Using consumables without quickslots? Any way?

Remember back in POE1 when you could drag and drop drugs, food etc onto your character from the inventory to use them? Those sure were the days. Apparently practicality and ease of use is a thing of the past in this game. Is there any way around this? Mod? I don't want to have to equip items to quickslots and use them one by one like some invalid.

Edited by DiabloStorm

I've literally 1000+ hours on PoE1 and I've never known you could do this. I'm not typical, but I would hesitate to call such a feature "practical" or "ease of use" (I can't think of many other RPGs where this interaction exists... maybe some of the newer Ultimas?)

I don't remember how it worked in PoE1 anymore, but in Deadfire many consumables are blocked as "combat only." I don't know how such a UI feature (in addition to being non-discoverable) would interact with this reality. BG and BG2 let you right-click and arbitrarily consume consumables from anywhere in the inventory, but BG/BG2 didn't care about in-combat distinctions for most things.

Edited by thelee

I've literally 1000+ hours on PoE1 and I've never known you could do this. I'm not typical, but I would hesitate to call such a feature "practical" or "ease of use" (I can't think of many other RPGs where this interaction exists... maybe some of the newer Ultimas?)

I don't remember how it worked in PoE1 anymore, but in Deadfire many consumables are blocked as "combat only." I don't know how such a UI feature (in addition to being non-discoverable) would interact with this reality. BG and BG2 let you right-click and arbitrarily consume consumables from anywhere in the inventory, but BG/BG2 didn't care about in-combat distinctions for most things.

Might want to use the game feature i'm referring to before assuming it didn't add practicality or ease of use. Though I am just now realizing you can only have one drug effect active at a time in POE2....wtf is that? Not liking that change.

POE1: Prebuff before difficult fight, click and drag over (within inventory of course) all drug/food item buffs you want and be done.

How exactly is that not practical compared to tediously unequipping anything you had in your quickslots, searching through stash for drug item, equipping drug item into quickslot, exiting out of menus, mousing over bag, finding drug item, using drug item, waiting for animation to finish, going back into inventory, removing drug item to stash/inventory, putting items you originally had in quickslots back.

vs

drag and drop onto character model to use

??????????????????????????

combat use only items are obviously excluded

Edited by DiabloStorm

I agree with Diablo here. It very tedious when you wanna use something like Potion of Allure every so often but don't want to slot it. It's simply adding more steps, nothing of value. I should be able to use a consumable via inventory selection and not just quick slots.

Edited by Verde

Might want to use the game feature i'm referring to before assuming it didn't add practicality or ease of use. Though I am just now realizing you can only have one drug effect active at a time in POE2....wtf is that? Not liking that change.

POE1: Prebuff before difficult fight, click and drag over (within inventory of course) all drug/food item buffs you want and be done.

How exactly is that not practical compared to tediously unequipping anything you had in your quickslots, searching through stash for drug item, equipping drug item into quickslot, exiting out of menus, mousing over bag, finding drug item, using drug item, waiting for animation to finish, going back into inventory, removing drug item to stash/inventory, putting items you originally had in quickslots back.

vs

i was saying that it was arguably not practical or ease of use if it was completely non-discoverable. sorry if it wasn't clear. there are similar such features in Deadfire that I'm like "WHY ISN'T THIS BROADCAST MORE??" like the ability to copy items from one weapon slot to another.

and, i actually did do a lot of unequipping and re-equipping of consumables in quickslots in PoE1. fortunately combat times were faster and drug and food durations longer so i didn't have to do this a lot.

i'll bet this is deadfire moving further along poe's continual push against pre-buffing. you can't even eat food anymore, they are just rest bonuses. drugs are pretty much the only long-duration consumable, and they aren't even that long duration anymore (due to slower combat times and memory makes me think they have shorter base durations as well). in such a world, there's not much in the way of multiples you could actually consume regularly making such a feature much less worh the time to implement.

Edited by thelee

what are these fantastic things you are discussing?  who knew about this? And there I was always setting up my characters with potions, drugs etc like DnD games lol.  What is this copy thing??  I have seen the icon but you can put the same shield in two weapons slots????  this is potentially an amazing feature - or same weapon with two shields???  Or omg the possibilities are endless!!!!

