Weirder, More random, More Interesting.

Amentep

for the star trek fans (who may already know) and anybody else curious 'bout origins of mary sue label.

The Women Who Coined the Term 'Mary Sue'

“Science fiction fandom, in general, was like 80 percent men,” Ferraro ballparks. “'Star Trek' fandom was the exact opposite; at least 75 percent women.”

had no idea. 

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

10 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

With millennial, you'd think that the parents and grandparents would be more of an asset, but often times it seems like they aren't. So much of the previous generations wealth is locked away in the home, in hsas and retirement. I think most assumed the cost of school and housing wasn't going to change for their kids, so they were left to societies faculties, while the parents basically deferred their liquid wealth for retirement. Instead of using it raise the next generation. It's especially telling how with a lot of old people, the only way to access their fortunes is to go into the medical industry and get payed out of the boomers insurance plans.

As far as boomer's possessions. I can't help but feel an entire generation largely bought material goods which aren't heirloom worthy. And for antiques so much of it was luxury stuff related to "domestic ceremony" that just has no place in our modern world.

When I watch artisan videos on youtube, it makes me want to have fewer but more prized and personal possessions. By valuing the minimal more, your life is in someways less bound to the material, because each thing has a personal important in your routine or life. Just having things to have them is what becomes taxing, even if they are so replaceable that you'd say that "you have no attatchment to them." Maybe true, but your more of a slave to them, as opposed to them being the tools to you.

• Like 1

Or people can just buy the stuff they feel they should have and can afford, ignore the "keeping up with the Joneses" trends, ignore the "why do you have so much stuff" trends and try not worry about whatever other trend rationale's to buy or keep stuff there may be.  Understand that want is different from need.

And in the end, if the  Grandkids don't want the stuff you don't want to keep yourself? Sell it.  Give it to a charity to sell.  Give it away to other people who want it.  Trash it.  Why do antiques have any value?  Its because sometimes people don't want to keep on to old stuff (combined with wars, moves, disasters and general lack of appreciation).  It happens periodically that the next generation rejects the previous.  It will always happen periodically.  If it comes time to, in my old age, relinquish my possessions and my surviving family don't want to take anything, its no skin off my back.  Not everyone likes the same things I like and hold on to.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A 69 year old great grandmother who uses CBD oil (a legal marijuana product) to alleviate arthritis pain was arrested at Disney World in Orlando FL. The police put her in jail for 12 hours before charges were dropped. In Florida it is illegal to  sell CBD but not have it. The woman lives in North Carolina where there are no restrictions. Although Orange County Sheriff insists the arrest was lawful it was clear they didn't understand what they law actually was. The charges have been dropped and the lawsuits are coming. I hope she cleans them out. 

https://www.wesh.com/article/lawsuit-over-cbd-arrest-at-disney/27465754

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

does anybody know what the service academy physical fitness requirements is? am not talking entrance requirements, but rather those pf standards for those already accepted. am assuming cadets and plebes gotta maintain a basic level o' fitness. the reason am asking is 'cause we saw a picture o' folks 'bout to graduate from west point and we were kinda startled by the number o' folks who look like they had enjoyed far more jelly donuts than had private pyle.

sure, marine boot camp is a different situation, but am recalling touring annapolis, west point and the air force academy during the late 80s and every cadet and plebe we met, regardless o' gender, appeared to be in peak physical condition. 

anybody know what is pf standards at academies or if standards have changed in recent times? am genuine kinda curious as we were a bit embarrassed by the prevalence o' doughy cadets 'bout to graduate from west point.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm afraid my knowledge is 30 years out of date now. But the Naval Academy & West Point had the same entry level requirements as OCS and Enlisted Basic Training/Boot Camp. They were not terribly stringent at entry level. The big things were height/weight/BMI. As long as you hit those numbers physical fitness will come on it's own. I can't imagine it's terribly different now. The Air Force was very different in almost every way to the Army, and Navy/Marine Corps. I'm afraid I have no clue about that one. I can't imagine it would be too far off. For the Navy it was 10 push ups, 50 sit ups and a 1.5 mile run in 15 min (I think, not sure on the time but I am sure on the distance) The Marines it was 3 pull ups, 50 sit ups, and a 3 mile run in 27 minutes. 

The military does an exceptionally good job at turning people of average or below average physical fitness into well above average people. The service academies even more so I'd think. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Air Force Academy entry requirements:

Exercise Max. Goal Max. Goal
  Men Women
Basketball Throw 102′ 69′ 66′ 42′
Pull-Ups (men/women) 18 12 7 2
Flexed Arm Hang (women)     63 sec 31 sec
Shuttle Run 7.8 sec 8.1 sec 8.6 sec 9.4 sec
Modified Sit-Ups (crunches) 95 81 95 78
Push-Ups 75 62 50 41
One Mile Run 5:20 6:29 6:00 7:3

Air Force Academy AFT and PFT (taken each semester):

Physical Fitness Test:

Event Men Women
  Mean Max Mean Max
Pull-Ups 12 21 3 8
Long Jump 7’7″ 8’0″ 6’3″ 7’2″
Crunches 71 95 71 95
Push-Ups 48 72 29 48
600-Yard Run 1:53 1:35 2:12 1:53

Aerobic Fitness Test (AFT)

Event Men Women
  Mean Max Mean Max
1.5-Mile Run 11:15 7:45 13:31 8:55

What I can find on West Points site is only the entry requirements which are slightly lower than the Air Force Academy, but I can't find their ongoing requirements.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Good to know my fitness is even more subpar than what I first thought.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There is mention that the events are consecutive with specific completion and rest times, but what those time intervals are does not appear to be listed on their website that I can see.  

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

There is mention that the events are consecutive with specific completion and rest times, but what those time intervals are does not appear to be listed on their website that I can see.  

a year or so remote, we watched video o' entrance examinees for west point. for pushups, showed a 2-minute time limit, but had to maintain 4-point contact during 2-minutes: only hands and feet touching ground. prospect could "rest" by pausing and kinda arching back upwards. if knees or elbows touched ground, time were called. 

not certain if am giving a decent visual.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
realized we saw video a bit more remote than we first recollected

I thought this was a pretty good read about people "recovering" and leaving hate groups and what made them decide to do it. The short answer is this: Be nice to everyone you meet. Be generous and friendly even when you don't have to be. Even when you don't want to be. Viktor Frankel once wrote that there are only two races, the decent and the indecent. Be the former always. You never know who it might have an impact on. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2019-05-11/cure-for-hate-former-skinheads 

Edited by Guard Dog
Forgot the link
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

On the 75th Anniversary of D-Day, Native Americans Remember Veterans’ Service and Sacrifices

"The 44,000 Native American men who served represent more than ten percent of the American Indian population at that time. A third of Native men between the ages of 18 and 50 served. Some tribes had as high as 70 percent participation in the war effort."

also

The Invention That Won World War II

"The vessel’s unique design coupled with the inventor’s dogged determination to succeed may very well have swung the balance of victory to within grasp of the Allies. At least, that’s what President Dwight D. Eisenhower believed. “Andrew Higgins is the man who won the war for us,” he told author Stephen Ambrose in a 1964 interview."

HA! Good Fun! 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Call me crazy but it seems it would be more efficient to leave Earth rather than make Earth leave: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1138008/earth-orbit-change-dying-sun-asteroid-mining-solar-sail-space-news

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Call me crazy but it seems it would be more efficient to leave Earth rather than make Earth leave: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1138008/earth-orbit-change-dying-sun-asteroid-mining-solar-sail-space-news

Reminds me how some people want to terraform Mars when we can't even manage our own habitat of Earth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, injurai said:

Reminds me how some people want to terraform Mars when we can't even manage our own habitat of Earth.

Even that plan is more realistic. But when the sun goes nova Mars will still be too close

Thomas Sowell