What you did today?

Gorth

Start of old thread
End of old thread

So for the first time in decades, yes with an S, I just did pushups to see how many pushups I could do. It was not 40...it was 17.  :blush:  Just regular pushups at that.

you got a serious advantage over shady when it comes to improving push ups. takes real effort for shady to make gains, but since you has only done once in decades, your gains would/should come much faster.  

is always a bright side.

HA! Good Fun!

Heh, add me to the list of the "needy"... I used to go to a Gym, just for 2 hours twice a week, but dang, I can *feel* it, that it's been 6 months since I moved (and haven't rejoined a gym),

The curse of age. It's like the maintenance work just becomes more and more demanding

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have come to the conclusion I mostly suck at this farming thing. Oh it's not growing veggies. I've got that part down pat. It's the animal part. A few years back I bought a pair of male rabbits for the pot. They both died of old age and lived in a heated house with daily treats their whole time. About two years ago I bought chickens. One of them has grown into a fine black and red rooster I never named because he was destined for the dinner table. Well, he has taken a liking to me in a very un-rooster like fashion. He follows me all over the place when I'm working in the back yard. After I fed them and rounded them up last night and raided the laying boxes for eggs he was eating pumpkin seeds out of my hand. Well.... I think h's probably upgraded his future prospects. 

I don't know where the line between pet and livestock is but I always seem to find myself on the pet side of it. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Keep him. You can always buy chicken from the grocery store or go to KFC.

As for me, it's the 2nd day of Norouz here(Iranian New Year) and the weather is getting better and better. I went outside and fed the stray cats in the park, one of them was badly beaten by another cat last night. Oh well, such is life. There are so many stray cats on the streets of Tehran and it is both a phobia and a living nightmare for me. Seeing these things get hit by a car twice in the past 5 years has convinced me to stay home all the time.

I'm such a ****...

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I have come to the conclusion I mostly suck at this farming thing. Oh it's not growing veggies. I've got that part down pat. It's the animal part. A few years back I bought a pair of male rabbits for the pot. They both died of old age and lived in a heated house with daily treats their whole time. About two years ago I bought chickens. One of them has grown into a fine black and red rooster I never named because he was destined for the dinner table. Well, he has taken a liking to me in a very un-rooster like fashion. He follows me all over the place when I'm working in the back yard. After I fed them and rounded them up last night and raided the laying boxes for eggs he was eating pumpkin seeds out of my hand. Well.... I think h's probably upgraded his future prospects. 

I don't know where the line between pet and livestock is but I always seem to find myself on the pet side of it. 

don't give 'em names.  even if name is something you only use in your head to distinguish one critter from another, don't do it.  

mostly kidding.

were always a numbers issue for us.  one or two ________ may be individuals.  a dozen _________ has a less unique identity and also tends to require more group work.  feed two chickens takes almost same time and effort as feed a dozen, but you don't so much see each chicken when feeding the dozen.  feed the chickens v. feed attila the hen and cluck norris.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Have to go to dentist, then seeing ESB with the local orchestra playing the soundtrack live.

Also have to clean bathroom at some point today

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I play a board game with some cousins of mine call ROOT.

It is a strategy game where the end goal is to accumulate as many victories as possible and it is all different based on the group you choose. Mine where the cats who had to constantly build new workplaces, sawmills, and barracks. The two groups my cousins played were bird and mice one being extremely aggressive having to always get in a battle nearly every turn and the other being sneaky and causing civil unrest.

I am planning on playing it again with them in the future.

I spent a good chunk of the day typing up responses to various posts around this place and a few others before deciding it wasn't worth engaging.

Other than that I moved some furniture down into the basement and paid some bills. Also, looking into some side jobs as there's so much I want to get for the house but don't have the funds for.

Free games updated 3/4/21

--4k tv was suddenly going black for 1-2 seconds at random intervals, only when game played. Eventual solution: new heavy duty HDMI cable.

--4k tv was now screen tearing pretty badly if I shoved a video/youtube page onto it (didn't occur on main monitor or if I only displayed windows on tv vs. extend). Noticed main monitor was rated for 59hz, thought maybe it might be an issue (not matching 60hz of tv). I want a new monitor anyway.

