Weirder, More random, More Interesting.

Amentep

33 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

These all really hit home. The entire paradigm of private life and upward mobility is way off course for the lives of millennials. Even a millennial who managed to land good paying job is way behind the average boomer in life progress, net worth, and home ownership. The thing with boomers though, is it seems many of them relinquished many of their advantages over the decades so it's not even a matter of them just dying off and passing the baton. In fact it's mostly young people being taken off their life course to support a generation that is retiring early and living for ever, all while the young generation isn't getting any air space to start their own families.

IMO, since the advent of the internet, we have become collectively "dumber". Not in the sense that we have lost the capacity to understand a concept, but in the fact that we no longer have to remember anything. When we can look up any information at will then we do not have to retain it. I feel this feeds into piss poor problem solving skills and a sense of required instant gratification. Also, lol at "the world is holding be back".

The "boomer dads didn't teach them" bit hit home hard. Back in the day when I first tried soldering I royally screwed up and melted a bunch of crap and later I showed my dad and he literally said "that's not how I taught you" and then got he got pissed when I pointed out to him that not only didn't he teach me that, I didn't even know he even owned a soldering iron or knew how to use it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

IMO, since the advent of the internet, we have become collectively "dumber". Not in the sense that we have lost the capacity to understand a concept, but in the fact that we no longer have to remember anything. When we can look up any information at will then we do not have to retain it. I feel this feeds into piss poor problem solving skills and a sense of required instant gratification. Also, lol at "the world is holding be back".

I don't know, I'm able to tackle some pretty complex problems because of youtube videos. It also allows me see different ideas without going to a bunch of stores and spending money. Heck, my daughter is way more advanced at building, painting, and all sorts of creative stuff than I ever was pre-internet, and she is getting a lot of it from pinterest and other websites.

Sadly my son is just getting better at video games. :(

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Sadly my son is just getting better at video games. :(

There's some real money to be made these days if he's good enough. Or bad enough to be entertaining. I have no idea how all these Let's Play people can make a living off YouTube or streamers can rake in loads of cash with a skill level like that. Kind of makes me jealous to have been born 15 to 20 years too early.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

there is much truth in this. easy access to information is fantastic and am having a hard time genuine recalling what a chore it were finding facts and relevant opinions during even our university years. the thing is, the old timey process actual requires thinking. if you gotta research info and then decide for self which sources has most relevant info... and then generate your own conclusions based on info uncovered, you are gonna learn not only 'bout the subject matter in question, but you are gonna learn to learn. 

internet sources such as wiki not only provide facts, but conclusions. the relevant sources is weighed and measured and probed by somebody else. we mentioned yesterday how sharp complained to us when we mocked him for linking unread sources... saw nothing wrong with link an article based on title and frequency it were quoted. the entire process o' research and learning has been streamlined, which is convenient beyond measure. unfortunate, is tough to teach folks how to learn if there is no reason to do so.  when analysis is just another app, how does one learn?

HA! Good Fun!

ps 'course Gromnir is too curmudgeon to even fit w/i context o' shady's linked baby boomer v millennial twitter war. have never tweeted... evar. don't have a social media footprint and we don't even own a smartphone... got one o' those streamlined "rugged" kyocera flip phones. am not as extreme as gd who is likely making his own candles and probable converted his truck to run on waste kitchen oil instead o' petrol, but am kinda anachronistic even so.

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just now, Gfted1 said:

I wonder if we taste like chicken?

pork

https://www.google.com/search?q=Karl+Denke&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS699US699&oq=Karl+Denke&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

guy sold human meat as "pork" for many years.

is no consensus per se, but weight appears to favor pork... or such is our recollection.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)