Weirder, More random, More Interesting.

Amentep

12 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I think a bachelor's degree should be mandatory for one to become a policeman. I guess you have very different practises depending on which state/city we're talking about. There's probably a more pressing need for police in Baltimore than in Portland.

Then again, you could also say there's more pressing need for educated police in Baltimore.

Not quite sure education can handle power tripping or corruption, looking at my well educated managers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, kirottu said:

our response to the video: copernicus just called and he wants you to know the sun is at the center o' the solar system... douche.

"the line" is not marking relative distances between planets, but at least since copernicus smacked the scientific world upside the head with his heliocentric view, is a representation o' distances from-wait for it- the sun. yes, the sun, the fixed point (relative) at the center o' the freaking solar system and the obvious singular point o' o' reference if one were to make a line o' distances o' the planetary bodies which is otherwise in a constant, elliptical and heliocentric freaking orbit. distance from what? the SUN.

*grumble*

yeah, maybe you can make an argument 'bout ellipses and "the line" IF we were keeping pluto as a planet, 'cause for a period o' time during the solar year o' pluto, it is actual closer to the sun than is neptune.

no offense, but am adding the video to our collection o' 4$$hat science.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Poor Pluto...

1P8OBEh.jpg

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

dirty priest

mean it the best possible way. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For the first time ever, an American cheese has taken the top prize at the World Cheese Awards

"But not everyone is celebrating America's new dairy dominance; according to Sky News, France isn't taking the results well. One widely read newspaper in the country called it "sacrilege" that only one French cheese placed in the top 16. "

HA! Good Fun!

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

For the first time ever, an American cheese has taken the top prize at the World Cheese Awards

"But not everyone is celebrating America's new dairy dominance; according to Sky News, France isn't taking the results well. One widely read newspaper in the country called it "sacrilege" that only one French cheese placed in the top 16. "

HA! Good Fun!

" Rogue River Blue is made from organic milk, cave-aged nine to 11 months and hand-wrapped in Syrah grape leaves that have soaked in pear liqueur. It’s known to exhibit flavors of blackberry, vanilla, hazelnut and bacon – all of which would probably pair nicely. "

That sounds amazing.

Oregon has wonderful wines, so I'm not surprised that they also make great cheese over there. There's so much fantastic cheese being made all over the world now, the Frenchies shouldn't be surprised. Last year's winner is made in my neighbourhood, and is ridiculously tasty & expensive. I can imagine this cheese is (or will be) as well.

Edited by Maedhros

On 10/30/2019 at 6:10 PM, Gromnir said:

our response to the video: copernicus just called and he wants you to know the sun is at the center o' the solar system... douche.

"the line" is not marking relative distances between planets, but at least since copernicus smacked the scientific world upside the head with his heliocentric view, is a representation o' distances from-wait for it- the sun. yes, the sun, the fixed point (relative) at the center o' the freaking solar system and the obvious singular point o' o' reference if one were to make a line o' distances o' the planetary bodies which is otherwise in a constant, elliptical and heliocentric freaking orbit. distance from what? the SUN.

*grumble*

yeah, maybe you can make an argument 'bout ellipses and "the line" IF we were keeping pluto as a planet, 'cause for a period o' time during the solar year o' pluto, it is actual closer to the sun than is neptune.

no offense, but am adding the video to our collection o' 4$$hat science.

HA! Good Fun!

Fun fact: the Sun is not at the center of the Solar System. It moves around the barycenter of the system and, IIRC from college, sometimes this point is outside the Sun.

5979151b4528e621008b461f?width=700&forma

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

Huh. Do I  not exist?

EId1v6jXYAEQJoa?format=jpg&name=medium

you exist, but "the normal generation," is a lackluster label.

feel joy that your generation is current the nondescript and plainwraper  normalcy which forms the basis 'pon which all other generations is measured.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

There does seem to be this strange disconnect between the world we live in today and the baby boomer generation. My mother-in-law, who we support financially and allow to live with us, has this weird pride about terribly wasteful stuff. For example, on Sundays she wants to go to church with her friends and then go out for coffee afterwards. They all drive separate cars to the church, then drive separate cars to coffee. The crazy thing is she really doesn't have a car. She lost hers due to financial mistakes years ago, and she doesn't have the money to get another. We have a family car that we let her use regularly because she helps transport the kids. But every Sunday we are like "Hey, we are using the family car to do family stuff." We also have a very old truck with 300k miles on it, so she always asks to use that, but the thing is on the last leg. Every weekend I'm like, "Can you carpool?" and she acts like it is a huge problem. I don't get it. My friends and I carpool everywhere we can if we are going to the same place. What the heck?

To make it even more ridiculous, both the church and the coffee shop are within a mile of our house. Flat with nice sidewalks. But baby boomers are not the healthiest generation, so that's too much to expect. :blink:

Tangentially related to an earlier post:  8 in 10 Millennials feel they are "not good enough"

Do you know what is annoying about them? They are going through the exact same things as everyone who ever lived before them and in their minds it's the first time it's ever happened to anyone! 

Now get off my lawn!  :lol::lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Exactly why I'll have none of that s--t!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell