Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

ktchong

Was hoping Obsidian would get a crack at it, but with Mitsoda as lead this is the next best thing(or probably preferred even), besides Obsidian is tied to the Outer Worlds. Ditto with the setting. Seattle is no Southern Cali, but am happy it's being kept to the west coast. All in all, really couldn't ask for a better scenario for a sequel.

• Like 1

Yeah, I also don't like how they integrated the dlcs into the main game with Pillars of Eternity. That made the vanilla game feel like an incomplete experience.

PoE DLC is all obsidian. Paradix wasn't a traditional publisher there. A more paradox style dlc system was in Tyranny.
  • Like 1

I'm not too happy with Paradox but that mostly has to do with their "release now, fix later" policy.

That being said, I'm not against clans being added later as DLC. Playing a Nosferatu brought me back to the game a year or two after release, but after the three, back to back, initial playthroughs I was kinda burned out, so I wouldn't have done it immediately.

And the fantastic Clan Quest Mod made me re-install once again just last year -- I would have been very happy to pay for an official Sabbat clans add-on.

I guess it'll depend on how much content the DLC brings, but they tend to be good value for the money (at least for PDS games).

edit: hooray for random post de-formatting forum software

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Q1 2020 would be, what, anywhere from January to about April or May?

I believe the date was March.

Hopefully it's done by then and doesn't need to be pushed back.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Very excited about this. The trailer seems very action packed, but it wasn't action that made the first one great. It was the writing. The first game was like Yakuza: Zero in the sense that every little side quest was well-written and interesting. We'll have to see if they can recapture that magic.

And they better have funny speech patterns for the Malkavians again! And don't tell me funny speech comes in a DLC pack!

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

I must say, I am shocked that Bloodlines 2 already made it into bestsellers on steam. On one hand, it is because we are yet to see if there is anything to be excited about - all we got is CGI trailer and game is at least a year off, so whenever it will be good or not, or how it will play is anyone guess.

But I am mostly surprised as I didn't expect that the game had some many fans. I knew it had a cult following but I always considered it to be a bit of a niche title.

What's Avellone's role in this? Is he just writing or is he involved in any kind of design or leadership capacity?

He has a name that can go on the game's store page.

:lol:

The human stretch goal.

Seriously though does anyone know?

I hope it involves drawing more stick figure cartoons, those were the best. Probably writer/designer in some capacity though surely?

Edited by Serrano

I think it might also be a kneejerk reaction to show people want these games on Steam, not Epic.

Plus that cult game had 15 years gather fans.

it would be interesting to know how many people now actually own that game, i know it was debacle on release

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think Bloodlines has not only grown into a cult classic, but it also kinda "crosses over" a bit. 

1. Hardcore RPG fans will like it because Troika and that design mentality.

2. Vampire fans (both Masquerade fans as well as "general" vampire fans) will like it. And even among games with vampires, it still feels pretty unique with its heavy emphasis on modern urban living. It's also very "adult" which will make people interested.

3. While the FPS mechanics aren't exactly great, the first person perspective and action-y gameplay bring in some people that don't necessarily like isometric or third person type of RPGs.

4. It's been kept alive through modding as well as the fact that it keeps being brought up by people as well as gaming sites. And it's readily available now through Gog and STEAM.

But yeah, it is pretty crazy to think about still...

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

^ It's 1,2, and 4 for me as the played the first game entirely in 3rd person but I do also think TN is already probably right about it being on all platforms at launch at a time is also a factor.  The timing kind of worked out perfectly with all the Epic shenanigans going on. I'm sure 3 is also a huge factor for a lot of others though.

Regarding 2, I've been so starved for a vampire (lowercase as I'm not familiar with uppercase much outside of the previous games) RPGs that I nearly got that Vampyr game but the gameplay and camera were really offputting to me and I'd prefer modern urban fantasy/horror over pretty much anything else for such things. 

Question to those who are familiar with Vampire, how would we go from being a thinblood to some ultra-powerful vampire? Diablerie?

Free games updated 3/4/21

^ It's 1,2, and 4 for me as the played the first game entirely in 3rd person but I do also think TN is already probably right about it being on all platforms at launch at a time is also a factor.  The timing kind of worked out perfectly with all the Epic shenanigans going on. I'm sure 3 is also a huge factor for a lot of others though.

Regarding 2, I've been so starved for a vampire (lowercase as I'm not familiar with uppercase much outside of the previous games) RPGs that I nearly got that Vampyr game but the gameplay and camera were really offputting to me and I'd prefer modern urban fantasy/horror over pretty much anything else for such things. 

Question to those who are familiar with Vampire, how would we go from being a thinblood to some ultra-powerful vampire? Diablerie?

”Generally, the only way a vampire changes generation is through diablerie. When a Cainite diablerizes a vampire of lower generation their generation decreases by one or possibly more if the victim was particularly potent. There are other, much rarer, methods of changing generation, but they usually involve powerful sorcery and are closely guarded secrets.”

• Like 5

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Generally, you don't.

Diablerie is the obvious answer, but that not something to be done lightly. In PnP you can easily lose control of your PC -permanently- if you try it on elder vampires, and it's a huge no-no in vampire society. To do so as a Caitiff is more or less tantamount to suicide unless you have some seriously powerful "friends"... who would only be allowing you to go through with the deed because they need you for their own ends. Besides, you only lower your generation by one for each snack, so you'd have to be some kind of serial diablerist to go from thin-blood to, say, 7th gen or so. It's not something you can hide from either, because your aura is permanently damaged.

There's also a Tremere ritual (there's a ritual for just about anything) that allows temporarily lowering generation. The GM I played with especially hated this because it could, in theory, allow you to temporarily lower your gen to 3rd, meaning unlimited blood point expenditure per turn. But even if you could find someone who actually knows it, you'd have to persuade them to share the information. And that's kind of anathema for Tremere.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yea, I know. Im bellyaching because I cant play that perspective without getting nauseous. 

I always try, because there are some that I'm ok with.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

”Generally, the only way a vampire changes generation is through diablerie. When a Cainite diablerizes a vampire of lower generation their generation decreases by one or possibly more if the victim was particularly potent. There are other, much rarer, methods of changing generation, but they usually involve powerful sorcery and are closely guarded secrets.”

Nephie, you're alive!!!

...Also the game will suck....pun not intended.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif