So...where are all of the abilities gained in POE1?

The save import even takes into account things like scale breaker and whether you learned it or not, what faction you sided with in Defiance Bay yet doesnt seem to give a crap about giving you much back in game but that's really the tip of the iceberg. Is there a reason in the lore why the watcher was stripped of pretty much every single thing?
I know you

can supposedly get gift from the machine and companion sacrifice bonus back during the game

but where is everything else? What is the reason? Obsidian rushed the game and didn't bother to balance for these? aka 'screw lore continuity'?

Blooded Hunter, Dungeon Delver, God Boons, Song of the Heavens, The Merciless Hand

Crucible of the Soul, Dominion of the Sleepers, Speaker to the Restless, Steps to the Wheel, Sever the Soul, Scale-Breaker

Dozens' Luck, Flick of the Wrist 

These are only what's missing from my watcher, there are more out there.

It's not like there weren't opportunities to implement these again...

Flick of the wrist during the ship encounter where you play Orlan's head
Dozens' luck when you play dice in Fort Deadlight
etc
Could have gotten even lazier and less creative than this and just gradually gain back abilities each time you encounter Eothas and gain a part of your soul back.

The missing parts of your soul are the only logical lore related reason why these abilities would be missing, yet you get your soul back and dont regain jack sh..

Edited by DiabloStorm

but where is everything else? What is the reason? Obsidian rushed the game and didn't bother to balance for these? aka 'screw lore continuity'?

man, just constantly assuming bad faith....

and anyway you can literally change you race and gender on top of your character and starting at level 1. it's more exceptional that you get the gift from the machine/sacrifice buff in the first place rather than that you're missing everything else.

Edited by thelee

man, just constantly assuming bad faith....

I'm open to real reasons. Trust me, I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by DiabloStorm

The real reason is probably the desire to start essentially from scratch. This is why you're brought back to level 1, etc. It is logically consistent with all of this. Given that, I don't mind it at all.

I'm fine with level 1. It's kind of necessary even if hypothetically there happened to be no lore related reason. That's okay with me. Just the unexplained loss of abilities my watcher gained previously is the issue, especially with the bait and switch of the save import asking specific questions and then your answers making no difference at all....or was there dialogue? If so, that's okay but lacklustre and pretty lazy on it's own. Completely lost opportunity to give watcher back the abilities and plenty of people expected to see things like scale-breaker return due to the save import feature.

Matter of fact, for accountability's sake, if you dig through the custom history creator, do you encounter ANYTHING at all pertaining to the subjects they question? Legit question. It's not well documented on the web. I know for some things there is reactivity in deadfire, for others it's either not apparent, it's briefly mentioned in dialogue or is unheard of ever again.

Closest I've seen to a compiled list is here but it's blank in a ton of areas 

Edited by DiabloStorm
  • Like 1

I definitely get the sense that my PoE game makes a difference. There's Vela, there's a whole lot of things in dialogue, there are comments from the gods themselves, there are a few items. All of that's good. I can't see how something as small as scale-breaker makes a meaningful difference: it's a very specific minor talent for an extremely limited number of potential fights.

Expectations in general are not a very good thing, I would say. They have a tendency to make things a lot more disappointing than they'd otherwise be.

I definitely get the sense that my PoE game makes a difference. There's Vela, there's a whole lot of things in dialogue, there are comments from the gods themselves, there are a few items. All of that's good. I can't see how something as small as scale-breaker makes a meaningful difference: it's a very specific minor talent for an extremely limited number of potential fights.

Expectations in general are not a very good thing, I would say. They have a tendency to make things a lot more disappointing than they'd otherwise be.

Lol, you're focusing on scale breaker only in spite of my original post?

Edited my last post for emphasis for someone like you, who seems to be trolling now since you didn't seem to catch what I now put in bold and underlined

I'll spell it out for you.

No

Not only Scale breaker

Blooded Hunter, Dungeon Delver, God Boons, Song of the Heavens, The Merciless Hand

Crucible of the Soul, Dominion of the Sleepers, Speaker to the Restless, Steps to the Wheel, Sever the Soul, Scale-Breaker

Dozens' Luck, Flick of the Wrist 

etc

Also, it's not only these, I haven't seen a ton of very apparent carry-overs from poe1, what you've mentioned is barely anything at all. Dialogue is okay, but seeing familiar characters, items, abilities, actual gameplay is always going to be more substantial

I will agree about expectations though, but that's what you get with sequels. POE1 was fresh and new and warranted no additional expectations that a sequel would.

Edited by DiabloStorm

I was not focusing on scale-breaker, merely commenting on the specific thing you yourself brought up in your previous comment.

Acting like other people are infinitely inferior to your intelligence does not reflect well upon you at all. So have a good day!

• Like 4

If you need an ingame-explanation: you died and lost a big part of your soul (the real powerful part that is trapped within Eothas and which he doesn't want to let go off too soon sine he needs it to propel him forward). Your fractured soul went to the Beyond and Berath took that part and stuffed it back into your body. That's the explanation why you go back to lvl1 and loose ALL stuff from PoE beides a few broken items - and it may also be the explanation why you lose the story talents. You can get them back later (some of them) while reclaiming parts of your lost soul. Those may be the parts that "contained" those missing abilites.

Nice touch, isn't it? :)

Nobody's trolling here though. I only see mildly annoyed reactions to your usual posting style. 

• Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It would have been nice to get back more than just the "evil choice" boons and I would have greatly preferred if you kept the PoE1 god boon instead of getting... a cake. At least getting some extra talents at that third meeting would have made sense, given how it ends wrt to your soul.

That said, there is a fair amount of reactivity to your PoE1 choices. The list you linked is very much incomplete and inaccurate for some points.

