Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

ktchong

This actually looks really good. Too bad that it too, like TOW, is only in first-person so it's out for me.

source?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

A few dumb questions, because I am terrible in remembering names or who did what in what game:

- Are Tim and Leonard ( the ones who direct The Outer Worlds ) involved with bloodlines 2?

I thought they were the master minds behind all Troika games.

- Was MCA involved in the original game?

- I am not an expert for World of darkness.

I have read that there is an old WoD and a new one and Bloodlines1 was based on the old one.

Is Bloodlines 2 based on the old or new WoD?

The first game was great (with the fan patch that fixes bugs and restores some content).

The atmosphere was fantastic, game mechanics not so much.

I will not pre order the game until I have more info.

A few dumb questions, because I am terrible in remembering names or who did what in what game:

- Are Tim and Leonard ( the ones who direct The Outer Worlds ) involved with bloodlines 2?

I thought they were the master minds behind all Troika games.

- Was MCA involved in the original game?

- I am not an expert for World of darkness.

I have read that there is an old WoD and a new one and Bloodlines1 was based on the old one.

Is Bloodlines 2 based on the old or new WoD?

The first game was great (with the fan patch that fixes bugs and restores some content).

The atmosphere was fantastic, game mechanics not so much.

I will not pre order the game until I have more info.

Tim and Leonard are not involved in Bloodlines 2. I think Leonard did art on Bloodlines and I think Tim was a programmer.

Brian Mitsoda wrote most (all?) of Bloodlines and he is back in a similar role for Bloodlines 2. MCA wasn't involved in Bloodlines at all.

No idea about the WoD stuff.

Regarding the WoD stuff, it will most likely be based on the new old WoD. Yep, new old.

Basically, White Wolf originally ended the old WoD (called oWoD) and created new WoD (nWoD). nWoD was more goth, less punk pretty much. Power and scale of everything was reduced, streamlined etc, very different setting (and more coherent across the lines) with humans being the default characters in the core rulebook and you then applied the template of the creature you wanted on top (werewolf, vampire, mage etc) from the sourcebooks for that race. As with any new thing, many people rejected it and did not like it, I personally did like it but could understand some of the problems people had with it (while noticing that those people never applied the same scrutiny to the oWoD but I digress). 

White Wolf got bought up by the Eve Online guys who pretty much just sat on it let it rot while the staff pulled an Obsidian and ran off to form Onyx Path, who White Wolf outsourced the tabletop WoD stuff to. Then Paradox bought White Wolf and wanted to bring back the oWoD. They renamed nWoD Chronicles of Darkness instead, and remade oWoD. There was then lots of issues apparently but I have not followed the situation for years so have no idea about all that. 

So basically, current WoD is a remake of old WoD and new WoD has been turned into a spinoff.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This actually looks really good. Too bad that it too, like TOW, is only in first-person so it's out for me.

source?

https://twitter.com/VtM_Bloodlines/status/1108948381127204865

It's weird because so much of the pre-order stuff is outfits

yFnhtA9.png

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

source?

well that effing stupid, there was ton of melee combat, I can't imagine good melee in FP. WTF?

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

well that effing stupid, there was ton of melee combat, I can't imagine good melee in FP. WTF?

There was a ton of melee combat in Dying Light as well, and it worked perfectly from a first person perspective. Better than, say, Witcher 3.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

source?

Thanks, @ShadySands.

Yeah I agree it really sucks. On the game's website they say "mostly" first person though the camera will pull back to third person for a few of the melee animations, which makes it all the more stupid that they didn't just include a full-on third person option. I guess in today's high end graphics games, it's just too much of an extra cost for devs to include multiple camera positions.

Full first-person and third-person costs a lot more to make and oftentimes it still won't look good (no, it didn't looked good in Bloodlines 1). Personally I'd rather have them do one thing good instead of two things mediocre.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, I think of it like this. If they make it 3rd person only then they'll lose out on people who refuse to play from that view but if they make it 1st person they will lose out on people who can't play with that view. I've not often heard of people getting sick from 3rd person view but this thread and the TOW boards have people complaining of motion sickness in 1st. Would prefer a toggle but since that doesn't seem to be in the cards then I hope the same thing I hope for with TOW, some good field of view options.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Tim and Leonard are not involved in Bloodlines 2. I think Leonard did art on Bloodlines and I think Tim was a programmer.

Brian Mitsoda wrote most (all?) of Bloodlines and he is back in a similar role for Bloodlines 2. MCA wasn't involved in Bloodlines at all.

Probably worth mentioning Jason Anderson as well, since he was Creative Director where Bloodlines excelled, and he was the third of the 'Troika'. Presumably he isn't involved since he hasn't been mentioned and last I heard he wasn't in the gaming business any more- though that was a while ago and I haven't been paying especial attention.

IIRC Brian has said he didn't write all of Bloodlines, just most of it.

Probably worth mentioning Jason Anderson as well, since he was Creative Director where Bloodlines excelled, and he was the third of the 'Troika'. Presumably he isn't involved since he hasn't been mentioned and last I heard he wasn't in the gaming business any more- though that was a while ago and I haven't been paying especial attention.

Wrong! https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/1110248922587385856

Edited by Infinitron

Fargo gazumped me by a whole hour and half.

He should be a good addition for InXile.

[Hmm, Interplay, InXile and Turtle Rock after leaving Troika, now back to InXile again. I really wasn't paying especial attention]

Edited by Zoraptor

Does anyone remember who created the Ocean House Hotel level? I remember an interview (or rather, more like an AMA) with the guy, likely on Gamebanshee before they ruined their forums, but I'm entirely unable to find it again :(

Btw, what made that level special, at least for those that weren't knowledgeable about the WoD, is that you had not idea what was out there. For all you knew on first entry there actually is something in there that could easily give you your final death. Of course, like many levels designed like that they only really work once.

For all you knew on first entry there actually is something in there that could easily give you your final death. Of course, like many levels designed like that they only really work once.

On top of my head there were at least two things that could easily give you final death -- the elevator and the fire. Possibly ignominious death by kitchenware too, if you lingered there long enough. 

also some rumors that this is getting woke, I really hope its just bullcrap

I prefer 1st person to 3rd person perspective. It worked well with Fallout: New Vegas and I hope it works the same way(or better) for TOW. I'll be pre-ordering TOW + Season Pass for the Xbone X asap because I miss New Vegas that much. With Bloodlines 2 it remains to be seen though, it all depends how faithful(in spirit, not in gameplay for crying out loud) it remains to the original Bloodlines, I enjoyed the hell out of that game and one of these days I aim to replay it, I already have it installed on Steam with the latest fan patch.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

also some rumors that this is getting woke, I really hope its just bullcrap

If it's just a pronoun in the character creation, I don't really care.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

There's a keynotes video on YouTube where Brian says he wants to handle certain things with "more respect". Whether that means Malkavian insanity won't be treated as comic relief and the owner of a strip club won't ask you to assassinate someone while in her lingerie or that you get to pick from a list of 20 genders remains to be seen but my money would be on the former.

Well, they are based out of one of the biggest left wing places in the country. The first game took some comedic stabs at the right, but it fit the environment, wasn't rampant and it's good to not be so uptight about such things anyway. It'd only be troublesome to me if the writing as a whole lost quality either because of agenda taking precedence or a simple lack of creativity.

Im very excited about this game and its a definite purchase for me ....  and damn those Vampire ladies are hot  :sweat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, they are based out of one of the biggest left wing places in the country. The first game took some comedic stabs at the right, but it fit the environment, wasn't rampant and it's good to not be so uptight about such things anyway. It'd only be troublesome to me if the writing as a whole lost quality either because of agenda taking precedence or a simple lack of creativity.

You are clearly unaware of Deus Vult Simulator 2 or Mass Genoicide in Space with Slavery.

Edited by Vitalis
  • Like 1

The less impersonal horrific crimes are, and the more dispersed it is. The less society relatively punishes for it. If you are an identifiable dev writing an identifiable character who acts out an identifiable crime which is a singular act in the game as opposed to a frequent minute to minute mechanic. Then you are as guilty as the character you wrote, and we (they) can rally against you ever putting such a thing in a game again.

Not only has Paradox's fan-base been of the type that wouldn't really care about depictions of historic horrors. There also isn't much explicit or easily identifiable. Compare to having a character hit a woman in one scene, but redeemed in another. Uhh ohh, that is misogyny alongside misogynist sympathizing. We (they) better make sure you game is critically panned. Better not suck the blood of that woman, cause that's rape.