RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

12 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I remember people used to whine sooooo much about the subscription model for MMO's, but I was always feeling like I got a good value out of them. Now the new microtransaction world is soooo much murkier.

Is a nice thing to have, no need for them to muck about with F2P that can be sketchy like TOR's was at start or not.  Although WoW does have subscriptions and a fair amount of services, I don't really feel those are all that bad aside from people's own issues - apparently some high end raiders race and faction change like fiends though.

9 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Also 60$ games now is just a myth. You got for that proce just a basic edition with cut out content, you need to buy "gold" editions for 80 to 120$ nowadays to get the full game from AAA, and mulltiple season passes on top of that. So tje cost of 60$ per is the most blatant lie in the current AAA industry.

And then there's Paradox games... 😛

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know about that, I've bought a few new games recently for $60. The enhanced editions just usually offer a bunch of extra online stuff that I don't care about. The thing is I know I will typically play a game for a month and then move on, so I don't want or care about new content that will come out months down the line, and I don't usually care about online modes. Unfortunately it seems a bunch of people do care about dumb booster packs, because it must be selling. It would be great if we got content instead of simple assets, but consumers are not driving the market that way.

I do miss the actual physical collectors editions that used to come out for an extra $10. I got some neat swag that way. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Like some sort of season pass?

Isnt a season pass an annual subscription model? I mean a one time purchase that also buys future skins / expansions / updates.

Everyone wins..devs get more money and people cant qq over purchasing additional content and acting like they deserved it all along.  

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Isnt a season pass an annual subscription model? I mean a one time purchase that also buys future skins / expansions / updates.

Everyone wins..devs get more money and people cant qq over purchasing additional content and acting like they deserved it all along.  

The even more winning move is to wait a year and buy the complete edition that includes everything in the season pass for 50% of the original price of the base game. Patience is a virtue.

Anyway, Rage 2 is out.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

And then there's Paradox games... 😛

Paradox is a bit of an anomaly. They keep updating and changing the base game so that there's usually very significant differences one year after launch, whether you buy any of their content patches or not. And for the most part, their paid DLC have offered good value for the price tag (Plantoids Pack etc excluded).

Yet, after my own recent experience with Stellaris and from reading I:R and MtG user reviews (currently sitting at a dismal 39% and 38% respectively), I get the feeling they are also veering towards a focus on profits rather than delivering genuinely great games.

I can't help but be reminded of the fact that all of these flops have coincidentally occurred a few months after the company's long-time CEO stepped down and was replaced by someone whose previous experience was managing an online gambling services company. Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that, sure. In any case, the ratings speak for themselves.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

yeah i noticed it seems there is drop in quality in Paradox DLCs and games, thats why i am little nervous for Vampire game. 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Paradox is a bit of an anomaly. They keep updating and changing the base game so that there's usually very significant differences one year after launch, whether you buy any of their content patches or not. And for the most part, their paid DLC have offered good value for the price tag (Plantoids Pack etc excluded).

Yet, after my own recent experience with Stellaris and from reading I:R and MtG user reviews (currently sitting at a dismal 39% and 38% respectively), I get the feeling they are also veering towards a focus on profits rather than delivering genuinely great games.

I can't help but be reminded of the fact that all of these flops have coincidentally occurred a few months after the company's long-time CEO stepped down and was replaced by someone whose previous experience was managing an online gambling services company. Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that, sure. In any case, the ratings speak for themselves.

3 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

yeah i noticed it seems there is drop in quality in Paradox DLCs and games, thats why i am little nervous for Vampire game. 

I haven't played it myself, but Imp Raider Rome got pretty much **** on in reviews, professional and user alike. Hopefully it's not a trend, because I generally have liked Paradox, but the change in leadership is worrying.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Would be interesting if Davis–Monthan Air Force Base (the real "Boneyard") made it into a future West Coast Fallout game.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Another Vampire: The Masquerade game has been announced, no, not the V:TM2 we already know about. Details are scant and it's only been described as a "Narrative RPG" but what has me excited is that it's being developed by Big Bad Wolf who made The Council, my 2018 GotY. 

http://www.bigbadwolf-studio.com/

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I haven't played it myself, but Imp Raider Rome got pretty much **** on in reviews, professional and user alike. Hopefully it's not a trend, because I generally have liked Paradox, but the change in leadership is worrying.