Some of the talents you want implemented could also be somewhat difficult and/or impossible to implement with the new system. I remember looking at a mod that gave them back and that modder had to change Flick of the Wrist to dagger/stiletto proficiency because the way weapons are tagged (or not tagged) doesn't allow a clean implementation of the way the talent was in PoE1. I'd hope Obsidian is better at implementing abilities than a random modder but it's still an example of how it could have been a lot more work (more $) for something that only affects a very small subset of player (those that repeatedly gambled in a PoE1 DLC and want to use daggers/stilettos).

• Like 1

Guest Blutwurstritter

I don't think that works properly as an ingame explanation. Why have Eder and Aloth also lost their levels/abilities ? To be sure, i don't mind it but 

i don't think that there is a proper explanation regarding the aspect of continuity. While the explanation works for the Watcher, it does

not apply to the other characters unless i missed something ?

If you need an ingame-explanation: you died and lost a big part of your soul (the real powerful part that is trapped within Eothas and which he doesn't want to let go off too soon sine he needs it to propel him forward). Your fractured soul went to the Beyond and Berath took that part and stuffed it back into your body. That's the explanation why you go back to lvl1 and loose ALL stuff from PoE beides a few broken items - and it may also be the explanation why you lose the story talents. You can get them back later (some of them) while reclaiming parts of your lost soul. Those may be the parts that "contained" those missing abilites.

Nice touch, isn't it? :)

Nobody's trolling here though. I only see mildly annoyed reactions to your usual posting style. 

The choice for how you delt with Never Far from the Queen doesnt seem to have any reactivity, violence vs. non-violence and deception. That's a shame bc those were two decidedly different approaches.

Edited by Verde

It would have been nice to get back more than just the "evil choice" boons and I would have greatly preferred if you kept the PoE1 god boon instead of getting... a cake. At least getting some extra talents at that third meeting would have made sense, given how it ends wrt to your soul.

That said, there is a fair amount of reactivity to your PoE1 choices. The list you linked is very much incomplete and inaccurate for some points.

Some of the talents you want implemented could also be somewhat difficult and/or impossible to implement with the new system. I remember looking at a mod that gave them back and that modder had to change Flick of the Wrist to dagger/stiletto proficiency because the way weapons are tagged (or not tagged) doesn't allow a clean implementation of the way the talent was in PoE1. I'd hope Obsidian is better at implementing abilities than a random modder but it's still an example of how it could have been a lot more work (more $) for something that only affects a very small subset of player (those that repeatedly gambled in a PoE1 DLC and want to use daggers/stilettos).

Me and (I presume) Phenomenum have been talking with the author of that mod, yes it is a mess to implement, I'm seeing that first-hand now. We are trying to come up with ways to make it work without it being OP and broken. But, with that said, what a modder can do is nice but assuredly it's far from what the actual developers can accomplish.

We made progress though, I haven't tested it yet but Flick of the Wrist should be working the same as it had in poe1. Check it out here (once it's been updated that is)

Edited by DiabloStorm

Me and (I presume) Phenomenum

You are right ;)

So far, it goes well. We need to balance only few things. Most tricky part is to transfer DR reduction to current AR/PEN system.

So?

They are just dumb bonuses. Honestly i wouldnt even know what bonuses came from what decision if they had been carried over. I wouldnt be impressed or appreciative they were carried over. This lore you speak of is not important to focus on.

So?

They are just dumb bonuses. Honestly i wouldnt even know what bonuses came from what decision if they had been carried over. I wouldnt be impressed or appreciative they were carried over. This lore you speak of is not important to focus on.

Edited by Amentep
removed image due to abundance of caution
  • Like 1

Phenomenum: Interesting, isn't it, how casually folks on forums like these use extraordinarily demeaning pictures to illustrate their jokes, and even more interesting how it tends to be women who are demeaned. What does this tell about the attitudes of these guys?

Edited by xzar_monty

Phenomenum: Interesting, isn't it, how casually folks on forums like these use extraordinarily demeaning pictures to illustrate their jokes, and even more interesting how it tends to be women who are demeaned. What does this tell about the attitudes of these guys?

Did you just assume a bunch of genders?

Seriously though, these things are off topic

Paladin of SJW Order detected.

Subclass bonus: +20 Resolve.

Subclass penalty: -20 Intellect.

• Like 1

That was a strangely improper knee-jerk reaction to a perfectly legitimate and politely phrased question. The haughty comment on intelligence makes someone look particularly foolish. But let us stop this here, there's clearly no way forward in any constructive manner.

Edited by xzar_monty

I, as a woman, honestly see nothing wrong with a picture of cute anime girl with naked butt used to illustrate the joke. But I always give a kinda "wierdo" look to person who claims, with a straight face, that it is a bad thing to do because some sane rational adult can find this picture(!) offensive.

Can't talk for everyone, of course, it may be a cultural thing. 

That is a good thing about being a girl yourself - you can call Xoti obsessive bitch and everyone will question your taste in characters instead of berating you for being horrible person who demeans a poor young lady.

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 3

That was a strangely improper knee-jerk reaction to a perfectly legitimate and politely phrased question. The haughty comment on intelligence makes someone look particularly foolish. But let us stop this here, there's clearly no way forward in any constructive manner.

Becouse you had seen something offensive behind this picture (i imagine what) - but this "something" is only in your mind. And even if you don't like this kind of jokes, why you can't just silently pass trough? You basically trying to blame other people (me in particular) for something that exist only in your head. What do you expect? A polite discussion? Excuses from me?

The thing is, my little JSW paladin - and realizing that may be difficult for you - all peoples is different, and you can't blame someone left and right, becose other people's actions not corresponding to your own morale and rules. Period.

Edited by Phenomenum