I'd want to prep a character for a solo PotD game. I'm set on her being a Brawler, a duelist for hire. I'd be grateful if you could point out any glaring mistakes or improvements to be made with this build:

Human Devoted (rapier ?) / Monk (no subclass)

Maxed DEX and PER

Talents:

Level 1: Disciplined Barrage & Swift Strikes

Level 2: Fast Runner

Level 3: Lesser Wounds

Level 4: Fighter Stances & One-Handed Style

Level 5: Long Stride

Level 6: Two Weapon Style (?)

Level 7: Tactical Barrage & Swift Flurry

Level 8: Rapid Recovery

Level 9: Penetrating Strike (?)

Level 10: Weapon Specialization & Duality of Mortal Presence

Level 11: Thunderous Blows

Level 12: Stunning Blow

Level 13: Conqueror Stance & Stunning Surge

Level 14: Enervating Blows

Level 15: Armored Grace

Level 16: Improved Critical & Iron Wheel

Level 17: Superior Deflection (?)

Level 18: Uncanny Luck (?)

Level 19: Weapon Mastery & Heartbeat Drumming

Level 20: Unbreakable (?)

Items:

Weapon: Rannig's Wrath

Head: ? (I'd want Fair Favor, but it's impossible to get in solo)

Cape: Magnificent Escape Cape

Amulet: Strand of Favor (?)

Torso: Devil of Caroc Breastplate

Hands: Left Hand of the Obscured (?)

Ring: Ring of Prosperity's Fortune

Ring: Ring of the Solidary Wanderer (?)

Boots: Pathfinder Boots (?)

Belt: Upright Captain's Belt

With Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming you want Disciplined Strikes, not Tactical Barrage.

You might want Clarity of Agony.

Rännig's Wrath: great pick. But what's in your offhand? Single handed style? I'd maybe use Tuotilo's Palm. It works with Transcendent Suffering and also well with your backup fist setup for pierce-immune foes while it removes the long recovery of the Rapier+modal on Full Attacks.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Swap Long Stride for Weapon and Shield Style, it would be good to fit somehow  Dichotomus Soul (instead Unbreakable maybe?). And you still be missig few goodies like Blade Turning and Clarity of Agony, maybe throw out Uncanny Luck and take Disciplined Strikes instead of Tactical Barrage. Mob Stance for Conquerer?

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Uncanny Luck is not very good, I agree. Even if you're looking for high crit conversion it's crap.

Where's Unbending? A must-have in my opinion.

Edited by Boeroer

For head take Laughingstock Cap. Uncanny Luck is bad but not completely crap, resistance from it stacks with everything (spell resistance, resistance for range attacks from Aegor Swift Touch). Unbending instead of Improved Critical? Is Weapon Mastery really worth it?

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Resistance stacks like conversions: multiplicatively - one gets checked after the other. THe more you stack the less impact additonal resistances/conversions have. It is crap - at least for a whole ability point. You can buy better stuff with that.

Blackblade's Hood may be an aternative to Fair Favor.

Edited by Boeroer

With Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming you want Disciplined Strikes, not Tactical Barrage.

I was thinking that with the sky-high accuracy and other hit-to-crit conversions  I don't need Disciplined Strikes. If I understand correctly, Tactical Barrage gives me plus 1 virtual level that would be useful when spamming Stunning Surge, no?

You might want Clarity of Agony.

But it's recovery is so long. I might be better off waiting for the effects to expire on their own.

Rännig's Wrath: great pick. But what's in your offhand? Single handed style? I'd maybe use Tuotilo's Palm. It works with Transcendent Suffering and also well with your backup fist setup for pierce-immune foes while it removes the long recovery of the Rapier+modal on Full Attacks.

Definitely single-handed style, for no other reason than it looks elegant. I was also considering using Last Word. Is it good? What other single handed weapons are recommended?

Mob Stance for Conquerer?

It would probably be better, but I'm sticking to the duelist theme,

Where's Unbending? A must-have in my opinion.

Hmmm... Good point. Do I want the Shield or the Trunk variant? But then again, I already have the Cape of Escape. Can I reasonably expect to be able to hit-and-run? As in, focus on one guy at a time and escape from combat?

