Weirder, More random, More Interesting.

Amentep

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 10/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, Gfted1 said:

New Chinese military aircraft looks like flying saucer.

Interesting design. I can speculate they're trying to build a helicopter that fixes the lift dissymmetry during forward flight. I guess they would have asymmetrical thrust through the side openings to correct for torque. It wouldn't surprise me if others had tried this before.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The world’s top economists just made the case for why we still need English majors

"There’s no denying that the typical computer science major makes more money shortly after graduation than the typical English major.

"Contrary to popular belief, English majors ages 25 to 29 had a lower unemployment rate in 2017 than math and computer science majors.

"That early STEM pay premium also fades quickly, according to research by David J. Deming and Kadeem L. Noray from Harvard. After about a decade, STEM majors start exiting their job fields as their skills are no longer the latest and greatest. In contrast, many humanities majors work their way to high-earning management positions. By middle age, average pay looks very similar across many majors. “By age 40, the earnings of people who majored in fields like social science or history have caught up,” wrote David Deming in a recent New York Times op-ed."

huh. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

The world’s top economists just made the case for why we still need English majors

"There’s no denying that the typical computer science major makes more money shortly after graduation than the typical English major.

"Contrary to popular belief, English majors ages 25 to 29 had a lower unemployment rate in 2017 than math and computer science majors.

"That early STEM pay premium also fades quickly, according to research by David J. Deming and Kadeem L. Noray from Harvard. After about a decade, STEM majors start exiting their job fields as their skills are no longer the latest and greatest. In contrast, many humanities majors work their way to high-earning management positions. By middle age, average pay looks very similar across many majors. “By age 40, the earnings of people who majored in fields like social science or history have caught up,” wrote David Deming in a recent New York Times op-ed."

huh. 

HA! Good Fun!

K, but tech people get all those stock options and have all that early career expendable income to invest or start families. And even in places like San Fran those earnings are hardly enough as it all goes to rent. I agree English majors are important in so far as their contributions to society, but being able to automate away highly complex tasks that go billions times faster than a human is still going to set someone up better in general. Maybe the STEM market is becoming saturated but until those earners become bigger consumers, the English majors won't have nearly as big of a market to sell to. The English is shrinking for a reason.

Another thing, that article talks about economic narrative. Well keeping interest rates low can be good for things like student loans, keeping inflation low though is a way to ensure that earnings/income doesn't rise fast enough so people that people can't keep up with compounding interest. No federal bank is in the business of being the common person's friend, they are looking to smooth out economic shocks while retaining a capital raising model of generating credit by saddling people with debt that comes with it's own tax (interest.)

Also there are plenty of corporate ladders in stem fields to climb that come with pay raises, so even if your tech skills fade, you can orchestrate of new design teams as a leader or manager. Many in STEM also take up adjunct professor jobs, or other tangentially related roles that aren't just building out enterprise or business logic from spec. The innovators and lead engineers will also command higher salaries to match management increases for those who really commit to the tech path. (It's usually said one becomes a manager when they can no longer maintain their skills.)

Saying we need English majors in order to story-tell economic narratives, and their pay will come when they move on to being middle and upper management is a perfect example of a sinister peddled economic narrative.

Better to risk it all on a dream, or find a high economically rewarding job that you can use to fund your fantasy book series, musical ventures, mountain climbing hobby, etc. If you truly love English so much, you'd probably prefer becoming a professor or teacher than simply a copy-writer using English in it's most debased form. There are enough debt saddled journo students to cycle in and out of the spin-mills that an English major really doesn't want any part of.

10 hours ago, Raithe said:

67824351_10214310645309287_3623389467814

was in a conversation yesterday with a journalist, an intelligent and educated professional woman in her late thirties. she is an acquaintance and she wanted insights on 4th amendment before she spoke with cops and other lawyers. 

she started talking 'bout "cop mentality" as if it were an objective and universal rule. whether is 'cause people who seek to become cops is inherent flawed, or is the job which changes, "cop mentality" is resulting in an aberrational aggressiveness and detachment to violence. to her, cops tending towards a bit o' the old ultra violent were as unquestionable as sun rising in the east.

reasonable person behavior is different from reasonable cop behavior 'cause everybody knows how cops is, right?

were a disappointing conversation. we did our best to provide our journalist acquaintance with the info she wanted w/o challenging what we saw as flawed foundational assumptions. nothing we coulda' said woulda' changed what she knew from having seen stories on tv, internet and newspapers.

am always cautious 'round cops 'cause we know any one 'o 'em could be be racist or just plain old skool stupid-mean. any cop could be a bad cop, even if most are ordinary folks hoping to earn their paycheck and get home w/o needing to write up an incident report, or god forbid, get shot.

our journalist friend no doubt would think our pov is naive to the point o' being dangerous.

wth

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

was in a conversation yesterday with a journalist, an intelligent and educated professional woman in her late thirties. she is an acquaintance and she wanted insights on 4th amendment before she spoke with cops and other lawyers. 

she started talking 'bout "cop mentality" as if it were an objective and universal rule. whether is 'cause people who seek to become cops is inherent flawed, or is the job which changes, "cop mentality" is resulting in an aberrational aggressiveness and detachment to violence. to her, cops tending towards a bit o' the old ultra violent were as unquestionable as sun rising in the east.

reasonable person behavior is different from reasonable cop behavior 'cause everybody knows how cops is, right?

were a disappointing conversation. we did our best to provide our journalist acquaintance with the info she wanted w/o challenging what we saw as flawed foundational assumptions. nothing we coulda' said woulda' changed what she knew from having seen stories on tv, internet and newspapers.

am always cautious 'round cops 'cause we know any one 'o 'em could be be racist or just plain old skool stupid-mean. any cop could be a bad cop, even if most are ordinary folks hoping to earn their paycheck and get home w/o needing to write up an incident report, or god forbid, get shot.

our journalist friend no doubt would think our pov is naive to the point o' being dangerous.

wth

Jump to about 2:45

She does sort of have a point, though it's not necessarilly that they are psycopaths that went to the policeforce, but they do kind of get taught to be.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

A couple years ago I attended a community outreach program for our local police department. It was a few months of classes that went over a lot of the day to day activities of the officers, led by members of the department. It was fascinating to get a look behind the scenes, somewhat. I went in with a pretty positive impression of the police, in fact it was a career I've always been interested in. By the end, I still had a very good impression of the people on the job who were doing the class. They cared about the community and it was clear they work hard. But I definitely had concerns about the training. There was too much emphasis on the paramilitary aspects for my liking. It raised more issues than it assuaged, for sure.

But those are fixable issues. This stuff needs to be constantly evaluated and adapted. I was upset at the lack of clear data kept on shootings and risk. Why don't we have a federal count on officer involved shootings every year? Why aren't their better oversight agencies tracking all the different police branches? It should be a more data driven industry, and that was not the impression I got.

• Like 1

They should first ban cops from shaving their heads and wearing tacti-cool shades. 

25 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

They cared about the community and it was clear they work hard.

Definitely not Toronto cops.  Mother****ers all live outside the city and only care about getting paid.  Doing foot patrols is too scary for them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

They should first ban cops from shaving their heads and wearing tacti-cool shades. 

Definitely not Toronto cops.  Mother****ers all live outside the city and only care about getting paid.  Doing foot patrols is too scary for them.

I'd imagine that is the case with a lot of urban police forces. Plus I'd imagine in a large force, you have all the best cops moving into special departments, while the patrols are going to be mostly those who can't move up or are new. Just my guess based on all the cop shows I've seen. :p

Our local department cycles everyone through the different departments, but that's because it is small, and you only have a couple people working detective cases. 

Not to mention the differences between, city cops, county sheriffs, and highway patrol. :shrugz:

But this is probably Patriot all over again, so no worry. 😛

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Not to mention the differences between, city cops, county sheriffs, and highway patrol. :shrugz:

we try in vain to get this point across. is particularly difficult explaining to europeans and kanadians. 'ccording to the Constitution, police power in the US is reserved to individual States. why doesn't The Government do anything 'bout cop violence or training or whatever? 'cause the Fed Government literal cannot do anything. is only so much which can be done with interstate commerce clause and funding prerequisites. most states have limited oversight o' cops in part 'cause such would be monumental expensive and difficult to manage in any event. have a hard enough time paying to support existing cops much less afford meaningful oversight and standardization o' training and policy.

virtual every county in the US has a sheriff's departments and more than a few municipalities has their own police forces, each with their own rules.

three thousand sheriffs.

more than twelve thousand municipal police departments. 

add in state police...

+680,000 cops total.

that said, the most common factor in reducing police violence is education. not training mind you. had this discussion on this board a few years past and we were surprised by how resistant were some to findings o' the most common denominator for avoiding police excess. the higher is the educational level attained by police, the less likely is excessive force complaints. is correlative? so what? not race. not sex. not even experience comes close to education. make sure your cops has a college degree and excess force complaints decrease dramatic. simple, no? 

no.

large municipalities in particular is constant needing lower their standards to find enough qualified applicants. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I have no issue requiring the police to have the same level of education as an educator. BA or BA plus a year of police academy, then a year of student teaching, err, student policing? Heh, I like it, but I don't know i it will ever happen.

9 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I have no issue requiring the police to have the same level of education as an educator. BA or BA plus a year of police academy, then a year of student teaching, err, student policing? Heh, I like it, but I don't know i it will ever 

I think a bachelor's degree should be mandatory for one to become a policeman. I guess you have very different practises depending on which state/city we're talking about. There's probably a more pressing need for police in Baltimore than in Portland.

Then again, you could also say there's more pressing need for educated police in Baltimore.

• Like 1

Problem is how they are going to attract folks with 4 year degrees. I mean, I know a bunch of folks who would rather be doing something more important or meaningful or whatnot but the pay just isn't there. I don't meaning balling out of control either just living comfortably and not having to go on sugar daddy web sites to get by which has supposedly become a thing for some teachers.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Police tend to make more than teachers, although not a lot more. They also have pretty solid retirement plans. Plus you are supposed to be in good shape if you are on the force, so they should do better than us educators on those sugar daddy websites. I mean, my rockin' body is an exception, most teachers are pretty soft. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1