What was the party composition you enjoyed the most so far ?

Just wondering what was the class combinations (SC or MC) you had the most enjoyed through the game ? Not necessary the strongest or broken ones, just the ones you were the most excited to play.

For me it was probably the MC : "ancient druid / blood mage" using only DOT and Decay spells. Skaen priest/assassin focusing on backstab was very fun too. 

• Like 1

Trickster MC, Swash Eder, Goldpact Knight custom, Tekehu Druid Storm build, and Priest of Magran custom. Wizards are lame ;)

Playing an Ancient now and it's fun but the lack of trap detection is pissing me off haha.

Edited by Verde

Not sure if OP is talking about team comp or single char, so I'll answer both.

Single Char:
Always get a kick out of Trickster/Skald or Cipher - the simple combo that is Ryngrim's Enervating Terror + engagement so you can get resource generation on disengagement is one of my favorite set-ups. It's just so satisfying. Distant second is the Ghost Heart/Cipher, focused on the leash powers like Ectopsychic Echo. Summoning a bear behind enemy lines, then just wrecking stuff with leashes is fun.

Team Comp:

Honest Answer: Any set up of Eder, Tekehu, Rekke, Vatnir, Maia, and/or Fassina, just because I like them. Vatnir, Maia, and Tekehu are also probably stronger than most hirelings, so that's helpful though not the actual reason I bring them along.

Game Mechanics Answer: Trio team of Harbinger (Trickster/Skald), Ascetic (Fury/Helwaker), and Priest of Rymrgand (modded in for a hireling) on TB. All three were capable of significant amounts of DPR, and the Harbinger or Ascetic could lay down hard control on huge groups of NPCs. I started with a full team and just found the extra characters were a waste of time. I like companions too much to do just hirelings again, but it was pretty fun to just rapidly nuke every encounter with a small efficient team.

Edited by Taudis

Always get a kick out of Trickster/Skald or Cipher - the simple combo that is Ryngrim's Enervating Terror + engagement so you can get resource generation on disengagement is one of my favorite set-ups. It's just so satisfying.

Hm... don't know how you pull that off since the Terrified affliction removes your engagement from enemies. What you describe worked reliably in the open beta but was soon patched out because Unbroken/Wizard or /Trickster destroyed engaged enemies with that combo. Did this change recently? What does work is focus generation if you disengage and then trigger Riposte. But this doesn't work once enemies are terrified as well.

My favorite party comp. I don't know. I don't have a favorite one I guess. Most fun I had with Mortar Monk so far I think.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

All the chicks and me just camping out eating poaki nuts and rum, sailing around the world in a yatch, visiting new places, petting dogs and listening to all their damn problems, none of them can cook and always complaining about the weather you know what i choose eder.

• Like 1

In TB, terrified doesn’t always break engagement, or at least something else happens to re-engage before the enemies flee. I’ve seen disengagement attacks from it several times.

This is it. I've been on a big TB kick since it was released and have done a few builds around it. It doesn't break engagement at all in TB*. Hope it's intentional and not a bug because it's tons of fun.

Kind of hope it works like that now in RTwP, because I just started a Trickster/Soulblade there. I'm hoping to make use of the trick. The main point of that build is a WotEP riposte set-up though, so not the end of the world if it doesn't work out since I mostly just want to AoE riposte.

*It's been a moment since I've been using one of those builds so this isn't a definitive statement. I'll pull up an old save and test what's actually going on, then report back. If I'm remembering right, there is just straight up no engagement break, rather than a quick re-engage (although a quick reengage would also be great with a rogue! Double Persistent Distraction to remove an inspiration, then apply the debuff).

Edited by Taudis

I've had to make some house rules to have fun again. Some builds are just so OP, it takes away the fun because fights last all of 5 seconds. Yet, I can't bring myself to intentionally gimp any character I make. So far my favoriie custom party was based on these rules:

1. No damage from spells unless it's part of a weapon attack (e.g. FoD or Soul Annihilation)

2. No debuffs or CC unless its part of a weapon attack (e.g. Stunning Surge)

3. No AoE unless its part of a melee weapon attack (e.g. Clean Sweep or Lord Darryn's Voulge)

4. No mortars or other AoE ranged weapons

5. No summons

6. No tanks

7. No dedicated healers

8. No single class monks (good gawd)

9. No duplicating the same class in the party

The theme of this party is the "Four Godlikes of the Apocolypse" concept by sin tee, but with totally different class compositions. There are only 4 party members, each of them a Godlike. I find the flavor very fun with Godlikes using the portraits in that video. Even with all of the self-imposed restrictions, this party is very strong from start to finish.

1. Moon Godlike Votary (Helwalker/Kind Wayfayer) dual wielding fists. Inspired by this build with modifications.

2. Fire Godlike Brute (Berserker/Devoted) wielding Lord Darryn's Voulge. Inspired by discussion here.

3. Death Godlike Mindstalker (Soul Blade/Trickster). Inspired by discussion here.

4. Nature Godlike Wildrhymer (Troubador/Ghost Heart) wielding The Red Hand. Inspired by this build but heavily modified so as to not duplicate the monk class in my party.

• Like 3

In TB, terrified doesn’t always break engagement, or at least something else happens to re-engage before the enemies flee. I’ve seen disengagement attacks from it several times.

Ah ok - Turn Based might be a different story. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The theme of this party is the "Four Godlikes of the Apocolypse" concept by sin tee, but with totally different class compositions. There are only 4 party members, each of them a Godlike. I find the flavor very fun with Godlikes using the portraits in that video. Even with all of the self-imposed restrictions, this party is very strong from start to finish.

1. Moon Godlike Votary (Helwalker/Kind Wayfayer) dual wielding fists. Inspired by this build with modifications.

2. Fire Godlike Brute (Berserker/Devoted) wielding Lord Darryn's Voulge. Inspired by discussion here.

3. Death Godlike Mindstalker (Soul Blade/Trickster). Inspired by discussion here.

4. Nature Godlike Wildrhymer (Troubador/Ghost Heart) wielding The Red Hand. Inspired by this build but heavily modified so as to not duplicate the monk class in my party.

That's not a bad idea at all <3, will do this for my next run ! will just change the class too :

- Moon Godlike : Hellwalker/Blood mage with Fist + invocation weapon

- Death Godlike : Bleakwalker/Soulblade with WoTEp

- Firegodlike : Berseker/Magran Priest with magran's favor and the fire/ice flail

- Nature Godlike : Ancient druid / troubadour

Edited by Exanos
  • Like 1

Ancient Druid should be single...so you can Wild Growth your Galawain beast ;)

Try Chanter + Ancient and cast Wild Growth on a summoned Dragon. :)

Name the Chanter Rita Repulsa, too.

I still have extremely fond memories of my Bleak Walker/Evoker. Only had fun for like a month before it was nerfed, but boi, it was great.

My second most fav char was Beckoner/Evoker, back when Chanters could regen resources.

And the only thing I liked that wasn't nerfed to the ground is the Bleak Walker/Lifegiver toon, but he was mostly a cool idea for a "death knight" rather than a truly facemelting build.

Ancient Druid should be single...so you can Wild Growth your Galawain beast ;)

Try Chanter + Ancient and cast Wild Growth on a summoned Dragon. :)

Ha we need to get some pics in here of some giant mutant beasts.

Edited by Verde

Always use custom parties... my favs

1) Anything Cipher...  cipher (single class), cipher/fighter, cipher/pali, etc.  This class really grew on me over my hours in POE2.  It starts fairly strong and turns into a beast, with multiple ways to spec and play.  I tend to favor SB with shred-hybrid casting capabilities, plus buffing/debuffing for survivability.  Lots of fun and would be a monster if there was ever PvP.

2) Anything Wiz... wiz (single), wiz/rogue, wiz/monk, wiz/pali, and wiz/fighter.   Nothing beats the versatility of a Wiz, due to: 1) multi-grimoires, 2) fast, useful buffs, 3) DPS at your fingertips, 4) ability to endure long fights, especially melee hybrids in boss/mega-boss battles.   Just wow...  not as fun as Cipher (for me), but great versatility, survivability, and DPS. Lots of ways to spec, but I still enjoy Wiz/Fighter with Citzals, plus buffing.  I also marvel at the deadliness of a buffed Rogue in combat, as well as the stability of a Wiz/Pali.  Let's not forget the AOE-speedster-monster a Wiz/Monk becomes.  If this game had PvP, it would be hard to ignore this class.  Yeah, I always have Wizards in every party... just can't avoid their power-to-party-slot-ratio.

3) Rogue, Monk, Fighter, and Pali...  The melee quadruplets always find a home in my party.  Want a class to hit harder, pair it with Rogue.  Need speed and increased intelligence for a caster, Monk is your friend.   Care for better survivability and still have some punch, pair anything with Pali or Fighter.  To be clear, I rarely play these as single-classes.  I think their best stuff (barring Monk), happens below PL7 and provides a huge lift to any class. 

4) The Druid... Very quietly worked into my  Top 5 (treating the melee quadruplets as one).  This class has great flexibility... Need a healer?  This class could be viewed as the top healer in the game (without mods).  Need DPS... a solo Druid is one of the best DPS casters in the game, thanks to Maelstrom, Plague of insects, Returning storm, etc.  Oh yeah, I can also spec one of the hardest hitting melee combos in the game (Shifter/Rogue or Shifter/Monk).  Fun, dynamic, versatile... yeah, the Druid might deserve my #3 slot.  

5) Chanters...  This class baffles me, since it is highly reliable with renewable resources, but much of the game it is too slow to impact regular battles past level 8ish.  Once a Wiz or Druid has decent nukes (that can be cast in under 2 secs), the Chanter is still humming away.  To be fair, a Chanter provides reliable buffs to the party, decent healing, and flexibility (summons, dps, etc.).   Chanters do shine in long battles (megabosses), but they aren't as much fun for me, possibly because everything happens so fast at upper levels (for 99% of battles).

6) Priests... without mods, every other class does the Priest's job better (kind of sad).  Buffs take too long and DPS is inconsistent, unless solo and focusing on higher-level spells.  I do agree, some solo priests are solid and have some great higher-tier debuffs, but not better than other classes (for me).  Oddly enough, Priest was a top-3 favorite for me in POE1.

7) Ranger and Zerker...  I'm not much into ranged attacks (besides spells), so I have a natural bias against Rangers.  As the devs tried to compensate for Rangers starting on the wrong foot (release), they became a jumbled patchwork of skills.  A ranger can certainly be powerful, but outside of the summon (which I also avoid), I feel like a ranger struggles for an identity, lost between a rogue and/or fighter.  As for the Zerker, I know they can be a strong single-class and add some speed to a caster, but here are my concerns...  I don't like the whole "I YELL REALLY LOUD" skill sets of the Zerker...  really should be a chanter skill, but not a big deal.  I feel like one of the Devs spent too much time playing Diablo for inspiration instead of reading Conan comics/books.  When pairing a caster I pick the Monk every time over the Zerker, since they do everything better (opinion) from greater buffs, speed, survivability, etc.  Yeah, I don't believe I've played either one of these classes start-to-finish on any run, since I just like every other class better.  

Latest play-through:

Cipher

Wiz/Fighter

Wiz/Pali

Druid/Monk

Rogue/Monk 

Edited by heldred
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2019 at 11:15 AM, zendingo said:

I've had to make some house rules to have fun again. Some builds are just so OP, it takes away the fun because fights last all of 5 seconds. Yet, I can't bring myself to intentionally gimp any character I make. So far my favoriie custom party was based on these rules:

1. No damage from spells unless it's part of a weapon attack (e.g. FoD or Soul Annihilation)

3. No AoE unless its part of a melee weapon attack (e.g. Clean Sweep or Lord Darryn's Voulge)

5. No summons

6. No tanks

7. No dedicated healers

I want to see your over-powered party more though! ;)

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, zendingo said:

5. No summons

6. No tanks

7. No dedicated healers

Do you think that the original builds from sin ter are stille viable???

I would like to try them. And are there some guides on these classes?

I'll summarize:

* Nature godlike druid/monk. Fury/Helwalker.   Buildguide: fate testarossa??

* Death godlike Paladin/Cypher Bleakwalker/Soulblade. 

* Fire godlike Barbarisme/Chanter Bezerker/Skald. 

* Moon godlike Fighter/Paladin Devoted/Bleakwalker 

and which two compagnons would be good to add to this party?

Thanks!!

Edited by DeeKayNL

Im sorry but you can disregard my question, I already invested some time in a game with these characters and must say i dont like it with a almost full custom party, I really mis the interuptions and quests you get from you compagnions. I will make a new topic for some advice for a full party and PC build

• 4 weeks later...

I only have a few hundred hours of play, a lot of it with full parties, and I had the most fun with a party of four wizards plus Eder.

Eder as swashbuckler

Watcher as Archmage Eternal build from St*am forum

Aloth as Arcane Master build from St*am forum

Nature godlike Evoker wizard/priest of Eothas with Xoti’s weapons

Mountain dwarf Blood mage using arcane weapons with Llengrath’s martial grimoire, and later respec to have all the weapons and martial spells with Concelhaut’s grimoire — nothing is more satisfying to me than hitting the toughest in any gang with Crushing doom, and having Concelhaut pet doing it too. A martial casting blood mage doesn’t need to refresh spells very often, so can have a higher MIG not damaging self as much, and still gets the constant recovery, plus self healing from parasitic staff, corrosive siphon, and parasitic touch. Also fun to play with the necklace of endless possibilities, getting a different top tier weapon at each combat start.  At the higher levels, the arcane weapons scale to awesome damage. I also tried a martial casting blood mage solo, but it didn’t work out.

My current (second) playthrough:

Marauder/Streetfighter MC for DPS that doubles as a tank

Pallegina Herald as tank and support

Aloth pure Wizard for CC

Xoti pure Priest for support

Maia Scout for DPS and picking off annoying distant enemies

In my original playthrough I had both Eder and Pallegina as tanks and no Maia. My current party is so much more effective, since I discovered that I can use the Marauder's high HP to tank even with low deflection, also synergizes amazingly with streetfighter.

I remember in my original playthrough Eder standing still doing nothing as my MC had to go around the battle killing all enemies. Now he has Maia to do that much faster and no idle companions.

Edited by danielbda