for something. Whenever it was a specific clue or if I was simply looking for ways to incriminate him (Aelys was looking to accuse him of aiding slaves)  I can't remember. 

• Like 1

I've done another playthrough recently and I dont rem anything implying that rummaging through his room was the solution, but your right in the sense that after talking with Aldyes, it makes sense to look for *something*. If anything there should have been evidence at Crookspur.

And from a thematic perspective, Furrante specifically says he got to his position of power by not divulging his secrets...yet he keeps incriminating evidence right in his room, incriminating enough to sentence him to death. Not very smart for such a savvy pirate eh?

Edited by Verde
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2019 at 2:54 PM, Verde said:

And from a thematic perspective, Furrante specifically says he got to his position of power by not divulging his secrets...yet he keeps incriminating evidence right in his room, incriminating enough to sentence him to death. Not very smart for such a savvy pirate eh?

Private space is considered sacred among Príncipi sen Patrena.

yeah, this is one of those quest moments that felt way too easy, like the should be some kind of hurdle on your way.