Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

ktchong

On 10/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, RichardRichieRich said:

Does the game look exciting? Do you think it's still worth trying?

Unless it gets reviewed as terrible by multiple gaming websites and gamers on release I will definitely be playing this game, I Iove games set in the Vampire universe 🧛‍♂️ And when I mean terrible I dont mean due to bugs as those can be fixed like Cyb2077

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, Keyrock said:

I just realized that Harebrained Schemes is owned by Paradox...

please-please-god.gif

I doubt it because I don't think they'd be as secretive if they were moving it from a partially owned studio to a fully owned studio. Of course, I could be wrong, that's why they call me Often Wrong Soong.

• Haha 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, melkathi said:

As you may remember  I have always believed this game was going to be released and this link just adds more optimism to my view. And when the first image of the update is a hot vampire women it adds to this belief

I am one of  those traditional  gamers that believes if a gaming studio believes in " chainmail bikini armor " artistic design its always  a sign of confidence in the game 🧛‍♂️

But saying all that the article does highlight how close the game was to being shut down due to the incompetence of Hardsuit Labs and I would have understood the Paradox business decision. But  then serendipity and luck occured and another gaming studio was able to convince Paradox to continue with the game and that's an effective sales pitch

But I will only  really  be happy when we  know the official name of the new development studio. Until then I will be  cautiously optimistic but I am not going to  definitely believe it will be released 

But its a very good update on Bloodlines 2 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Them not mentioning who is working on the game is not a good thing in my book. They probably fear some huge backlash .. why else hide it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

15 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Them not mentioning who is working on the game is not a good thing in my book. They probably fear some huge backlash .. why else hide it?

not sure, i mean we will know it sooner or later so I am not sure how this can stop any backlash... I am leaning to fact that they are not sure if that studio can pull it off and are waiting for some demos from them first to see if they are going to cash out on them or go through with it

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

7 minutes ago, Lexx said:

There is another reason for not mentioning the company name and its a business reason but its better to give the reason he mentioned than give the reason below

The new company wants to complete the game and Paradox is comfortable  they can technically deliver but the new company would have to complete a proper assessment of how much work is required to truly finish what Hardsuit Labs had started. And I can imagine only once they look at the overall technical progress and problems can they say to Paradox " yes we can deliver the game " and this  is definitely the best way to ensure you dont commit to Bloodlines 2 but after 3 months suddenly they realize their is some fundamental  Hardsuit Labs design module flaw and they now they need another 9 months or so

And Paradox really doesn't need another software company failing to deliver so they would rather wait for the new company to complete its audit. And once the name is released it will be a real sign of delivery of the game :thumbsup:

John Milton 

On 11/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, Lexx said:

Probably because internet weirdos were harassing the developers at Hardsuit and they don't want to subject the new team to that.

Also, we don't need to know that information. They can safely keep it secret until they have a release date to give us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I just finished Vampire: Coteries and it was a quick but overall enjoyable sojourn in the WOD universe. I know Bloodlines 2 is an ARPG and is going to be a completely different game than Coteries but I really miss the WOD lore and game world

I hope Bloodlines 2 is finally released , I really do 🧛‍♀️

John Milton 

So now you'll play Shadows?

Coteries had some interesting character exploration of your coterie members. But the 0 agency of the player and singular ending was rather disappointing. Sadly Shadows, while giving the possibility of different endings, was a lot less interesting, with the feeling that you did fewer meaningful things on the way.

Heart of the Forest (different devs and werewoofs instead of vampires) was so much better than either.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, Lexx said:

Maybe it's Arkane Studios. :p

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

On 11/17/2021 at 4:26 PM, Lexx said:

EH, I expect they just got burned by first attempt. They made the project public already, so they confirmed it is not abandoned, but they will keep it out of public attention until it develops further. 

I really wonder what was the reason. I mean I know that 'demo' was scripted as hell and probably staged a lot but it looked solid. I know that latest version of rules is very inclusive so it really might have been that some people took it too far? I mean it could have been anything, maybe tons of bugs? I don't even know, was it in-house engine or some classic?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

We'll likely never know.

Given what is known, most likely a combination of typical poor Paradox management of external projects and Hardsuit not being a good fit for the project; which in terms of what practically went wrong could mean just about anything from Paradox changing their minds on stuff day to day (not likely, historically if anything they've been too hands off) or developers and writers not talking to each other to it just being... boring.

The engine was UE4, so plenty well supported.

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

EH, I expect they just got burned by first attempt. They made the project public already, so they confirmed it is not abandoned, but they will keep it out of public attention until it develops further. 

There's a quarterly report due from Paradox next month, there may be some news then, if they're asked about it. That would be... 15 months, since it was taken off Hardsuit? so it's getting to the point where there ought to be more news. Though anything they do say will likely be in corporate speak like last time.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

"If you've ever looked at the mess that is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 and thought to yourself, "I could do better than that," here's your big chance to prove it."

Not sure if Paradox going open(ish) license on VtM really implies anything for VtMB2, but given the prior press and lack of news it's hard not to read it negatively.

No its got nothing to really do with Bloodlines 2, its just about the IP being available for developers 

If you look at the list below these seem to be all smaller games or narrative RPG like Coterie but they not full length RPG like Bloodlines 2. So this is good news and just provides more visibility to the WOD franchise 

"These are the first six games from the Vampire Jam launching under the Unbound program:

DESCENT: Survival horror adventure set in an old cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Find out who the inhabitants are and stay safe while uncovering the terrifying story. You can check out a trailer for DESCENT here.

THE CHANTRY TRIALS: A puzzle game with horror elements where the protagonist undergoes various “tests” to prove worthy as a Vampire of clan Tremere. 

THE GAME OF ELDERS: A strategic card game with plenty of options to experiment. Play as an Elder Vampire who uses all assets available to survive. 

THE AUTUMN PEOPLE: First Person Shooter that encourages exploration to uncover its story, set in modern night Phoenix, AZ.

PRAXIS: A mix of 4X strategy and roleplaying where you climb to the top of the Vampire hierarchy in Portland, Oregon. Build up a coterie of like-minded Kindred, gather intel and influence, and claim Praxis! 

PRODIGAL: Delve into a rotting mansion and your twisted psyche to uncover the truth of your memories in a Vampire: The Masquerade point-and-click adventure "

John Milton 

• 1 month later...

Word on the street was that the developer that has been working on Bloodlines 2 is The Chinese Room, a British development studio (owned by Sumo Digital, who are in turn owned by Tencent). They have previously developed Little Orpheus, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, although the latter two those were quite a while ago and a lot of talent has moved around since then.

Just a rumour of course. It struck me as plausible because firstly the Sumo group and their subsidiaries are widely used work for hire studios with the sort of technical skills to take a mid scale game to the finishing line, and secondly because it's not some kind of obvious fantasy pick. 

At some point I should probably get around to requesting a refund on my Blood Moon Steam Preorder and do something productive with that money until they show the game again, lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-release-date

Here is a summary of the sequence of events of the problems Paradox has had around development, its still in development but the closest the project came to being  cancelled was when the original developers, Hardsuit Labs , were fired 

Im cautiously  optimistic that this game will be released but it concerns me Paradox wont announce who the new developers are. Why keep it secret?

John Milton