What you did today?

Gorth

woop, sorry Bruce, thank you for asking, how's your new place anyway ...

we were fortunate beyond what we deserve to be hired full-time for Building Services at the college ... a sea change for us who've never had benefits of any kind, suddenly inundated with terms like medical, vision, dental, sick time, personal time, holiday pay, even the r-word and something called AD&D, which was briefly mistaken for role-playing activities offered by HR --

today was my Friday, now that Wednesdays are the new Monday ... no more live-action Sunday football or golf ... comic book day will have to share tacos with Tuesdays

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:05 AM, Guard Dog said:

I retained a lawyer a few years ago to represent me in some recent real estate deals. One of those deals got me a letter from the IRS this week. So my lawyer tells me I need a different lawyer to deal with that. He was the one who advised me on capital gains deferment. No offense to Gromnir, Enoch, & Nep but dammit Shakespeare was right!

no offense taken.

"the first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." --henry vi, part ii, act iv, scene ii. 

uttered by **** the butcher, a follower o' jack cade who is trying to grab the crown by creating widespread civil unrest. am sympathizing with gd's plight, but this is one o' those common misquoted bits from the bard. villains, trying to create panic and chaos, believe initial step is killing attorneys.

is not difficult to find lawyer criticism in literature. unfortunate, the most frequent example is... not.

again, you got our sympathy. bad advice from lawyers and doctors and accountants may be devastating.  capital gains deferment, particular in the case o' a divorce, can be unnecessarily complex. heck, in a capital gains divorce situation, if a friend or acquaintance asked our advice, we would tell'em to speak to an attorney who is not Gromnir.

hope it turns out okie dokie. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It will be. I'll be writing them a check... and it won't be for the amount they say. But it will be something. The funny thing is when I read their "tax adjustment proposal" I got sick to my stomach. Then I realized they did not include any of my deductions, just gave me the single standard deduction. Once you add in my itemized deductions it's not as bad. Still a crooked number four places west of the decimal... but not as bad. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got 800$ back on my taxes. Then again, it was 800$ of the 2500$ of the fuel tax I pay... Asswipes.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got yelled at by the Union boss for sending too much photographic evidence to him and filling his inbox with one single email. 

Not a complaint really, I kind of feel good about that ^^

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Heh. My parents brought me two toy drones in a Star Wars design today. They figured I'd like them and when they told me about it I was looking forward to buzzing around a bit. They also got theam really cheap on a sale so I didn't expect much.

Certainly not the two wax sealed limited edition drones I have now and can't play with because who opens limited editions. Seriously. Time to go out and grab some more for the actual fun part. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

In-laws arrive tonight to meet their grandson

This is going to be interesting as they are a lot more free with their opinions than the family that was here last week. I'll be fine (thanks to thick skin, alcohol, and the language barrier) but I worry for my wife's sanity or what's left of it anyway.

Happy Juneteenth!

Edited by ShadySands
nearly forgot the day
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I went to the ER. The meds they put me on cleared up the pain from the kidney stone right away. The pain hasn't even returned yet.

I'm the last person in my family to join the club. My dad's was as big as a thumbnail according to him.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i lost connection to the internet 2 days ago and i called the isp to ask what was up. they told me that the line seems fine on their end so its probably a problem with the wiring or the router, so i went into troubleshooting mode cutting wires here and there to find where the problem was. in the end i found nothing and thought it was the router, so i called again to ask for a replacement. the second guy i talked to said that it was not a wiring issue but the thunderstorm had caused damage to the lines in my town. 5 hours wasted trying to solve a problem that did not exist and i had to buy 20 euros worth of wires to replace those i cut in search of the problem. i'm hopping for a call now to ask me to rate the service of their customer support so i can give them a very round 0

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:50 AM, Gfted1 said:

100% of my gaming is done on mobile now but I still use a PC daily for work and surfing.

I think I'll get bored of most mobile gaming styles before a year is up. If you just use the touch-screen, only so much you can stand of tapping and sliding and I'm not getting any peripherals for the tablet. I do like the idle-ish/tycoon or hero type games. I'm definitely not the candy-crush or toon-blast type of gamer. 

Edit: side story - I looked for a word-search game app. Most seemed to let you do one puzzle then force to watch an ad or whatever. I became irritated and went to the bookstore and bought a giant PAPER book of 500 word search puzzles. Some things are still just plain better non-digital.

EditEdit: Seemingly, accidentally hitting cntrl+enter publishes a post and zips you back to the top of the page. >.> Oh well, the rest of the post was going to be totally off-topic from this so I think I'll double-post.  Pfft.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you don't hear from me for months or more or something, you'll know where I went.  :aiee:

yardwork01.jpg

• Haha 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Should have played Fortnite for 4 hours and collect 1 million $ instead, like the whoever-it-is guy did.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

SSD with all my games just upped and died. More annoyed that I lost my FM2018 save than anything else.  But having to redownload stuff like WoW, D3, Overwatch...oyy..

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Told the bosses in stockholm, either give me my vacation days as money or I quit. If I quit, they either have to let me go at once, with no replacement (I'm currently the only traffic organizer here, besides that I can do yard jockey work and I train new yard jockeys) or they have to keep me until they can find a replacement(Good luck with that) for me and give me my money.

disaster-girl.jpg

• Like 3

Today I learned that male bears are called boars and females are called sows. Thank you funny things thread. 

When I was a young warthog, on a rare trip with my extended family up in the mountains around Pinetop-Lakeside, I once had a crazy bear encounter. I like to tell the story as if the bear chased us and we outran it but the truth is that we heard something that we thought sounded like a bear and then we ran in the opposite direction knowing deep down that we didn't have to outrun the bear and we only had to not be the slow one. I kinda feel bad for my youngest cousin (only by a couple of years) because he was crying as we all passed him but thinking back I remember that they all took off running before and without me so who's the real bad guy. 

Almost as soon as I reached the head of the pack a gunshot or something like it rang out ahead of us. We stopped and looked at each other, young(er) cousin still way in the back, then all bolted off to the right of the direction we had been running. We really didn't have much choice because it's not like we wanted to go back towards the maybe but probably very likely a bear.Anyways, the right seemed and was the correct direction to go as it wasn't who knows how much later that we'd made our way back "home" to what could generously be described as a cabin.

And our bear bait slowpoke cousin arrived a good minute or so later still crying but generally uneaten and gunshot. I think we got into some serious trouble that day, my friends, and I don't think anyone believed our story until the next day when we'd heard that someone had shot at (or possibly just saw) a bear in the woods somewhere around where we were.

I'm pretty sure I've shared that one before

Edited by ShadySands
Man, I don't know what's going on with formatting. BBC code mode you are missed dearly
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Today I learned that male bears are called boars and females are called sows. Thank you funny things thread. 

hmmm. for some reason am feeling embarrassed.

aw, what the hell... will indulge our inner cliff clavin. 

a group o' pigs is a sounder, but a group o' bears is a sloth. always thought that were odd.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It occurred to me that I need to learn to code, then make a game with True Perma-Death 💀: when your character dies, the game will automatically uninstall itself and delete itself from your Steam/GOG/Epic(😱) account, forcing you to repurchase if you want to try again.

I will have a small dedicated army of fanbois who will defend this practice and call people who disagree names. I have not yet decided what names, but I am considering Jason, Kevin, Tim, Mandisa... I am open to suggestions.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).