What you did today?

Gorth

i REALLY need to get a ryzen 3000 (when available) and a new mobo. my current combo has some sensor problem and throttles like crazy thinking the temperature is too high. i could even believe what the sensor indicated if it was something like 90C (even if it's quite impossible with the cooler i have) but it certainly did not reach 1200C as the sensor indicates

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Leaving tomorrow morning for Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park in MO for five days of camping and fishing and watching Sunny & Bella's high jinks. See y'all when I get back!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 5/29/2019 at 9:55 AM, TrueNeutral said:

Having made many friends through therapy and support groups, sometimes life can get a little weird. For example, this text conversation:

Her: Hey, I'm in town this week if you want to hang out!

Me: Cool, where are you staying?

Her: The psych ward, I'm on suicide watch.

have had similar conversations, but it were admitted metaphorical for when we gotta go home and visit family. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i hate the internet in my country

i have a 50mbps VDSL and there are 4 boxes in a 500m radius around my house but they connected my line to a box at over 2km so i get under 20mbps speed instead of 40+. i told them about it over a month ago and nothing. and now, for the last few days the speed dropped to 10 so i have to call again tomorrow. and i can't change ISP because this is the only one who has a line where i live.

this situation is the only reason that makes me consider my uncle's offer to move to Germany

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I went to a really good seafood restaurant today called Panama Jacks, its based on the harbor and offers views of the ships coming in and general bay area

https://panama-jacks.com/

The weather was perfect today in Cape Town, sunny with  pristine sky. I shared a seafood latter with a friend and then went out for late afternoon drinks and early dinner with a lady friend I met on Tuesday evening  so it was a great, social and entertaining day 🍷

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My parents bought a new TV, I helped them set it up. Netflix, Prime Video, the works.

When did setting up a new TV (and monitors, for that matter) become it's own science, and why in the everflazing buck do all companies do their damndest to make the default settings a terrible mess you have to sort through for half an eternity to get the best image quality out of your hardware? I mean, what's the point of being able to stream 4k content when its reduced to looking like a daytime soap opera due to motion smoothing(tm)?

Honestly companies, I know we're being inclusive in this day and age and I fully support that, but maybe don't hire blind people to QA your screens? Please?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

https://www.erinvale.com/

Tomorrow Im going to this golf and wine estate for a work conference, its looks amazing. I loved Jhb but we just simply didnt have places quite like  this for our business meetings. The food should be excellent ....and I really love good food 🍷

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I cleaned out the camper, had a few drinks and ordered some books on my Kindle and a few "real" ones too.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I also worked on my camper. The door handle had been damaged, so I replaced that. One of the awning arms also got pushed in. The RV is just a big plywood box, so I pulled it out, put in some wood filler, then put a piece of sheet metal over it. Then I drilled some holes are reattached the arm. It was all a bit tricky, and made me miss my father-in-law's advice. He passed away over the winter, and was basically my mentor when it came to any mechanical work. I used his tools, so hopefully I didn't embarrass him.

He passed away partially due to diabetes complications, so I am participating in a Diabetes fundraiser ride in a few weeks. Here is the link, if anyone is interested in contributing. I'd appreciate it: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px=15363308&pg=personal&fr_id=12752

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Did I mention I am escaping from Alcatraz on Sunday? 

well, good luck.

during university we would surf near half moon bay, and as much as we hated the cold, and the possibility o' getting dead by waves, it were the sharks which scared us. have had more than one shark related nightmare over the years after a few close calls with sharks in nor cal waters.

am sure you will be fine though.

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Did I mention I am escaping from Alcatraz on Sunday? 

Give 'em hell!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

great whites is mostly an issue in sf coastal waters in the autumn, so you should be fine. 

should be...

HA! Good Fun!

I came back to visit the Obsidz board for a change... I’ll try to come back a bit more, maybe. Haven’t done much gaming in the past couple of years. Started working out seriously and painting miniatures (mostly Necromunda). I find it’s a lotmore efficient as stress relief.

Really busy in real life these days. Can’t pretty much say what I do in any detail  I could accidentally dox myself for the Finns. Litigation with a lot of high profile cases, probably at the top of my career.

• Like 6

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

my internal conflict between my desire for money and my hate for work has intensified to the point that it makes me feel depressed. if only i could win the lottery so i can maintain my current lifestyle without spending most of my day doing something i hate but i'm not lucky enough for this... after all, if i were lucky i'd have been born in a rich family to begin with.

• Like 1

-Teknoman2-

^Amen brother. Sometimes I float the idea to my wife to sell all of our possessions and cash out our retirement plans and go live on some inexpensive island somewhere. Then she always calls my bluff and says "okay, lets go" and Im all like "what about medical / dental insurance" and then I go to work. :lol:

• Like 1

Work is becoming more Initech like, so I lose my will to live around 9:30 now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I spend 3 hours cutting out letters and gluing them together to form my first blackmail letter.

I live next to the national theater, and they rehearse for a special showing of the Oresteia.

So I send them a letter saying:

Orestes,
I know you plan to kill Clytemnestra and Aegisthus.
If you don't want police and the Erinyes to know, leave tickets to the show by the gate to the theatre's yard.
A neighbor

I'll keep an eye out for any tickets. Maybe they have a sense of humour to match mine :)

The actual letter is in Greek, but I'll provide a photo anyway :)

4BUiUUk.jpg

Edited by melkathi
added image
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Got the great honour of working 5 hours overtime since my boss gave two yard jockeys vacation at the same time without checking for a replacement first, so today I've been a yard jockey/dispatcher/gateguard while teaching two new people the art of driving backwards with trailers.

Terrible timing though since today I recieved a visit from a Canadian relative, didn't get more than a couple of hours to speak to her today. :(

Got to love well organized vacationplanning...

Good luck on Sunday Hurlshot! :)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That which has no life can never die.

Still though, it's amazing how a simple 30 minute meeting just messes my work flow up for the entire morning.  Yay for people jamming Agile into things it doesn't belong in.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

wasn't today, exactly -- and while we don't feel smarter or less certain imposter syndrome won't take effect, we did make small gains in maturity, wisdom and gratitude surviving a trio of committee interviews for a non-instruction position at a local college ... turns out a stable job that offers retirement is an instant cure for anxious emotional dithering

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Today Im having a braai\barbeque with an old girlfriend who I  haven't seen since I moved to Cpt,  I am making my famous " BruceVC Potato Bake " and we planning on loads of drinking and laughs

Tomorrow I have a late lunch with family and I am studying new software features around products I need to learn for the company I have joined in Cpt. So its looking like a good weekend overall 🎇

John Milton 

after swearing like a port worker i finally finished Dark Souls 3. my biggest problem with it was the input lag that was not present in the other 2 games. just thinking about how many times i died to an easily avoidable attack because the game decided to ignore my pressing of the dodge button infuriates me to no end.

now to decide what i'm gonna play next

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-