What you did today?

Gorth

Tomorrow morning I am driving to Cape Town from Durban  to start the next exciting chapter in my life, the drive is about 1000 Miles and we drive through numerous provinces with spectacular scenery. Take a look at this one mountain pass we may drive through on route 

https://princealbert.org.za/swartberg-pass/

We will do the drive in 2 days and typically spend 1 night in one of the numerous quaint Karoo towns, the Karoo is a semi-desert that also has great views and unspoiled landscape 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoo

This is where we will probably stay tomorrow night 

https://beaufortwest.net/

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Out and about at the Portsmouth Comic-Con. It's only it's second year, but it seems to be doing well and it was on May the 4th, so lots of Star Wars.

General practice run before trying London Comic-Con in a few weeks with a few tweaks and tidyups now that I know how this works...

59422400_10157346239470746_2060751735554572288_n.jpg

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yesterday I jumped on the bike and did my last long ride before the Ironman. It was 71.64 miles and it took me 4 hours and 24 minutes. That's an average of 16.3 mph. At that rate it will take me a little less than 7 hours to complete the bike leg. I did do quite a bit of climbing, with 3800 feet total and a couple very steep sections. The Ironman is 112 miles, but it will be 3900 feet climbing total, which means it is more spread out, so hopefully I can keep a faster pace. It's crazy how much time can be gained or lost by 1 or 2 mph difference. 

I started getting a headache around mile 60. I was on my second bottle of water, so I probably just need to be better about drinking, but I was also struggling with my nutrition. I brought a peanut butter and honey sandwich and that was great. I ate chunks of it and was done by mile 50, so I need to pack a second. I also brought a Clif bar and Clif energy bloks. The energy blocks seemed to make the headache worse. The clif bar was alright, but I always have trouble eating the entire bar. I think I might bring a caffeine version of one of those to give me a bit of a kick, but I'm still worried about digestive issues. I have a pretty sensitive stomach. I also might swap a water bottle out for a vitamin water or gatorade. Right now I am using alkaline water with electrolytes, but it doesn't have the same kick as a sports drink. 

My butt was sore, but I don't think there is any way around that. I was still getting out of the saddle and feeling good in the legs, so that's nice, but it's crazy to think I need another 40 miles next weekend. I threw on my running gear and ran 20 minutes, or 2.5 miles, after the bike. Crazy, but the headache went away and I felt great. Well, I felt good. It was hard but I was holding a good pace and felt physically better than your would expect after the long ride. So I've got that to look forward to. 

So yeah, I think this is going to be hard. But I'm excited, and I'm going to try and just enjoy it. 🏊‍♂️ 🚵‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️ 🤮

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Is that the lightsaber you printed?

It was indeed.

So, going from initial print (of this version):

To having sanded the pieces, and whipped up some brass buttons and aluminium collars -

Then doing the whole primer-filler thing with it -

To final paint and assemble -

Saber1.jpg

Saber2_Sanded.jpg

Saber3_Primer.jpg

Saber_Finished.jpg

• Like 4

It took a few attempts to get there.

My initial try was actually about 12 different pieces, which I thought would make it easier to paint them seperately and then put it all together. But somehow I kept getting the scale just slightly out on the software I designed it on.

Not putting in enough tolerances mostly.

So I ended up just combining them together in the software and printing them out in those 4 pieces in the last week, which only left me time to do one paint, and not have enough time left for it to harden enough so I could mask off sections and add a different colour to some areas.

Still, we live, we learn. :)

Edited by Raithe

saturday were the first day o' our retirement. no excuses, but our dogs didn't get the memo. for weeks we have stressed to the four pooches how saturday were gonna be retirement day, and we were intending to fully indulge our sloth for at least a weekend. no such luck. turkeys (literal, not metaphorical or figurative) got in the backyard on saturday and the dogs went ape$&%#... at 5:30 am. so we fed 'em 30 minutes earlier than normal and then took 'em for a walk. fixed irrigation lines and then began addressing some dry rot in anticipation o' the house getting a new paint job within the next couple weeks. took the older dogs for their second walk o' the day (15 and 16... the vet says multiple shorter walks is best for their arthritis) and by then it were time to pull our fully cooked pulled pork for dinner.  after dinner we caught up on a couple correspondence we have been avoiding.  before we knew it, were 11:30pm.

sunday has gone similar to saturday, save for the absence o' turkey, so we were able to sleep in 'til 6:00am.

retirement weekends, so far, doesn't feel much different than any other weekend.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Congratulations Gromnir! That you can do it while young enough to enjoy it is a real testament tot smart financial planning. Well done sir!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Using the remainder of the bank holiday weekend to test out some of those settings and see what needs tweaking..

CatInABox.thumb.jpg.383f59057510a3e3dda4b37a7a2ff298.jpg

15 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Congrats Gromnir!

I've been getting very little sleep with a new puppy in the house

Post some photos, I love puppies and dogs 🐶

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Post some photos, I love puppies and dogs 🐶

as wacky as it sounds, we do not current have pictures o' the two little dogs. the minidogs managed to get out o' the yard a week or so ago (rascals dug underneath the chicken wire we have 'round the perimeter fence) and a neighbor o' ours who kinda coordinates a lost pet social media  presence for the community asked us to send her pictures o' the pups. realized we didn't have any.

dogs were only loose for 'bout 45 minutes and 'ccording to the folks 'cross the street, the little scaredy cats never strayed more than a dozen feet from our yard once they got loose, but we should get pictures in case they get loose for reals.

will come up with something in the next day or so... now that we got loads o' time on our hands.

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Congratulations Gromnir! That you can do it while young enough to enjoy it is a real testament tot smart financial planning. Well done sir!

thanks, but am not sure how much credit we deserve for smartness. we started extreme early with the ira and 'tween ages 25 and 35 we lived like a dirty hermit to make every penny go a bit further. were only possible 'cause o' lack o' a family. 

am also knowing that if by some unforeseeable set o' circumstances we lost our health insurance, we could be complete f'd. almost makes a guy think 'bout voting democrat.

also, as a newly retired person, am gonna go to dmv on thursday morning... 'cause we can. tried to make a dmv appointment and is literal a 3 month wait for any area office. so, am gonna show up before doors open on thursday and then wait, 'cause we have nothing better to do on thursday. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Discovered you can purchase GooglePlay funds through Amazon, instant email delivery.

Uh oh....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sort of laughing at my team meetings where the manager lady asks everyone for one positive item for the day, but doesn't ask me that.  I guess she senses it's a lost cause 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i was doing my taxes. fortunately its quite easy. after i let an accountant do it the first time, i looked at the papers and decoded what goes where and why and then i started doing it myself (the whole thing is done online and most entries are filled in automatically by referencing bank account movements so there is little i have to add)

and this is the funny part: out of all my family i have the lowest income since i was unemployed for most of 2018 and yet i'm the only one who has to pay taxes. all the previous years that i had an income my tax was 0 and now that my income is almost 0 i have to pay

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

42 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sort of laughing at my team meetings where the manager lady asks everyone for one positive item for the day, but doesn't ask me that.  I guess she senses it's a lost cause 😄

Cynicism is undervalued IMO. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Nah is over valued, at least these days.  Henry Rollins was on to something when he called it intellectual cowardice.  I'd rather say it's laziness, though, will give people the benefit of the doubt.  But positive stuff for me would be something like I got to use my new aftershave today or something that'd make me sound like a weirdo or that I was trying to be snarky :p 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra