Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[4.1.2] hunter's claw is extremely busted in all sorts of ways (topic originally was "weird weird bug: different kinds of 'beasts'")

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1720 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Glad I dodged this bullet, ability looked nice on paper (as with a lot of things in this game) ultimately wasn't sure if the bonus applied only to melee attacks so I skipped it

FWIW it applies to everything, including the damage bonus (so includes spells cast against the target race). So this ability is extremely balance-breaking if exploited.

Theoretically you could upgrade it to the defense boosting version instead of the dmg I did and make any ranger untouchable against creature types--including megabosses--as well (while basically having 100% crit rate). It didn't even require that much effort to get up the 50ish stacks I'm sitting at right now, with 8 bond and dual-wielding I get 6-8 per encounter, and I'm on Berath's so if you split up encounters outside of Berath's challenge you can do a lot per any small gathering of creature types (just split one at a time so you can build up a bunch of stacks). Wouldn't work so well with Woedica's challenge alas (at least without a cipher to help you regen resources).

Edited by thelee, 24 March 2019 - 03:46 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15233 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, it applies to every offensive action.

You can also use blunderbusses or mortars + Driving Flight to stack more quickly. You only need one melee weapon to unlock the use.

DiabloStorm

DiabloStorm

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts

You can also use blunderbusses or mortars + Driving Flight to stack more quickly. You only need one melee weapon to unlock the use.

So, not sure I understand... First, what do you mean by Mortars?

Also....so, the first melee hit determines the target race and then any hits by any means increase the stack? Do aoe spells work?

Mortar?
Tdb0cB0.png

Edited by DiabloStorm, 24 March 2019 - 06:50 PM.

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1720 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I tried this based on you saying something like this earlier, and I could not get this interaction to work. The ranged weapon is ignored for the full attack.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15233 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
@thelee:
You have to start the full attack from range and not from melee distance. Then the melee weapon gets ignored. With a blunderbuss you still get 8 stacks per shot which is better than 2 with melee. Ooor they patched it. :)

@DiabloStorm:
Only hits with Hunter's Flaw add stacks, no spells.

But yes, once you have stacks they will add +ACC (and the upgrade +dmg) to everything including spells.

Of course Hand Mortars (Hand Mortar and Fire in the Hole). It may even be that Blinding Smoke counts as hit. Can't remember. Fire in the Hole has an additional jump that helps to generate more hits (=stacks) per shot.

Other AoE ranged weapons are two handed except Minor Blights and Rot Skulls and thus won't work since you need(ed?) a melee weapon to trick the game since Hunter's Flaw is melee only.

Edited by Boeroer, 24 March 2019 - 09:18 PM.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2440 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

With a blunderbuss you still get 8 stacks per shot which is better than 2 with melee. Ooor they patched it. :)

Can't check this atm.

But when I was using Hunter's Claw with dual-warhammers, I was getting: +1 accuracy per ability usage.
+1, +2, +3, etc.

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1720 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

With a blunderbuss you still get 8 stacks per shot which is better than 2 with melee. Ooor they patched it. :)

Can't check this atm.

But when I was using Hunter's Claw with dual-warhammers, I was getting: +1 accuracy per ability usage.
+1, +2, +3, etc.

can semi-verify: was able to attack at range with blunderbuss after boeroer's last post, and it only gives you one stack per weapon attack. you can verify this in combat log with multiple blunderbuss hits - your character sheet only gains one stack, and in the combat log each accuracy calculation uses the same amount of hunter's claw stacks, it doesn't increase throughout the attack.

you definitely can get up to two if you connect two separate attacks via dual-wielding.

Edited by thelee, 25 March 2019 - 03:17 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15233 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A shame. Well or not. I reported this some time ago and it seems it got patched. Not that you can use it with ranged weapons, but the multiple stacks per ability use (dpending on number of attack rolls per ability use). You could also get 2 stacks from Sun & Moon and multiple ones with Keeper of the Flame. That's also not working anymore I presume? 

Edited by Boeroer, 25 March 2019 - 03:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users