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I made a post about this a while ago: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108802-deadfire-polishing-thread/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2144760

This thread reminded me about one annoying UI design oversight: we can't use consumables by simply drag it to character portrait / model, like in PoE 1. Nooo, this days, if you want to use some drugs, you must go to Inventory, place consumables you want you use into Quick Items slots for every character, then close Inventory, click on every character's Quick slot to use consumables and then again open Inventory screen to place some scroll or potion in free Quick slot.

I always wanted to ask UI designer, who "designed" this ****: "Are you REALLY like it and feel comfortable to use?"

There's a two possible solutions:

a) Allow to use consumables (drugs and balsams) by dragging it to character portrait (PoE 1 style)

b) Add "Use" button in items description sheet:

kfOF5FV.png

BUT!!! Then i realized It leads to one downside: Using consumables this way, gives you option to open Inventory during the fight and use whatever you want - 100 potions and so on. The solution is restrict Drugs to Non-combat only, but you can't do the same for potions. Or Inventory needs to be completely locked during combat.

So it easy to say, but not so easy to implement feature like this.

• Like 1

vs

i was saying that it was arguably not practical or ease of use if it was completely non-discoverable. sorry if it wasn't clear. there are similar such features in Deadfire that I'm like "WHY ISN'T THIS BROADCAST MORE??" like the ability to copy items from one weapon slot to another.

and, i actually did do a lot of unequipping and re-equipping of consumables in quickslots in PoE1. fortunately combat times were faster and drug and food durations longer so i didn't have to do this a lot.

i'll bet this is deadfire moving further along poe's continual push against pre-buffing. you can't even eat food anymore, they are just rest bonuses. drugs are pretty much the only long-duration consumable, and they aren't even that long duration anymore (due to slower combat times and memory makes me think they have shorter base durations as well). in such a world, there's not much in the way of multiples you could actually consume regularly making such a feature much less worh the time to implement.

In that case I agree with you, the lack of transparency in these games, no tutorials, no explanations, learning the hard way, forced to google search everything - I think it's utter BS.

what are these fantastic things you are discussing?  who knew about this? And there I was always setting up my characters with potions, drugs etc like DnD games lol.  What is this copy thing??  I have seen the icon but you can put the same shield in two weapons slots????  this is potentially an amazing feature - or same weapon with two shields???  Or omg the possibilities are endless!!!!

So how do you copy items from one weapon slot to another? I've wanted to do this, to be able to use the same shield with a different weapon, but haven't been able to.

He's referring to this I think. Personally, I've never used it or checked it out.

3jYKl2F.jpg

Maybe Obsidian thinks it's fun for players to discover things on their own - possibly... But I can't imagine how irritating it would be to find out after 1000 hours of playing there was a simpler, faster, more time effective way of doing something in game all due to the fact that the developers failed to explain from the beginning. They should keep in mind all of the things they spent time on programming, developing...it's wasted time if nobody knows it exists to be used!

Edited by DiabloStorm

To limit the things they needed to create they limited use of items through slots and not through inventory. I think it was a solid choice. Is it kind of a hassle when you want to use multiple items, yes. Is it something I can live with? Yes. I hardly ever use consumables however so it doesn't bother me as much I guess. I found it kind of silly in PoE to go: oh you guys are pretty strong, but here's a few potions to make you completely invulnerable.

To limit the things they needed to create they limited use of items through slots and not through inventory. I think it was a solid choice. Is it kind of a hassle when you want to use multiple items, yes. Is it something I can live with? Yes. I hardly ever use consumables however so it doesn't bother me as much I guess. I found it kind of silly in PoE to go: oh you guys are pretty strong, but here's a few potions to make you completely invulnerable.

What potions? Also, didn't you just give the definition of half-assing something? lol

Edited by DiabloStorm

DiabloStorm: Maybe you should just do something else, if the game really annoys you that much.

Nah, just the bugs and regression when it comes to development choices of something that's supposed to be a successor to the last game

In my book, Deadfire is so clearly superior to PoE there isn't even any comparison. I mean, really, they're worlds apart.

What potions? Also, didn't you just give the definition of half-assing something? lol

Half assing what?

Consumables are kinda stupid and i never use em. Never liked the idea of class skills being sold and distributed in a bottle like corporate america coca cola in mirror image and stoneskin flavors. Let each class have some its uniqueness.

I do like food tho and wish they do more with resting camping.

Consumables are kinda stupid and i never use em. Never liked the idea of class skills being sold and distributed in a bottle like corporate america coca cola in mirror image and stoneskin flavors. Let each class have some its uniqueness.

One thing that I thought was very strange was the uselessness of potions in PoE. I just finished the game yesterday, to get a continuous run of the two games. And I didn't use potions. I had a heck of a lot of them in my inventory, but there was almost never any use for them. This is very strange, in the whole of RPG tradition. I also almost never used scrolls, but there were a few situations where Scroll of Paralysis came in handy. All the others, no. Oh, I think I did use Twin Stones once.

I will be one of the first to contradict pointless and overemotional whining about something in a game. But in this case it's def. not pointless: why did they remove the feature? 

Possibly because in PoE using consumables during combat was so unbelievably finnicky and buggy that they had to overhaul the whole thing - and during that overhaul maybe they realized that allowing the use from inventory directly (via drag & drop) was causing issues? No idea. But possible. Else I don't know why they want to take away qol features that don't affect game balance at all.

Whatever - what I also wanted to say: if somebody complains about a mechanic (no matter in which form) and you go like "Well that's no a problem - because I don't use it" - that really isn't the best way to address the complaint let alone the problem itself. :)

That's ab bit like "Hey why did Mercedes Benz remove the rear mirrors from all their new cars?" and you like "Dolt what are you complaining about? I ride a bike!" :p

One might want to know that DiableStorm only plays PotD solo and thus is way more likely to use consumables (and more likely to discover certain bugs or changes) than somebody who uses a full party. I personally never use any consumables with a party (except when playing a Nalpasca). Game would be way too easy. But it's a different story when soloing the game. 

ROFL at thelee for not noticing PoE drap & drop feature and others for not knowing how to copy weapon into sets. :) Benevolent ROFL mind you! :lol:

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Wouldnt it be more like benz took out all rear view mirrors and people said who cares cause they dont use the mirrors?

It might even be better to say benz took out the fifth wheel from all new models and no one but a select few cared.

Else I don't know why they want to take away qol features that don't affect game balance at all.

could you do this drag and drop in combat? because that would affect game balance. if you could use any arbitrary consumable from your inventory, that is much more powerful than only being allowed to use 4-6 consumables. quickslots are a constraint. In BG/BG2, quickslots were a convenience (moreso in traditional BG where opening the inventory didn't pause the game), since the only reason you would need to put an item in a quickslot was if it was not a self-buff (e.g. targeted or a summoning item).

Else I don't know why they want to take away qol features that don't affect game balance at all.

could you do this drag and drop in combat? because that would affect game balance. if you could use any arbitrary consumable from your inventory, that is much more powerful than only being allowed to use 4-6 consumables. quickslots are a constraint. In BG/BG2, quickslots were a convenience (moreso in traditional BG where opening the inventory didn't pause the game), since the only reason you would need to put an item in a quickslot was if it was not a self-buff (e.g. targeted or a summoning item).

Yea but BG didn't have items that lasted for that long. It also didn't have scripted interactions that could be affected by potions or drugs. I think PoE has far too many consumables and most of them stack now in PoEII, makes my character end game with 30 in every stat kinda lame.

You can only have one drug at a time so I dont see how this would be changing anything but making life easier for us. It's not like we are asking them to overhaul the drug mechanics. For other consumables, which ones could you exactly exploit? Seems like an arbitrary limitation.

The consumable thing is interesting in the sense that there's a whole lot of combinations of foods you can cook, potions you can brew and scrolls that you can scribe -- but you absolutely don't need any of it. This is very, very different from the importance that potions, for instance, generally have in RPGs. (Not complaining, just pointing out the way it looks to me.)

Edited by xzar_monty