I am wondering, what is wrong with I:R, I do not own it, but I've watched few Twitch streams, and it looked pretty fine for me. Is it lack of features? Well considering that CK2 and EU4 have so many DLCs and patches over the last decade, with new content and stuff, it would be impossible to put all that effort into new game, without delaying it for another 5+ years.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

44 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

I am wondering, what is wrong with I:R, I do not own it, but I've watched few Twitch streams, and it looked pretty fine for me. Is it lack of features? Well considering that CK2 and EU4 have so many DLCs and patches over the last decade, with new content and stuff, it would be impossible to put all that effort into new game, without delaying it for another 5+ years.

From what I read, the biggest complaints, besides being asked to create a Paradox account, seem to be that all the different countries are exactly the same with the same units, etc. and that there are a lot of mechanics that aren't fleshed out and don't do much of anything at the moment.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Pretty much what I've heard too. Heaps of systems from CK2 and EU4, but they're all very bare bones- so you feel little connection to the characters compared to CK2 nor can you develop your country in a 'unique' fashion as in EU4. Suspicion being, of course, that those systems will get fleshed out via later paid dlc.

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Another Vampire: The Masquerade game has been announced, no, not the V:TM2 we already know about. Details are scant and it's only been described as a "Narrative RPG" but what has me excited is that it's being developed by Big Bad Wolf who made The Council, my 2018 GotY. 

I wonder why CCP Squandered White Wolf were Paradox has immediately started putting it to use...

16 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Anyway, Rage 2 is out.

Well, that one snuck by me completely...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Speaking of Paradox

Reveal hidden contents

glorified anomalies. They should start working on proper diplomacy and espionage instead of this. Also better trading would be nice as well, not to mention combat system

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Stellaris is great and I heard some about relics but it's first time when I see trailer and it looks great. I usually try to avoid DLC games, but Stellaris is a completely different story.
I love such atmosphere from the times when I was a child. It's similar to my favorite LEGO series - Rock Raiders.

Runescape and OSRS Old School Runescape gold for everyone who want to buy Runescape gold https://odealo.com/games/runescape/gold

6 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

They should start working on proper diplomacy and espionage instead of this.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe those were specifically things the new game director wanted to do for the next "big" DLC.

Myself, I would settle just for AI that can work with the new economy, fixing sectors, and in general solving the problems left over from 2.2. But if they haven't got around to it six months after release, I don't see it happening.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

21 hours ago, Keyrock said:

How was The Council? I waffled back and forth on whether to pick it up or not because of my general no Steam exclusives policy. Of course, I break that policy a few times every year.

Free games updated 3/4/21

5 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

How was The Council? I waffled back and forth on whether to pick it up or not because of my general no Steam exclusives policy. Of course, I break that policy a few times every year.

I mean, it was my GotY, clearly I loved it. It was the evolution of the Telltale formula I had been hoping for years we'd see. It's like a Telltale game, but with actual gameplay. It has point & click elements, some clever and really thematic puzzles, and RPG-Lite elements. Plus, the choices you make actually make a difference. It had the usual bit of jank and ambitious but not completely up to snuff production value that you get from a smaller studio, but otherwise it was just a really well made game. 

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On 5/14/2019 at 1:12 AM, Gfted1 said:

As far as I remember, games have not significantly increased in price in years.

Only if you're a console peasant. There was a time when computer games went for a like a third of a Nintendo cartridge instead of roughly the same, and that included games with insane budgets (for the time) like Wing Commander IV. The prices of computer games went up well beyond what inflation could account for. Looking at the credits of games it's not hard to see why. Nowadays they have more people attached to them than some movie projects and ever since gaming went mainstream CEOs want a new car per month, not just one per year. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.