What you did today?

Gorth

35 minutes ago, melkathi said:

What will be awesome when all you people's kids take over this forum one day. And we have little-hurlshot and tiny-hurlshot and tiny-trueneutral and tinyshadysands talking about random vidgy game news.

And the BIS reunion thread will be the kids of old Black Isle forum posters.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Was planning to start my first, really lengthy print - The back half of my Sith Facemask, so it would become a full helmet piece for London. So, since it would take between 2-3 odd days to print... I set up a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint, linked it to the printer and attached a webcam.

Now as the day goes on I can use my phone to check on how it's doing, and in case of emergency hit the pause or stop to cancel the print and not waste anything. Or at least, reduce any wastage if I see it go horrendously wrong.

Finally, putting to use that Internet of Things unit I took at university.

Edit: Dang. Around 36 hours into what should be around a 45 hour print.. I hear a crash, and find the model had torn loose from the baseplate and was somehow on the floor, with the printer printing strings in the air.....

Leaving me with just this:

image.thumb.png.73d19822dab782ddd87dd2824539aebe.png

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I finished Ironman Santa Rosa. Bib #1570 if you want to see the results. It took 15 hours and 7 minutes. I started this whole triathlon thing because I wanted to see what my physical limits were, and I found them. It was humbling.

The swim was fine. I got cold at one point, but I only had mild thoughts of quitting. The bike was hard after around mile 50. I just kept trying to get to the next 5-mile segment. It took me an hour longer than I hoped, and I was really uncomfortable by mile 112. I never want to sit on my bike again. I also burned badly, so that was bad planning.

The run was pure misery. I walked a lot of the miles. Every once in awhile I'd find someone to jog and talk to, which helped. It was a 3 lap loop, and when I saw my wife after lap 2 I totally broke down crying. I walked for awhile with a blanket (since it was now nightime), ate some chicken broth, vomitted up the chicken broth, then just tried to stumble forward. 

Oddly enough, with 2 miles to go, I was able to start running and ditched the blanket. I finished on a nice jog, but it was still about a 6 hour marathon. That was so hard. At least I finished. It was not a sure thing.

• Like 8

coulda' quit anytime during months of training. coulda' quit during the swim. coulda' quit during bike. each time you coulda' quit but didn't, am gonna call that a win. 

may not feel like an invictus moment today, but if had gone easy, is doubtful you would remember the experience as deep as this one is gonna stick with you. tough to appreciate what you won for yourself today. don't need to appreciate it today.

congratulations and for what little it is worth, know you have Gromnir's respect... at least for today.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
spelling foible
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Congratulations on finishing, it's more than I could've ever achieved so, you've definetly earned my respect. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I am busy moving into my new apartment in Cpt, its in the heart of the city and very convenient. Its basically fully furnished but I need to buy many small but critical items like cooking utensils, extra towels and bedding and of course food. I have also been familiarizing myself with the suburbs and learning how to navigate the various routes and roads 

After one of my brothers birthdays on Saturday I went out and met some really friendly  and ebullient  Germans who are on work contracts, I spent the night drinking with them and stayed at there place so I didnt have to drive home drunk, I have there contact details and we plan to go hiking up Table mountain in the next week or 2 ⛰️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ahhh, such an exhausting day. We had to install uPVC windows in the balcony and my bedroom. Replacing the old window in my bedroom with the new one turned out to be a real hassle. By 6 pm, my room was filled with metal debris/dust. I just threw all of my sheets in the washing machine afterwards and boy am I glad that I decided to cover the TV and my gaming consoles before the whole thing started.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I slept well for the first time in several days, despite the fact that I did not sleep longer than usual. It seems to me that I have discovered a way to feel good after waking up. Tonight I will test this way again. 30 minutes before falling asleep, I take a small tablet with magnesium. Next to the bed I put a glass with water and aloe. I set the alarm clock for 3 hours after the first falling asleep, I wake up, I go to the toilet, I drink a lot of mineral water, I go to sleep again. When I wake up again (without an alarm clock), I drink water with aloe and go to sleep further.

My head did not hurt, I do not even know when I started to work and it took me a moment to realize "Hey, I'm doing my job well and I'm fine." For me, to sleep well is the most important part of the day. Is I going to sleep well or not define my whole day.
Life is beautiful when you feel like you are 21 again.

