Using consumables without quickslots? Any way?

Else I don't know why they want to take away qol features that don't affect game balance at all.

could you do this drag and drop in combat? because that would affect game balance. if you could use any arbitrary consumable from your inventory, that is much more powerful than only being allowed to use 4-6 consumables. quickslots are a constraint. In BG/BG2, quickslots were a convenience (moreso in traditional BG where opening the inventory didn't pause the game), since the only reason you would need to put an item in a quickslot was if it was not a self-buff (e.g. targeted or a summoning item).

Yea but BG didn't have items that lasted for that long. It also didn't have scripted interactions that could be affected by potions or drugs. I think PoE has far too many consumables and most of them stack now in PoEII, makes my character end game with 30 in every stat kinda lame.

this leads to a major gripe of mine. deadfire has all these consumables that increase your skills, but you can't actually use these items in world-map or scripted encounters (unless you access them directly from a local map). they are pretty much pointless even if you would have had the metagame knowledge to know when to use them. (also, most local map skill checks are either so low that you don't need to bother, so inconsequential that you don't need to bother [just a bit of extra flavor text in dialogue], or are so high that you should have already been investing them dedicatedly. fallout 1/2/new vegas with their numerous and varied hard checks this is not)

You can only have one drug at a time so I dont see how this would be changing anything but making life easier for us. It's not like we are asking them to overhaul the drug mechanics. For other consumables, which ones could you exactly exploit? Seems like an arbitrary limitation.

i'm constantly limited by what consumables to bring in. it's having maximum freedom. never have to make decisions. if unfettered by combat usage, it's powerful. oh? a xaurip skirmisher coming my way? i didn't need to put antidote in my quickslot, i can just it straight from stash. pull up some potions of might resistance if needed, or intellect resistance against fampyrs. tank being hit too hard, drink potion of spirt shield. ooop, i blew through my stack of 5 potions of minor healing? no problem, i still have lots more in my stash.

quickslots force you to make decision pre-combat and punish you for making the wrong decisions.

outside of combat, being limited to one drug and a handful of other potions (antidotes, luminous adra) basically means drag and drop doesn't serve as much utility as in poe1.

Edited by thelee

Else I don't know why they want to take away qol features that don't affect game balance at all.

could you do this drag and drop in combat? because that would affect game balance. if you could use any arbitrary consumable from your inventory, that is much more powerful than only being allowed to use 4-6 consumables. quickslots are a constraint. In BG/BG2, quickslots were a convenience (moreso in traditional BG where opening the inventory didn't pause the game), since the only reason you would need to put an item in a quickslot was if it was not a self-buff (e.g. targeted or a summoning item).

Yea but BG didn't have items that lasted for that long. It also didn't have scripted interactions that could be affected by potions or drugs. I think PoE has far too many consumables and most of them stack now in PoEII, makes my character end game with 30 in every stat kinda lame.

this leads to a major gripe of mine. deadfire has all these consumables that increase your skills, but you can't actually use these items in world-map or scripted encounters (unless you access them directly from a local map). they are pretty much pointless even if you would have had the metagame knowledge to know when to use them. (also, most local map skill checks are either so low that you don't need to bother, so inconsequential that you don't need to bother [just a bit of extra flavor text in dialogue], or are so high that you should have already been investing them dedicatedly. fallout 1/2/new vegas with their numerous and varied hard checks this is not)

You can only have one drug at a time so I dont see how this would be changing anything but making life easier for us. It's not like we are asking them to overhaul the drug mechanics. For other consumables, which ones could you exactly exploit? Seems like an arbitrary limitation.

i'm constantly limited by what consumables to bring in. it's having maximum freedom. never have to make decisions. if unfettered by combat usage, it's powerful. oh? a xaurip skirmisher coming my way? i didn't need to put antidote in my quickslot, i can just it straight from stash. pull up some potions of might resistance if needed, or intellect resistance against fampyrs. tank being hit too hard, drink potion of spirt shield. ooop, i blew through my stack of 5 potions of minor healing? no problem, i still have lots more in my stash.

quickslots force you to make decision pre-combat and punish you for making the wrong decisions.

outside of combat, being limited to one drug and a handful of other potions (antidotes, luminous adra) basically means drag and drop doesn't serve as much utility as in poe1.

I could hop in POE1 to put this to rest but I don't remember ever using or being able to use items inside of the inventory whilst already in combat.

The consumable thing is interesting in the sense that there's a whole lot of combinations of foods you can cook, potions you can brew and scrolls that you can scribe -- but you absolutely don't need any of it. This is very, very different from the importance that potions, for instance, generally have in RPGs. (Not complaining, just pointing out the way it looks to me.)

Food is actually quite powerful tho. I really didnt "discover" it until my third playthrough. If you kill one of the whales when sailing through a reef you get 20 - 30 Mahora Meat which is +3 Might. There some other comparable foods too. I'd say they are only really necessary for Splintered Reef and all the charm nonsense.

@thelee

Not asking to change any mechanics whatsoever, just the ability to use from inventory when outside of combat, such as Potion of Allure, Thief's Putting, Incense, etc. It's a QoL request thats it. In combat I agree with you but that's how the system has always been.

Edited by Verde
  • Like 2

Verde: Not questioning the fact that food is powerful. I agree it is. More like saying that given the game's (lack of) difficulty, these buffs are very rarely needed, if indeed ever.

Yeah agreed. Nice to haves but not generally necessary.

Verde: Not questioning the fact that food is powerful. I agree it is. More like saying that given the game's (lack of) difficulty, these buffs are very rarely needed, if indeed ever.

I do not agree once we speak about soloing on PoTD - which OP is doing.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

IMHO PEN food is the best option available when you do not need affliction immunity. Hot Razor Skewers for +2 PEN, +2 Might and +1 PL is a rough equivalent of whole class feature, and Magic version is pretty good too with +10% damage and 20% AOE Radius. They are also can be bought in Neketaka from food vendors in RDC Tavern and on the street and regularly replenished, so there is no need to look for crafting components to have it always active.

Edited by Daidre

I use drugs ... and eat food.  I like the poisons ... you can apply to weapons, and use the summoning items all the time.  I use potions a lot (mostly healing) but occasionally in super tough fights for me use the buffing potions.

EDIT:  And I would use a feature for using drugs that made them easier to use.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy