What you did today?

Gorth

Thanks everyone but it was the least I could do. Someday, hopefully long from now I will leave this life and quite probably leave a dog or two behind.  I've made the best arrangements I can for them but it would be of tremendous comfort knowing someone stepped up. John was a good man. He served as a Marine in Vietnam. But more than that he was a friend and so is Bela. What wouldn't we do for our friends?

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ironman is less than two weeks aways, and I'm stressing out about tapering. I was out of town this last weekend and didn't get in any long training sessions. I feel like my fitness level is pretty solid, but I'm still worried about the long ride and managing my nutrition. I'd done a bunch of 3-4 hour training sessions, but I'm worried that isn't enough. Most plans call for backing off at this point so the body is rested, but I'd really like to try and put in 5 hours on the bike this weekend. That way I can practice nutrition and get a feel for how being on the bike that long will be. Maybe it is a bad choice, I'm not sure. I also want to get in a two hour run this week, hopefully at race pace, and I need to try and eat during it as well.

Basically I'm worried more about food than the exercise.

• Like 2

I'm working from home this week to keep an eye on Bela. This morning I was sitting on the back porch enjoying the cool morning and hot coffee and got to see Bela & Sunny playing a little bit. They were chasing each other through the tall grass (that I REALLY need to mow)  by the treeline. I must of had something  in my eyes watching that. She seemed happy. Sunny, well, she is always happy. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Have to fill out some creepy motivational survey at work, puzzled why they frame "I do this for the money" as a bad thing in the results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Have to fill out some creepy motivational survey at work, puzzled why they frame "I do this for the money" as a bad thing in the results.

This may sound like it has a malicious intent but the reason companies ask these types of questions is because they want to see loyalty in the sense " you not working just for money "...which is actually a primary reason people work, financial remuneration is an important factor. You just shouldnt always position the reason you work in a company in that way  

Its similar to getting a salary increase, the best way to demonstrate you should be earning more is you need to find a way to calculate your contribution towards the overall target. Typically you should contribute 150-170 % (or more ) than your salary to be seen as a " good employee who the company wouldn't want to lose"   , so for example lets say you earn $8000/month then if you can show you earn for the company $12000-13600/month  management would be hard pressed to deny you a good increase or bonus

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For work, my theme song is

Huh, didn't realize this was actually a cover of a rap song.

This song is a revamp of fellow Texan DJ DMD's 1989 rap hit "25 Lighters," which is Houston ghetto slang for taking Bic Lighters apart, removing the innards and filling them with crack. Billy Gibbons explained to

MusicRadar.com how the veteran rockers ended up reworking a hip-hop tune: "25 Lighters was a hip-hop chart topper 15 years ago, and it just so happened to be one of the tracks that our engineer, Mr. Gary Moon, was around for when he served as chief engineer at John Moranz Digital Services," he explained. "That house specialized in rap and hip-hop clients.

Finally understand what's with the 25 lighters, as well.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Maybe because they can't believe you do what you do for what they are paying you!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

Spend some time lounging in the sun, reading, watching birds and ants and butterflies, and listening to random tourists trampling past.

57407289_10157464160504236_1631809331613

57233968_10157464021604236_4483699665203

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Athens has a few hills right in the city centre, so I can escape into nature without ever leaving the city or going farther than 30 minutes from my apartment. Since I explored a bit and ignored my local friends, my quality of life increased tenfold :)

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Family deciding to get two new dachshunds in July.  We need to think up names, so that is a fun and somewhat difficult exercise.   Maybe JC and Paul.

• Like 1

Yeah think so.  Those names are just from Deus Ex  😛  I could repeatedly say "My weiner is augmented", that way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Family deciding to get two new dachshunds in July.  We need to think up names, so that is a fun and somewhat difficult exercise.   Maybe JC and Paul.

Heh, dad's dog is called JC. :p

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

two dachshunds? suggest the following: shut and up

with two dachshunds (no doubt heavy on the hund) am suspecting you will be saying "shut up," at least in your head, with oppressive frequency.  might as well get mileage outta the names, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Winter: jerky

Summer: ice cream

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tapering seems to be working. After a pretty mellow week of training, I had a super swim session this morning. Everything just felt good. I'm not a fast swimmer, but every once in awhile I get into a rhythm where you feel like you are almost flying through the water. It's a nice change from the typical feeling of trying not to sink to the bottom. Hopefully that means I'm ready for the swim. 🏊‍♂️ 

Hey, new emojis! 

• Like 1

Grits teeth, gets around to installing the Win10 May update (plus nvidia update to go with it). Afterwards - the TV flicker I kept having while playing YT videos, from hardware acceleration in browser, is gone, my graphic editor program seems back to being smoother/less stuttery since from the last smaller Win. updates, etc. Hm. Quick! "Delay updates for max time."

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hubby brought me another freebie from his work client - a Galaxy Tab-A 10.5" tablet. After setting it up ... it's definitely nice re: watching videos or viewing images/manga, or viewing webpages like this updated forum with the big-spacing styling, vs. the smaller cellphone/mini-tablet. But it's a little large for holding in one's hand, and a little small to lay on a lap and (with aging eyes) read web pages from that distance. Plus the lap method always gives me a neck crick.  I'd probably like a  8" or something like that better.

At least the tablet lets me uninstall a lot of the fluff I have zero need for vs. only disabling it on the phone.

Edit: also, it's 3am, I woke up/am awake and am now bored. >.>

Edited by LadyCrimson

Huh, if you hover your cursor over the thread title you can preview the first or last post. Awesome! Im glad that's back.

My wife and I got liquored up last night at our neighbor three doors down birthday party. Shes still asleep and I have a pounding headache. Stupid shots....