Edited by Magnificate

More hit-to-crit is better for Stunning Surge than +1PL. And You gonna change opinion about Clarity Of Agony after first hit of Disintegration.

edit. don't know how to quote single part of post...

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Tactical Barrage gives you +1 Power Level which will give you some small bonuses with most of your abilities (+5% dmg or duration and so on). But in case of Stunning Surge and esp. Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming Disciplined Strikes is strictly better.

Escape 1/encounter when bloodied is not comparable to Unbending.

If you don't know where to get the ability point: Rapid Recovery is worse than Unbending...

Single Weapon style is better in the early game but worse later on. You also can't use it with fists. And you will have to use fists as solo Devoted.

Clarity is def. important. Recovery is lower with DEX and Swift Flurry.

Generally solo PotD is a lot harder if you try to focus on offense too much.

Tactical Barrage gives you +1 Power Level which will give you some small bonuses with most of your abilities (+5% dmg or duration and so on). But in case of Stunning Surge and esp. Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming Disciplined Strikes is strictly better.

If I understand you right, you don't think high accuracy will ever be enough to reliably crit?

Single Weapon style is better in the early game but worse later on. You also can't use it with fists. And you will have to use fists as solo Devoted.

I really want to keep it Single Hand though. How significant is that difference?

Clarity is def. important. Recovery is lower with DEX and Swift Flurry.

In that case, perhaps I should invest in those potions that give -10s hostile effect instead of Clarity?

On that note, I assume the correct active skills to choose are Arcana and Athletics? Which scrolls are must-haves and how high does my Arcana need to be?

Is it possible to boost your armor high enough for the enemies to underpenetrate? If so, how is it usually done?

If I understand you right, you don't think high accuracy will ever be enough to reliably crit?

On PotD against high level enemies you will never have anough ACC to crit reliably. Else you also wouldn't need One Handed Style or Uncanny Luck.

One Handed Style (20%) + Disciplined Barrage (25%) results in an overall conversion chance of 40% which is pretty nice. With high ACC you can prevent most grazes but hits will still be very common (the "dice" range is 1-100). With a build that relies on crits so much a high-numbered conversion like from Disciplined Barrage is great. And in this case it's more useful than Tactical Barrage (which I also find useful, but not so much in this case).

I really want to keep it Single Hand though. How significant is that difference?

It's manageable I think.

In that case, perhaps I should invest in those potions that give -10s hostile effect instead of Clarity?

You can try. I personally like the combo of Clarity + Crucible but you don't have the second neither nor are you goping for high defenses so I guess you can substitute Clarity with potions. 

On that note, I assume the correct active skills to choose are Arcana and Athletics? Which scrolls are must-haves and how high does my Arcana need to be?

It's not that easy. You also need a bit of mechanics. Scrolls you want include the defensive and healing stuff. Offensive scrolls scale their ACC with the skill and not your own ACC and thus are only really effective once Arcana is maxed - which you don'Ät want to do most of the time because you also need Mechanics and maybe a bit of Athletics as savety button. YOu can retrain a lot of course...

Is it possible to boost your armor high enough for the enemies to underpenetrate? If so, how is it usually done?

The more you stack the better. It's very difficult to stack is so high that every enemy will underpenetrate though. You can make it so that at least most mobs will underpenetrate a lot.

Other classes are better suited for this (Unbroken, Paladin, Wizard, Stalker etc.) than Devoted/Monk. One key item may be the Patinated Plate with Bronze Juggernaut (makes you real slow but results in a lot less melee dmg). It's the armor withthe highest AR against melee. Then you have Iron Wheel (max 2.5 AR at 10 wounds). Since Iron Wheel is active it wouldn't stack with several other AR buffs from consumables. Only passives will stack. And Devoted-Brawler doesn't have AR passives. Damage reduction abilities from items like Cadhu Scalth are basically the same as underpenetration and stack with dmagae reduction from underpenetration. You won't use a shield of course, just as example.

don't know how to quote single part of post...

The best way is to go into BBCode mode (button top left of the toolbar) and just type/copy&paste the tags where you want them.

[quote]
<stuff you want to quote>
[/quote]

Lots of useful advice!

I've been convinced to take Unbending and Disciplined Strikes. And I think I've been misreading Unbending up to this point. It's not a 25% damage buffer, it's in fact a 50% damage buffer, isn't it? Trunk or Shield?

I've also been looking at Penetrating Strike again. Perhaps I want to change it to Mule Kick? Discracted means Flanked, so that means I can stack the flanking damage bonus from my rapier. Then again, given that I'm now running Unbending, perhaps getting figther's offensive abilities is pointless as Discipline is non-renewable?

How about Pets? I was thinking Pes or perhaps Blinky or Gift-Wrapper?

Edited by Magnificate

I would go with something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/m1qChs5

That's lv19, what do You think guys?

Pets: Abraham, Pes, Trixie, Eevie or other depends on situation.

max Intimidation and switching for Casita Samelia Legacy when needed.

Edit. That brawler would be way better with Dual Wielding and sabre, up to +20 ACC with Scordeo Edge and paralyzed (another hit to crit conversion) from Grave Calling. And another roll for Stunning Surge to crit.

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

I'd want to prep a character for a solo PotD game. I'm set on her being a Brawler, a duelist for hire. I'd be grateful if you could point out any glaring mistakes or improvements to be made with this build:

Maxed DEX and PER

Talents:

Items:

I'm going to be honest with you on here but I don't see this build working against the Megabosses. Maybe the base game but Megabosses, unlikely. Especially Dorudugan. 

Maxed DEX and PER

Talents:

Items:

I'm going to be honest with you on here but I don't see this build working against the Megabosses. Maybe the base game but Megabosses, unlikely. Especially Dorudugan. 

I don't think you can do the ooze either without WotW and stunning it constantly to prevent it from merging back together.

@ up do you really need to beat any of the (mega)bosses to enjoy and finish the game?

yeah, that's the question I want to ask OP. When he said solo the game does he mean just the base game or base game + megabosses? Because for me soloing the game means doing everything including megabosses

@ up do you really need to beat any of the (mega)bosses to enjoy and finish the game?

yeah, that's the question I want to ask OP. When he said solo the game does he mean just the base game or base game + megabosses? Because for me soloing the game means doing everything including megabosses

I'm fine with not doing every sidequest.

I'm still curious about Mule Kick vs Penetrating Strike. Which is better for one-handed characters?

Mule Kick I'd say. Or only Knockdown without Mule Kick. 

Reasons:

• Interrupt on graze
  • +10 ACC
  • targets a different defense (Fortitude) so you'll have an easier time against anybody who has Fortitude+10 < Deflection
  • synergizes with Enervating Blows (-10 Fortitude) and Stunning Surge (-10 Fortitude) --> makes it supereasy to crit with a Knockdown/Mule Kick which will have the equivalent of +30 ACC then.
  • Knockdown: higher Power Level Scaling with Knockdown compared to Penetrating Strike (most notably +10% multiplicative dmg vs. +20% additive)
  • Mule Kick: 5% additive dmg advantage over Penetrating Strike (no PL scaling advantage), longer hard CC (1.5 sec), soft CC (Disoriented)

You already can achieve very high PEN with Thunderous Blows + Devoted and thus maybe don't need Penetrating Strike that often. The advatange of Full Attacks don't apply in this case (on handed). All speaks for Knockdown/Mule Kick. Since you are solo and won't have supercrazy recovery speed (e.g. like a DW Streetfighter) the Knockup-part which renders the target untargetable doesn't gimp you either.

BUT! I didn't test the interactions between Mule Kick's Knockup (= untargetable for a short time while flying) and Swift Flurry/Hearbeat Drumming. Maybe you will not get additional attacks triggering because Knockup prevents that. You would have to test this (or wait for somebody to confirm or falsify). IF additional crits get prevented you should just pick Knockdonw and skip Mule Kick. The interrupt and defense targeting is the most important part and Knockdown already has this (and the better PL scaling). 

Edited by Boeroer

I enjoy the game in the beginning, but after a while i realize, that the build is not supposed to beat the megabosses and i lose the interest. There is probably only a handfull of solo builds, who can do that. I think SC Monk is the best one or at least, the one that needs the least amount of time to do it.

I find Megabosses rather uninteresting - since they are not embedded into the story- or questlines at all. Just some random fights against supertough enemies without much context.

Edited by Boeroer