--buy a new 1440 monitor today (nothing special) at Best Buy. At home realize it only has HDMI, no DP. The 2080ti has only a single HDMI port (taken up by TV) and 3 DP. Argh. Why can't nvidia do 2 and 2? Huh? Steal an adapter from hubster. Adapter only allows for 1080 display, so new monitor can't display 1440.

--Order a new HDMI to DP adapter.

--Wondering what will go wrong/weird next when I install that on Monday.

I swear this is what it's been like since I put this rig together. Bad cable, wrong cable, better cable, need adapter, bad cable, wrong cable, over and over! I'm cursed! :disguise:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

--4k tv was suddenly going black for 1-2 seconds at random intervals, only when game played. Eventual solution: new heavy duty HDMI cable.

I have been having the exact same issue with my 4K LG tv that has a PS4 and an Xbox One X connected to it. With the PS4 it would kind of make sense to have a faulty hdmi cable because I've had that thing since 2014 but the Xbone X is only a year old. I hope it is not the tv. :/

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Sometimes when I'm driving on the interstate I'll pass by a sign something like the following: "Drunk Driving Safety Corridor. Next 15 miles ABSOLUTELY NO TOLERANCE." I think to myself "Shouldn't everywhere be zero tolerance?

hmm-300x300.jpg

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have been having the exact same issue with my 4K LG tv that has a PS4 and an Xbox One X connected to it. With the PS4 it would kind of make sense to have a faulty hdmi cable because I've had that thing since 2014 but the Xbone X is only a year old. I hope it is not the tv. :/

I don't think this would be the issue for you but in my case I think the older cable I had just couldn't handle the extra bandwidth or something like that, that the new 2080rtx wanted to send out while gaming. Or it could at first, then it broke/weakened coincidentally? Dunno. I'd used the same cable to connect TV to the old Win7/980ti and play 30fps/4k with zero issues.

If I used Precision to lower the power target of the new GPU from 100 to 50 (so it wasn't sucking up 300w for gaming but only 125w), the black screen/signal drop would occur less or not at all. I don't profess to understand what "power target" entirely means (helps with/is related to OC'ing I think) but whatever it was, lowering it made the old cable not drop signal. The black screen moments wouldn't translate/show to a video recording (game was still running fine), it was only visible on TV itself. A new, $13 hdmi cable = it could handle the default 100 without dropping out. Whatever works. :)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just bought tickets for the Metallica concert in Melbourne later this year. Still 7 months away, but looking forward to it...

https://youtu.be/i9fxUlTMRz8

/headbang

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't think this would be the issue for you but in my case I think the older cable I had just couldn't handle the extra bandwidth or something like that, that the new 2080rtx wanted to send out while gaming. Or it could at first, then it broke/weakened coincidentally? Dunno. I'd used the same cable to connect TV to the old Win7/980ti and play 30fps/4k with zero issues.

If I used Precision to lower the power target of the new GPU from 100 to 50 (so it wasn't sucking up 300w for gaming but only 125w), the black screen/signal drop would occur less or not at all. I don't profess to understand what "power target" entirely means (helps with/is related to OC'ing I think) but whatever it was, lowering it made the old cable not drop signal. The black screen moments wouldn't translate/show to a video recording (game was still running fine), it was only visible on TV itself. A new, $13 hdmi cable = it could handle the default 100 without dropping out. Whatever works. :)

Well, lowering the power target would also lower the frequency of your GPU, and thus your framerate, lending credence to your theory.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Someone accused me of wearing "autism jeans" today. The heck does that mean?

That means you should eventually kill that person.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

got 2 of my 4 wisdom teeth extracted today. Now I know the meaning of painfully stupid.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Did they take out the top or bottom?

I had two removed in the Navy and they said the other two were growing in straight so they left them. They gave us 2 days of "light duty" and handed out pain killers like candy though.

Left side top and bottom, so I can chew on other side. Popping pills like candy too

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

You have my sympathy Chilloutman, I know that pain all to well.

Been playing Generation Zero this evening, I'm having a blast even while solo. Going to play with mates once they can afford it. Also once I get a new headset.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken