Some particular Deadfire feedback

Hello there!

After sinking a couple hundred hours into and enjoying the hell out of Deadfire, I feel like I should share a few of my impressions.

For me Deadfire is a huge step-up to an already amazing first installment. I still like the Dyrwood's setting and story-line more, but the combat in Deadfire is just so goddamn engaging and fun. Multiclassing is a also dream come true. And the companions are overall a bit more rounded I think.

However, instead of focusing on praise (which i could do all day), I instead want to offer a bit of criticism about two systems that - in my opinion - do not work well:

1: XP-Sharing

Meaning, party members outside your group get less xp. I do not see it adding anything to immersion, while being a rather large restriction for the majority of the game (right up until your last character hits the cap). I discourages trying different setups and swapping companions. I would love to see this feature simply removed.

2: Economy (& Buying/Enchanting)

First off, I like the idea of enchanting items - even adding different tiers. In practice it barely works however, because:

• At the start of the game you have no money and no way to generate significant amounts
  • After some point you have so much money that is becomes rather meaningless

I believe one of the main reasons for ths is the steep increase in value of items (normal buckler: 7c, fine: 207). I suggest dialing this down a bit (a lot actually), maybe adjusting it to fit the increasing expenses for enchanting (though I would love to see them toned down as well).

Also, I suggest reintroducing level requirements for entchantments, like in the original PoE. Let me give you and example: You just hit level 7 and are finally able to advance to the next tier of enchanting. You have some cash saved (which you can now do, since fine equipment is not worth 30x the normal one) and can enchant some of your stuff immediately, but you have to prioritize still.

Is your party now strong enough to push into higher level territory, maybe find more/superior unique items? Or should you better explore a bit more and do some bounties to get more upgrades first?

Well, thats what I would love to see anyway. If you have any thoughts on this, please share them. Thank you for reading!

• Like 3

1. Do agree on XP-Sharing. I do mostly find it as: "do not switch your party members" thing. And while I always plan my party composition for subsequent runs apriori, it's a slight nuisance in the first play-through (that is usually solved by AddExperienceToLevel X, right before main character is about to hit next level).

Although, maybe it is somehow related to RP aspect? Like companion Z can't be as experienced as Y because he didn't fought that much?

2. I actually like being able to enchant weapons without being gated by character level. If I want to dump all my current money at level 7 into a superb weapon instead of a ship,.. well why shouldn't I be able to do it?) Although enchanting armor is closer to gray territory because of how important AR is.

• Like 3

What would people think about being able to reset your weapon enchantments?  I mean, I would kind of like that a little.  Also - I got really confused with upgrading to Superb as there is two options but only one has the line that goes to Legendary.  For months I thought you needed (2) Kraken eyes to be able to upgrade to Superb then to Legendary.  I didn't realize that you could use the other Superb route with Pyrite (or Adra Ban for armor) and still upgrade to Legendary, I thought if you went that Superb route you were locked out of Legendary.  For the longest time I wasn't upgrading my weapons ... would be nice to have a proper tree diagram.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
  • Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Yes but it would allow for more flexibility when you respec'd your character.  Also, you definitely lose out on the money invested and the ingredients.  Could affect balance in regards to ingredients, may need to make them a little more rare potentially.  I am fine with the way it is now, but just throwing the idea out there.

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I think the current upgrade system is one of Deadfire's best features. I'd prefer it stay as it is with some marginal improvements. The Thicket Green is a great example, where it can upgraded for different builds.

Edited by Verde