What you did today?

Gorth

Talk to LC, her husbad has a home 3D printer.

Pffft, like I know anything. ;)

All I know is every time I go out into the garage there's a new test doodad on the worktable.

yodaprint-03.jpg

I only know he started with a very cheap "kit" then once he knew what was what, he started buying separate parts that combined with printing some of the supporting parts, he built his own. I guess. That's what he says anyway.  That's the way he is (takes apart a phone then remakes it, type) (the blue parts are what he printed)

yodaprint-05.jpg

The main limiter with most of these home 3d printers that I've seen (whether $300 or $3000) is build size, which seems to run between 5 inches and 8 inches (height, width). The hot end can only go so high up the rails with most of these designs. So no 5 foot tall Yoda.

Edit: the thing hubby struggles with the most is how smooth the print ends up - there's always this one line or two that looks funny. Calibration stuff. You could smooth it out after of course but he wants perfection I suppose.

Edit Edit: Hubby just woke up - he says the three main issues with build size are stability of the rails (taller they are), keeping the print platform hot the (bigger it is...) and weight bowing of the horizontal bar (longer it is). One company made a $500 one that's fairly large (not necessarily super-pro quality printing but if size matters...) and of course you can make your own. Which hubby says he's been thinking of doing. So one day I'm going to go into the garage and find a printer taking up half the room, right?

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gracias for the info LC. ;)

I've been dabbling with the 3D modelling and CAD work lately, was curious what it would be like to 3d print it, got a quote from some of the local companies that do that sort of prototyping for folks, but yeesh, they wanted basically $300 for doing that once.  For that sort of money I can pay a little extra and get my own printer and run off all the copies I want to experiment with. Which is part of my interest in getting into it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hubby's not a CAD expert. He's made some of his own simple shape and parts so he knows how but it's not worth trying to make something complex just for calibration tests. So he mostly grabs stuff from other people in that regard. I think he has a program he's decided he likes using and will get into that side more once he's satisfied with the printing quality itself. But it'd likely be mostly technical prints, parts he wants, that type of stuff - he's not likely to make his own m. falcon or some such, heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hubby's not a CAD expert. He's made some of his own simple shape and parts so he knows how but it's not worth trying to make something complex just for calibration tests. So he mostly grabs stuff from other people in that regard. I think he has a program he's decided he likes using and will get into that side more once he's satisfied with the printing quality itself. But it'd likely be mostly technical prints, parts he wants, that type of stuff - he's not likely to make his own m. falcon or some such, heh.

Ask Hubby if he can make a figurine out of the Fallout 1, 2 universe, like Gizmo and his desk or the Vault Overseer with his chair thingie. I'd buy that. :)

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Talk to LC, her husbad has a home 3D printer.

Pffft, like I know anything. ;)

All I know is every time I go out into the garage there's a new test doodad on the worktable.

yodaprint-03.jpg

I only know he started with a very cheap "kit" then once he knew what was what, he started buying separate parts that combined with printing some of the supporting parts, he built his own. I guess. That's what he says anyway.  That's the way he is (takes apart a phone then remakes it, type) (the blue parts are what he printed)

yodaprint-05.jpg

The main limiter with most of these home 3d printers that I've seen (whether $300 or $3000) is build size, which seems to run between 5 inches and 8 inches (height, width). The hot end can only go so high up the rails with most of these designs. So no 5 foot tall Yoda.

Edit: the thing hubby struggles with the most is how smooth the print ends up - there's always this one line or two that looks funny. Calibration stuff. You could smooth it out after of course but he wants perfection I suppose.

Edit Edit: Hubby just woke up - he says the three main issues with build size are stability of the rails (taller they are), keeping the print platform hot the (bigger it is...) and weight bowing of the horizontal bar (longer it is). One company made a $500 one that's fairly large (not necessarily super-pro quality printing but if size matters...) and of course you can make your own. Which hubby says he's been thinking of doing. So one day I'm going to go into the garage and find a printer taking up half the room, right?

Tell your hubby this: slow printing will make for the greatest quality even if your layer height is not the best. If you're printing ABS you want to have a high buildplate temperature as well as a brim to keep the print from warping (low infill too). Aside form that sandpaper and grey primer and filler are your best friends when it comes to fixing prints. You might also try some epoxy putty or some other type to smooth the areas where the support touches the model.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Spent most of yesterday afternoon 3D modelling a custom lightsaber. Saved it. Had the software crash. Opened it back up, saw my files okay, made sure to save it all again.

Then opened it this morning to find a corrupted mess and all of my work gone up in smoke.  >_<

Ah well. Off to face a Monday work day.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So we finished moving out of our old place and are trying to settle into the new one. It is about 800 sq. ft. smaller and we are feeling it. Our California King barely fits in our bedroom. There are a lot of nice thing about the new place, but the rooms are small. Thankfully I've got the garage set up pretty well with a den, laundry area, and bike workstation. 

We are across the street from my local craft beer bar, so that might be trouble.

Sun being out and warmer weather coming made me realize I don't have my doggo to sit outside with. Sort of funny how people used to get unnerved by a guy with his weiner on his lap listening to loud reggae :p

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So we finished moving out of our old place and are trying to settle into the new one. It is about 800 sq. ft. smaller and we are feeling it. Our California King barely fits in our bedroom. There are a lot of nice thing about the new place, but the rooms are small. Thankfully I've got the garage set up pretty well with a den, laundry area, and bike workstation. 

We are across the street from my local craft beer bar, so that might be trouble.

We had to downsize when we moved 9-10 years ago too, although not as much as you. I think it might've only been 250sq. feet less. It felt like more tho. The kitchen is much smaller, only one "living room" type space instead of two, 1 car garage instead of 2 car, and one bathroom instead of two. We have no children but hubby has his work/pc/server room+garage takeover and I have my ... er ... "woman's cave" pc/game room ... so we take up all bedrooms regardless. The worst thing is lack of storage space, mostly. I don't buy in bulk as much as I used to because of that. No room to put 6 months worth of toilet paper, paper towels or spare boxes or whatever else. :biggrin:

Here is a little good advice from a friend: DO NOT use threaded unions on pressurized PVC pipe. I know what you are thinking, double wrap the threading with Teflon tape and it will be fine. No... it will NOT be fine. Do not be fooled! You will end up taking a hacksaw to your leaky pipes and doing it over correctly. Unpressurized? Drain lines? Fine. But NOT pressurized. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Im comfortable working on my plumbing or electrical but what makes me nervous is working with black pipe (natural gas) whenever I had to change my water heater, fireplace or furnace. I don't know why but Im always convinced Im going to blow my own face off, Elmer Fudd style. :lol:

• Like 2

Took a personal day yesterday.

Called my alma mater to see about going back for a Masters. I might need to do a GPA deficiency thing. But looking closer, I may not have to. Lacking recommenders and being 12 years out of school, I'm thinking it might be a good idea anyway.

Got some writing done. Only a couple pages, but I'm learning my process. I need to prep for writing more before I sit down and do it.  

Watched Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse. It's still great.  

Watched Logan. It's better than I remember.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

listening to loud reggae :p

Reggae?!

:p

I do use the GTA stations, guarantees I get some mix.  It's either that or usually stuff like Ice Cube and Tupac.  Regardless my neighbours are very wary of me now :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Took a personal day yesterday.

Called my alma mater to see about going back for a Masters. I might need to do a GPA deficiency thing. But looking closer, I may not have to. Lacking recommenders and being 12 years out of school, I'm thinking it might be a good idea anyway.

Got some writing done. Only a couple pages, but I'm learning my process. I need to prep for writing more before I sit down and do it.  

Watched Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse. It's still great.  

Watched Logan. It's better than I remember.

You know Kurt Vonnegut used to drink a full glass of grapefruit juice right before he wrote. That was how he got in the "zone". You might try that. Hemingway used to drink before writing too. Not grapefruit juice though. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My problem is more that I need to consistently outline the scene first. Too often I write a scene just because I think it makes sense to have a scene. But I don't yet have an idea of why it's interesting or important to the story.

So I write for a couple pages, but realize I hate what is written because it's pointless. I take a break for a while, go for lunch, maybe a drive, and think about what I actually want to accomplish. Then I come back and start over with a plan.

I need to skip the first bit.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You could view it as a warm-up exercise and save it and come back to it if you ever need a scene like it.

Or keep it and revise the heck out of it until it does what you need it to do once you've found the direction you're going.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ok, bit of comedy with my new place. I bought a dryer for $200 from a, acquaintance who works for a contractor. They had an extra one left from a job. He told me it was electric. It didn't have a 220 amp plug, which I thought was odd, but I'm no dryer expert and I figured new ones must not need the extra amps. I plugged it in and it ran, but without heat. I check all the fuses and everything seems fine, and then someone clues me into the fact it must be gas if it has a 110 plug. Now I need to bug the contractor to take it back or install a gas line. I mean, it is right next to the water heater, so gas should be a simple solution, but I don't want to blow anything up.   :no:

Huh, I didnt know you guys used NG out there. Is your stove/oven gas too? 

It varies. Some houses are all electric, some all gas, some a combo. I'd guess the older the house the more likely it's going to be gas, but depends on the builder - or any upgrades a homeowner has done. We have gas range/oven but it's also wired for electric back there so we could do either. Dryer is electric. Gas wall heater. etc.

Edited by LadyCrimson