• Like 3

Runescape and OSRS Old School Runescape gold for everyone who want to buy Runescape gold https://odealo.com/games/runescape/gold

Repositioned that mask to re-print it out. Which for various reasons (it needed more supports in that position) turned it into a 70 hour print.

Did end up with this:

MaskBackOnPrinter.jpg.e08e4c5e92c94442e6d721585b6e7369.jpg

Had a couple of layer shifts towards the end, but it does add a certain interesting pattern to the effect:

MaskBack1.jpg.db70d731cdde1bd9d4f1cca7c2ac8511.jpg

MaskBack2.jpg.9a85c3d4a2b63a8070d1e3036fea4aa9.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 7:12 AM, BruceVC said:

Its basically fully furnished but I need to buy many small but critical items like cooking utensils, extra towels and bedding and of course food.

Its amazing how much all those small things can add up to. The super cheap walmart cotton bedsheets I tossed up as curtains are still on the windows. I'll spend loads on tech and toys but refuse to buy real curtains. :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

19 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Its amazing how much all those small things can add up to. The super cheap walmart cotton bedsheets I tossed up as curtains are still on the windows. I'll spend loads on tech and toys but refuse to buy real curtains. :lol:

It very true how the small things add up and how many you need if you dont have any, I am now keeping a list so I can  stop missing some items when I can shopping 🛒🛒

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

i changed the thermal paste of my graphics card today. it's 3 years that it worked on the stock paste that was completely dried out by now and it was hitting 82C with the fans at 100%. i put in some TG kryonaut and now it runs at 68C with the fans at 40%. the paste is 7 euro/gram but its worth every cent

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Pondering on the job future.

The Project Head, a consultant brought in to run this thing, seems overly focused on the High level view, with absolutely no understanding of the lower level and what it actually entails. He keeps making the asusmption that it's all "we just grab x and y and they'll fit together perfectly" and thus, making plans and estimates for like, 2 weeks work. Work that we keep telling him is actually about 3 months mapping before we even talk about cleansing. But he keeps just referring to us as "the cleansing team" in emails, and we have no idea what he thinks we actually do, or what the system provider and integrators will be doing.

Of course, that's another thing. Going by the project plan they were meant to have signed all the contracts and started a month ago. But.. no. Still in discussions, and going back to the Project board to increase the budget to get the contracts signed.

This does make one wonder just how things will shake out....

• Like 1

I'm pretty well recovered from my Ironman. The sunburn is still bad, but I'm feeling good and should be up for some activity this weekend. It's funny, but about halfway through that race and well into the next day or two, I was thinking there is no way I would do another one of those. But now that I've had a few days to look at my time and think about my performance, I know I could do better and think I should try it again in a couple years. 

I don't have too much downtime though, as I'm doing the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon on June 9th. We jump off the boat and swim across the bay, then bike and run in San Francisco. I'm feeling good about it, it is a much shorter event. The craziest part is the swim, which is 1.5 miles and will be cold. I need to go get a training swim in the ocean before then, but I feel ready fitness wise.

• Like 5

Thinking about getting a new truck.  Mine is 8 years old and has 244k miles. I'm starting to have problems with it. Looking at a Toyota Tundra, GMC Sierra or another Ford F150. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I don't have too much downtime though, as I'm doing the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon on June 9th. We jump off the boat and swim across the bay, then bike and run in San Francisco. I'm feeling good about it, it is a much shorter event. The craziest part is the swim, which is 1.5 miles and will be cold. I need to go get a training swim in the ocean before then, but I feel ready fitness wise.

They should do that right. You should have to escape from a cell, build a raft, swim the bay then disappear for 50 years while US Marshals hunt for you!

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, not looking forward to that part. $35k over 60 months, probably looking at $600 a month give or take. 

Thomas Sowell

spent abnormal amounts o' time at our pc... looking for potential replacement parts to be building a new pc. we were gonna wait 'til black friday, but with the trade war looming, am suspecting is better to get some o' our tech purchases in before new pricing kicks into effect.

last year, when looked like rockport were going under, we bought multiple pairs o' hiking and walking shoes, so at least we got casual/athletic footwear covered.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

If youre going to continue to average 30k miles / year, you should get something cheap because its going to be worthless after 4 years anyway. 

Most of the mileage I racked up when I was running my own company. I spent a lot of time on the road and driving was just more economical. It hasn't been so bad since. But the big thing I need is towing capacity. And the Sierra is definitely the best at it's price.  

Thomas Sowell