and I've noticed that there is not a lot of gear for buffing priest spells. The only item I've found so far is Xoti's Lantern. Maybe I'm missing something? I know there's fire and frost PL boosting items but I'm playing more of a support build. Either way, I'm having fun.

There's a pair of very good sandals you might want to check (+1 Casts with Level 2 Priest Spells, +2 DEX, +10% healing done):

Footprints of Ahu Taka

And this ring (+1 Restoration Power Level, +2 Burn AR):

Halgot's Warmth

The Spine of Thicket Green can be enchanted to give you +2 Resoration Power Levels.

Then you might want to check out those items:

With the PL bonuses to Restoration (Xoti's Lantern or Spine oTG + Ring) which grant +5% multiplicative base healing per Power Level (and longer duration), combined with the additive bonuses from MIG and "healing done" effects (items like Physiker's Belt etc. and Practiced Healer) you can get a LOT more mileage out of your Restoration spells. If you add 3 PLs (+15% base healing) and combine it with +45% healing done (15 MIG, Practiced Healer, belt, torc) you end up with an increase healing (per spell or tick) of +~67% healing. And that's something... Those items, MIG and Practised Healer in general work well with increased Power Level. Stack as much as you can.

Note that usually all aspects of a spell will rise as soon as it has the Restoration Keyword - even the parts that don't heal. Examples: Iconic Projection, Hand of Weal and Woe, Triumph of the Crusaders and so on. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

and I've noticed that there is not a lot of gear for buffing priest spells. The only item I've found so far is Xoti's Lantern. Maybe I'm missing something? I know there's fire and frost PL boosting items but I'm playing more of a support build. Either way, I'm having fun.

I recently uploaded the priest of Eothas for my Dynamic Priests mod; it might interest you.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/287

• Like 2

Thanks Boeroer! I dunno how I missed these things. The ring and sandals should help quite a bit. Even with just the belt and lantern Triumph is super strong. Everywhere I look online it seems Priests get bashed on but I'm really enjoying it.

I might try some mods out but I'd like to beat the game vanilla mode first. I've definitely looked at your mod Stardusk and it looks awesome.

They are surely weaker than in PoE (that might explain the bashing) but I also think they are quite enjoyable and useful in Deadfire, especially in a party.

Only gripe I have is the limited spell portfolio you will have - without a helpful mechanic to expand that selection (like Wizards who can use Grimoires) a Priest can sometimes feel a bit... onesided?

Totally depends on your party setup. If you have a very balanced party it's not that good I think while it's very good if you have some dedicated killers who need healing support. Like Shadowdancers for example.

My well trusted friend Eder as swashy magekiller for example? Charge, Mule Kick, Finishing Blow, next caster. Think I will try it out. Thx for your hints.

Eder is an awesome tank as a Swashy. For a Mage killer I'd go with Eder Rogue or custom Assassin.

The Priest could use a little love, maybe with a few unique passive abilities or something of the sort.

Triumph helps keep my damage dealers alive. For example I'm running Xoti as a SC monk for flanking and picking off pesky caster types and she's often not in range of my circle of healing. Same with Aloth. Each kill fills their health back up to full. Not so useful when you're fighting a small group though.

Thanks Verde. Tried Eder as tank; he's indeed awesome; but in my current run (PotD without level scaling) Pallegina is main tank, Eder Swashy & PC Arcane Knight are offtanks & DDs.

Eder Rogue: Maybe in another playthrough (after the next patch -- the one that will fix all the new bugs ;)).

Like every other PLIV Priest spell, Triumph of Crusader's biggest problem is that it competes with Devotions. It's only worth the ability point and spending a chance to cast Devotions if it has specific synergy with your party's needs, as Boeroer indicated. Devotions is always good in every party and every situation.

• Like 1

Lost me at “playing a priest”

Without mods, priests are uninspiring, but should you go down this path you will eventually realize other classes do everything better and faster. I keep pushing the “priests are mediocre” point in case devs still read this board.

Just wish 4.2 had some priest love... my biggest issues are cast times, especially for buffs, and potency/effectiveness of mid-tier spells. PL8-9 there are some good spells, but need pure priest then and other pure-classes are better (opinion).

