Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Trailer

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1551 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think it might also be a kneejerk reaction to show people want these games on Steam, not Epic.

Plus that cult game had 15 years gather fans.

it would be interesting to know how many people now actually own that game, i know it was debacle on release

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

I own it and I never even played it. >_>

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think Bloodlines has not only grown into a cult classic, but it also kinda "crosses over" a bit. 

1. Hardcore RPG fans will like it because Troika and that design mentality.

2. Vampire fans (both Masquerade fans as well as "general" vampire fans) will like it. And even among games with vampires, it still feels pretty unique with its heavy emphasis on modern urban living. It's also very "adult" which will make people interested.

3. While the FPS mechanics aren't exactly great, the first person perspective and action-y gameplay bring in some people that don't necessarily like isometric or third person type of RPGs.

4. It's been kept alive through modding as well as the fact that it keeps being brought up by people as well as gaming sites. And it's readily available now through Gog and STEAM.

But yeah, it is pretty crazy to think about still...

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

^ It's 1,2, and 4 for me as the played the first game entirely in 3rd person but I do also think TN is already probably right about it being on all platforms at launch at a time is also a factor.  The timing kind of worked out perfectly with all the Epic shenanigans going on. I'm sure 3 is also a huge factor for a lot of others though.

Regarding 2, I've been so starved for a vampire (lowercase as I'm not familiar with uppercase much outside of the previous games) RPGs that I nearly got that Vampyr game but the gameplay and camera were really offputting to me and I'd prefer modern urban fantasy/horror over pretty much anything else for such things. 

Question to those who are familiar with Vampire, how would we go from being a thinblood to some ultra-powerful vampire? Diablerie?

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4724 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

^ It's 1,2, and 4 for me as the played the first game entirely in 3rd person but I do also think TN is already probably right about it being on all platforms at launch at a time is also a factor.  The timing kind of worked out perfectly with all the Epic shenanigans going on. I'm sure 3 is also a huge factor for a lot of others though.

Regarding 2, I've been so starved for a vampire (lowercase as I'm not familiar with uppercase much outside of the previous games) RPGs that I nearly got that Vampyr game but the gameplay and camera were really offputting to me and I'd prefer modern urban fantasy/horror over pretty much anything else for such things. 

Question to those who are familiar with Vampire, how would we go from being a thinblood to some ultra-powerful vampire? Diablerie?

”Generally, the only way a vampire changes generation is through diablerie. When a Cainite diablerizes a vampire of lower generation their generation decreases by one or possibly more if the victim was particularly potent. There are other, much rarer, methods of changing generation, but they usually involve powerful sorcery and are closely guarded secrets.”
  • Gfted1, Hurlshot, ShadySands and 2 others like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

tenor.gif?itemid=4100026

Welcome back

• Raithe, sorophx and IndiraLightfoot like this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 998 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So, any word on whether we can make our vampires sparkle? Not buying if it doesn't live up to the new reality of vampirism. ;)

• Hurlshot likes this

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

Generally, you don't.

Diablerie is the obvious answer, but that not something to be done lightly. In PnP you can easily lose control of your PC -permanently- if you try it on elder vampires, and it's a huge no-no in vampire society. To do so as a Caitiff is more or less tantamount to suicide unless you have some seriously powerful "friends"... who would only be allowing you to go through with the deed because they need you for their own ends. Besides, you only lower your generation by one for each snack, so you'd have to be some kind of serial diablerist to go from thin-blood to, say, 7th gen or so. It's not something you can hide from either, because your aura is permanently damaged.

There's also a Tremere ritual (there's a ritual for just about anything) that allows temporarily lowering generation. The GM I played with especially hated this because it could, in theory, allow you to temporarily lower your gen to 3rd, meaning unlimited blood point expenditure per turn. But even if you could find someone who actually knows it, you'd have to persuade them to share the information. And that's kind of anathema for Tremere.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Yea, I know. Im bellyaching because I cant play that perspective without getting nauseous. 

I always try, because there are some that I'm ok with.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3844 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

”Generally, the only way a vampire changes generation is through diablerie. When a Cainite diablerizes a vampire of lower generation their generation decreases by one or possibly more if the victim was particularly potent. There are other, much rarer, methods of changing generation, but they usually involve powerful sorcery and are closely guarded secrets.”

Nephie, you're alive!!!

...Also the game will suck....pun not intended.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 354 posts

I think it might also be a kneejerk reaction to show people want these games on Steam, not Epic.

Well, it's on Epic anyways.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4029 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So, any word on whether we can make our vampires sparkle? Not buying if it doesn't live up to the new reality of vampirism. ;)

That should be an easteregg clan. If you chose it, the game becomes extremely hard, because you can't do **** and just sparkle all the time.

• majestic likes this

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

Super excited for this. Never was able to finish the original due to a bug that made it impossible to advance the story but I had a fun time with it.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, it's on Epic anyways.

Sure, but presumably the thought process is that if there are 10x the preorders on steam compared to EGS it will encourage publishers to stay on steam.

(of course most of the complaints aren't really about EGS exclusivity etc but about it not being on steam. Anyone who really cared about exclusivity or monitoring would be using GOG in preference for a game available there. Having said that, during a sale Bloodlines 2 Highest Price Edition is #1 seller, and it has two entries in the top 4 so GOG sales can't be bad)

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 805 posts

Very excited about this. The trailer seems very action packed, but it wasn't action that made the first one great. It was the writing. The first game was like Yakuza: Zero in the sense that every little side quest was well-written and interesting. We'll have to see if they can recapture that magic.

And they better have funny speech patterns for the Malkavians again! And don't tell me funny speech comes in a DLC pack!

I just assume the action in the trailer is for new players and the vague dialogue is there to tease established fanbase. I trust Mitsoda when he says it feels like Bloodlines. If they've managed to recreate that immersive environment - dialogue/voice acting/unique, fun quests within real world locations/pc interface, late night radio programs/multiple play styles, choices, etc., then I probably won't need another game for a decade.

Fun to think what modern changes will be made to the world. Podcasts instead of radio with even loonier guests given the political/conspiratorial landscape, bigger Nosferatu presence to fight big tech, etc. Hope PCs aren't omitted for phones though and also the budget allows for all of the immersive content. Looks good so far though.

Also glad the game will tie into Seattle's history, like Bloodlines with historic LA. Much more interesting than some modern/squeaky clean/futuristic narrative. Give me the caked on history with lore, filth and all.

Edited by Blodhemn, 23 March 2019 - 06:49 PM.

• Heijoushin likes this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3480 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer

Brian is passionate about writing and trying to create immersive worlds. Dead State had a lot of issues, but Brian's writing was not one of them.

• Hurlshot, ShadySands, Lexx and 1 other like this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3480 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer

And some internet troll is trying to use the excitement for Bloodlines 2 to get clicks by throwing around SJW buzzwords and accusing Paradox of censorship. Yay!

Well, if the hateful gnomes of the net are already rallying against the game, it must be good.

• Azdeus and IndiraLightfoot like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I always try, because there are some that I'm ok with.

Its interesting to me the difference a few degrees can make. I could play FO:NV for a few hours in that slightly over the shoulder view, but DX:HR made me sick before I could finish the tutorial. :lol:

Super excited for this. Never was able to finish the original due to a bug that made it impossible to advance the story but I had a fun time with it.

Did it involve a warewolf and an observatory door?

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

And some internet troll is trying to use the excitement for Bloodlines 2 to get clicks by throwing around SJW buzzwords and accusing Paradox of censorship. Yay!

Well, if the hateful gnomes of the net are already rallying against the game, it must be good.

I'm not aware of this, but Paradox did step in to force a rewrite of a VtM supplement a few months ago, after the perpetually offended claimed it contained passages that were "disrespectful" to LGTBQ+ groups. White Wolf had their editorial independence taken away as a result and is now just a brand manager.

Whether that constitutes "censorship" is debatable, but Paradox have a well-earned reputation for coming down hard on speech they don't approve of.

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

Did it involve a warewolf and an observatory door?

Close, I was near the end game area going to kill the of the leader of the Kuei-ji. I couldn't open a door to proceed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trailer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users