My position on the Epic exclusive situation

I have been a huge fan of Obsidian, and Black Isle before it, for many years. I am angry about this, sure, but mostly I am just deeply sad and disappointed. I feel the need to calmly explain my position.

1. I have no problem at all with competition for Steam. Open a store, trade games, offer community services, good developer services. If you beat Steam, fine. Steam could do with a good kick up the backside. I am quite happy to buy games from multiple sources so long as I get a Steam key if I want one.

2. I will not fragment my library. I am not interersted in running multiple launchers. If I am unable to get a Steam key for a game it doesn't exists as far as I'm concerned. Steam is centre of where my gaming identity and my gaming community lies and is where my gaming friends are.

3. This is not to say I will never change that, just that there will have a to be a very strong reason to do so, to wit, something that I think is a significantly and materially a better experience than Steam offers and crucially many or most of my friends do too.

4. But I will certainly not be coerced into fragementing my library.

5. Obsidian have accepted a bribe for an exclusive deal with Epic so that they (Epic) can attempt to blackmail me into installing their launcher. I am devastated that Obsidian have sunk to such depths. Suffice it say that my opinion of Obsidian has changed dramatically. Perhaps it is just that Obsidian has changed and I've only just realised it.

6. I will not be buying Outer Worlds on Epic under any circumstances, or any other game on that platform, ever, in view of their business practices revolving around bribery and blackmail. This is huge disappointment because I was greatly looking forward to it.

7. I am at this point undecided as to whether I will buy any game in future by any developer that has involved themselves with this Epic bribery/blackmail scam. I may buy Outer Worlds when it is released on Steam, I may not. It will certainly give me pause before I hit the buy button.

It is not blackmail.

You don't need to purchase this game.

It merely exists for entertainment and has no bearing on anything important.

Nor is it a bribe to sign an exclusivity deal, though I am pretty sure I used that one before myself. People just like being overdramatic and take the high moral ground. HashtagFirstWorldProblems
  • Like 5

I'm waiting to hear what Ja Rule has to say on this.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It is not blackmail.

You don't need to purchase this game.

It merely exists for entertainment and has no bearing on anything important.

Nor is it a bribe to sign an exclusivity deal, though I am pretty sure I used that one before myself. People just like being overdramatic and take the high moral ground. HashtagFirstWorldProblems

Well yeah, I mean I probably won't even bother downloading this Epic bollocks but it's becoming incredibly tedious seeing the same old sh*te over and over. It's just boring!

BOOOOOOOORIINNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

nowt