Before I cause a riot, all classes can be effective, but my point is that Priest could use a strong look at spell values and cast times PL 1-7. If you put a global 30% reduction on cast and recovery it might help... I just feel like my mages are roadrunners compared to my priests (especially with buffs).

Just randomly bashing Priests when the OP states they're having fun with one is fairly unhelpful. I doubt it's a constructive way to get your point across to the devs, either. You come across as rude and trolling.

You also don't actually give numbers or examples as to how other classes are faster/better. A developer definitely isn't going to change the Priest without concrete evidence of how they're "bad".

Priests offer some strong party buff support along with off-healing and off-dps. No other caster has quite the same package.

Wizards only really self-buff alongside their dps and debuffs. No heals. Druids have very limited party buffs, as do Ciphers, and they can only heal with Pain Block. Chanters have the most similar package over all but their party buffs rarely overlap and their healing has a different niche.

Some priest spells just immediately make your party significantly stronger in any situation (Devotions, Dire Blessing) while others you can pick for specific synergies they have with star party members (Litany for the Spirit on a Druid at the beginning of a fight makes that Druid significantly more powerful, for one example). 

Priests can have irreplaceable roles in parties. I know Vatnir secured his role in mine after trying out several other options. 

Guess you misse the, “before I cause a riot” clause where I acknowledge any class can be effective. I’m simply pointing out that other classes (no mods) do the priest’s job better (healing, dps, debuffs, etc) and party-wise buffs are too slow compared to how quickly combat is resolved at higher levels.

Guess you misse the, “before I cause a riot” clause where I acknowledge any class can be effective. I’m simply pointing out that other classes (no mods) do the priest’s job better (healing, dps, debuffs, etc) and party-wise buffs are too slow compared to how quickly combat is resolved at higher levels.

What? I did not just say "priests can be effective", I clearly was saying that priests have a valuable role that other classes cannot replicate. Maybe read the post again?

I just feel like my mages are roadrunners compared to my priests (especially with buffs).

Which party-buffs does a wizard have? Isn't is a totally reasonable thing that a buff for 5 people takes longer than a self buff?

Example: Disciplined Barrage (0.5 sec cast, self buff, Aware, 15 sec duration) vs. Dire Blessing (3.0 sec cast, 2.5 m radius AoE, Aware, 30 sec duration). Seems totally fair that putting the same Inspiration on 5 party members for twice the time takes a bit longer to cast. 

Well, most of priest inspirations are single target unfortunately (which doesnt feel good at all, considering you had AOE affliction resistances in PoE1 instead). And some of the strong buffs are just way too slow, like Champion's Boon, 3sec cast 3sec recovery for ONE target... Not counting the seals being extremely underwhelming, all and all priest only has a couple of very specific spells that are good while the vast majority are quite crap...

in PoE1, you unlocked almost your entire spell repertoire "for free" as you leveled up, resulting in you having much more options for all kind of situations.

Right now unless your party specifically combos with either Barring's Death Door, Salvation of Time, of Spark the Souls, Priests feels extremely weak and not well rounded at all...

Inspirations being AoE and instant casts for "at least" single target spells would be a decent start, but won't bring priest even close to what it was in poe1...

To be clear, I completely understand a Wizard is a selfish bastard with self-only buffs, BUT they are lightning fast and rock! I can slap on 6x wiz buffs and my priest is still recovering from his first action.

My point is, all classes can be fun and enjoyable, but when squeezing out the 99.99% of efficiency in group play you just pair 3-4 classes with wiz for survivabiity, combined with flexibility to cc, debuff, dps, etc. A priest, outside of diversity and flavor, is not in the same zip code as a wiz.

To be clear, I completely understand a Wizard is a selfish bastard with self-only buffs, BUT they are lightning fast and rock! I can slap on 6x wiz buffs and my priest is still recovering from his first action.

My point is, all classes can be fun and enjoyable, but when squeezing out the 99.99% of efficiency in group play you just pair 3-4 classes with wiz for survivabiity, combined with flexibility to cc, debuff, dps, etc. A priest, outside of diversity and flavor, is not in the same zip code as a wiz.

If you cast 6 self buffs, you have taken away one third of all his casts for that battle for passive things that do not interact with other characters, which isn't really fun, at least from my perspective (and that is assuming your character is PL9, so late game only). There is always a tradeoff.

I like the way priests function. They have good single target buffs, good party wide buffs, good heals, decent offensive spells, good utilty, good roleplay perspective and some of the coolest summons in the game (Berath's Avatar plz). Overall they offer good gameplay and roleplay variety.

They can pump out the spells quickly enough.

I do agree though that it is not a class for powergaming enthusiasts, but that is a preference matter, not a balance issue. In my (humble) opinion, the marker to see if a class is balanced is:

Does it functions as intended and is fun to play in normal/veteran difficulty. Priest sure does feel like it achieves this goal.

Edited by Myrtillo

I think there's no discussion which Priest version (PoE1 or Deadfire) is more powerful. But that's not the point if you want to know how the Priest class compares to the other classes in Deadfire when it comes to balance.

The only gripe I have with Priests in Deadfire is their limited spell portfolio (the one you choose/compose at level-up) which forces you to skip most situational spells. Druids suffer from the same problem but at least have an additional alternative mechanic (Spiritshift). Wizards have Grimoires. If Priests (and Druids) had some trinkets that would add spells to their chosen ones (see grimoire) and maybe grant an additional cast here and there or a PL bonus for a keyword they would be in a fine place.

Edited by Boeroer

Well you're basically wishing for PoE1 priest back at this point...

All "situationnal" abilities unlocked for free as part of the progression, and then you specialized by improving some of the abilities in different ways (radiance mostly) or adding "per encounter" spells to your repertoire, giving them grimoires etc would basically bring them closer to what they used to be. I do agree picking "situationnal" spells in deadfire feels awful.

To be fair, i also prefered the way grimoires worked in PoE1. In deadfire i find it very hard to justify using anything else than Ninagauth's... In PoE1 wizard felt more like D&D, where you could learn spells from grimoires, adapt your available spells on the go, make different custom grimoires etc... You had more flexibility, and some interesting passives like Blast. Respeccing was a nightmare tho as you would lose all spells you've learnt...

Now as a single class wizard, you can't really rely on grimoire for spells and build around strong passives, because we only have generic ones that doesnt do much for you. So you end up picking Ninagauth's, selecting all the spells you want to access to without having to change grimoire, and there you go... The single wizard build is pretty much set and you can't really add much flavor to it... Each raw has couple of spells that stand out while other choices are strictly inferior in most cases

Grimoires are nice for multiclass however (especially the martial grimoires), as they give you a lot of spells for free, but single class feels off to me.

It's still the class i prefer to play, but i'm not enjoying deadfire grimoire design combined with 0 cool passives...

I agree, the “static” grimoire in POE2 felt like a step backwards.

In addition, I agree with the narrow spell choices of a priest. You cherry-pick the best spells and reapec into one or two for situational battles. If priests gained 2 spells at each PL it might help.

I’m still bummed about the speed on priest buffs and I know their buffs will never be measured in milliseconds like a Wiz, but 6 seconds from action to recovery (baseline) is insane. In most fights you are better chucking a CC and/or a Nuke in the same window. In my experience, you are better off immediately nuking/cc-one in any fight, rather than lose 6 secs. I like wiz because I can rip two buffs (+deflection and +armor) for survivability and then start to cc/nuke within a fraction of a second. Yes, you could have a dedicated buffer, but why? Unless playing glass cannons, most frontline melee can survive unbuffed in combat (and have their own rapid healing or buffs), and with the right back line of caster, there is nothing left after two rounds of casting (outside of boss battles).

I think priest buffs (and healing) work fine until level 10-12, but after that, battles become nuclear strikes, with the first side to initiate a spell-launch is the winning side (due to cc, interrupts, damage, debuffs, etc). If you build a party around all hybrid casters that are sturdy without buffs even (monk/wiz, pali/Druid, etc.), in the first 3 seconds a full-party of casters can effectively deliver 5,000+ points of damage in an AOE... the nuclear strike really removes the need for any buffing, but if you had to buff, it’s nice to do it in a half second and still participate in a 3-4 second spell salvo.

For the record, every class is fun, but my preference focuses on battle efficiency for group-tactics and the it is hard to counter a 5x-caster spell assault (especially if targeting a foe’s weakness).