RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Larian studios teasing something with 'III' in the title.

http://larian.com/

Datamining indicates that it is most likely Baldur's Gate 3.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/larian-studios-teasing-something-new-on-their-site-logo-metadata-contains-reference-to-baldurs-gate-3-see-threadmark.119852/page-3#post-21264147

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Baldur's Gate 3 will be a turn based, co-op rpg with environmental puzzles, ham-fisted writing and trying too hard to be funny? 

Eh, I'm fairly optimistic. That's just the Divinity franchise in general. I imagine with a different established franchise like Baldur's Gate, they'll rein in the humor. Especially since it's not really their IP to begin with, and the bulk of the writing will probably be handled by the DnD people in turn.

As for it being TB VS RTwP, that's up in the air. If they want to call it a sequel, it has to be RTwP. That said, they also clearly have the resources to pull a PoEII and have both TB and RTwP in the same game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, melkathi said:

Baldur's Gate 3 will be a turn based, co-op rpg with environmental puzzles, ham-fisted writing and trying too hard to be funny? 

I'm worried about Larian music because Kirill Pokrovsky passed away so we will never hear more amazing music.

I would be worried about art style, I really really don't like their style at all. No more cartoons please

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Larian has never done a RTwP game before, right? So yeah, that's a worry right there.

That and, well, BG3, after all this time it's just bound to disappoint, no matter who makes it. As bummed as I am about that cliffhanger Valve probably has the right idea with HL3.

Edited by marelooke
  • Thanks 1

People have been asking for a conclusion to the original Divinity as well, which would be Divinity 3.

I kinda liked D2: DKS so I wouldn't mind that at all (probably rather have D3 over BG3 to be honest)

15 hours ago, melkathi said:

At this point that'd be the only way to sell it to me really. The wave of party-based RPGs in the last few years have now convinced me that I'm well and truly over them. As much as I loved the genre two decades ago, a faithful sequel would simply hold no enjoyment for me anymore.

From a purely selfish perspective, it'd feel like a waste, a developer I like making a type of game I cannot like. It hits close to home because that in essence has been Obsidian for me for nearly a decade now.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

15 hours ago, melkathi said:

Yep, anything about the game that does not honor the legacy of the BG franchise would seriously piss me off. The game being turn-based would especially push me over the edge. In other words, to be good it needs to be pretty much everything that the D:OS games were not.

But there is room for optimism for two reasons. One, Tuque Games has already announced it is developing a D&D game that will be a co-op action RPG. I can't see WotC agreeing to two new D&D games that will be essentially the same thing.

Two, Swen Vincke in a recent interview was very emphatic in saying that he wanted to move away from the things he'd already done with the two D:OS games into new, uncharted territory for Larian, because making the same type of games was boring and uncreative and he wanted to be challenged and try new and different things.

• Like 2

the only way BG 3 would work for me is if it retconned Throne of Bhaal and at the same time was bigger in scope than BG 2.

alternatively, it would be the Black Hound but as big as BG 2. 

everything else would be BG 3 in name only! 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Microsoft makes a promise to release their games at launch on steam:

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-games-on-steam-announced/

Really happy about that as they purchased multiple studios I am interested in. There is also this bit:

We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future,

Let’s hope that means we might see Obsidian and inXile stuff on GOG.

Either way good news.

• Like 5

My bet would still be in it being D:OS3.

However, if it was Baldur’s Gate3, or another D&D adventure pencil me in as interested. While D:OS2 wasn’t my cup of tea, those guys clearly have a knack for RPGs, though I am more interested in singleplayer experiences, then their social experiments. Whatever they do, I will keep my eye on it.

35 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I though Larian was working on some tactical combat game in the Divinity setting.

Yes they are, but that game is contracted out to some other studio. This game is what they've been touting as their next new game, codenamed Project Gustav.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2019 at 1:38 AM, Saito Hikari said:

Larian has a history of teasing with BS to build hype.
I'll believe it when it's announced.