RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

On 5/5/2019 at 9:16 PM, injurai said:

Every game has both been done and not been done at the same time.

edit: Philisophy 101, I am very smaht

Wait, when did we start talking about Anthem? ;)

(I'll get my coat)

• Haha 3

A bill in the us congress tries to enforce lootbox ban for underaged. 

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

"I agree with a libertarian perspective that gov'ts shouldn't have to do this... but these are bs tactics that prey on people, so I'm ok with the gov't shutting them down"

The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

3 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

A bill in the us congress tries to enforce lootbox ban for underaged.

I don't care about children, but developing games around microtransactions seems wrong (haven't played Warframe). Middle-earth: Shadow of War proved that loot boxes affect design and balance, so whatever forces publishers to focus on quality of their products (or artworks, if games are considered art), instead of MT, has to be good.

2 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

I don't care about children, but developing games around microtransactions seems wrong (haven't played Warframe). Middle-earth: Shadow of War proved that loot boxes affect design and balance, so whatever forces publishers to focus on quality of their products (or artworks, if games are considered art), instead of MT, has to be good.

There's no legislative initiative that can make games not be ****, though. What this is likely to lead to is more straight up cash shop "optional" P2W à la Star Citizen and $20 one-use dyes as in SWTOR, and not significant game design changes to stop fleecing chumps players.

I might be persuaded that requiring them by law to be open about what they are peddling is a good thing, but an outright ban? Expect lawmakers to **** this up in all kinds of ways you didn't think were possible, while simultaneously failing to address the central problem that is investor -both institutional and private- greed taking over just about everything.

I mean, if they explicitly stated that 95% of all pulls in FUT are going to be utter garbage, and that, in order to get that one Icon card you'll have to spend 4,000€ on average*, would they still be raking in billions?

Just stop buying that **** and raise a stink about it whenever possible, and it'll eventually go away.

*No guarantees of course that you won't get it for less... or ever. No guarantees that it's even truly random.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

They are never random, I am playing MK mobile when i am travelling, and after getting back to the game after 6 month break, I purchased few pack with my ingame money. In the first three pulls I made in the first week, I got always card with lowest possible chance of drawing. That way, they make and incentive to buy more packs, because some people think, they are on their lucky streak... And because of this manipulation, people will never stop buying them...

Edited by Mamoulian War

5 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

Well, Warframe doesn't have lootboxes, although they did nerf XP gain some years ago, likely so they could keep booster sales up. Still, they just make stuff go faster and only affect XP and resources (not blueprints or anything else "desirable") so they're still mostly a skip-the-grind type of deal.

That said, they do have randomly generated "mods" (basically stat-cards that you put on your gear) that are tradeable (sounds akin to Diablo 3's auction house, which I had no first hand experience with). They're gated behind multiple levels of randomness so getting a desirable one generally means trading with other players, which means acquiring and spending premium currency (which at some point obviously needs to be bought with real money, even if you get it by trading with others). Many players opposed them and the game is perfectly fine without them (so far), I expect that, should that even change many veterans will pack up and leave.

They also charge stupendous amounts for user-created skins (Tennogen), I mean, 5-6 euros for a skin really no longer is a micro-transaction in my book. Still, you can just ignore those exist.

Edited by marelooke

3 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

They are never random, I am playing MK mobile when i am travelling, and after getting back to the game after 6 month break, I purchased few pack with my ingame money. In the first three pulls I made in the first week, I got always card with lowest possible chance of drawing. That way, they make and incentive to buy more packs, because some people think, they are on their lucky streak... And because of this manipulation, people will never stop buying them...

That's also one of the reasons why they're desperate to have lootboxes not be classified as gambling- if you start manipulating the results of your formally defined big g Gambling to give a 'first hit is free' result you will get in a lot of very real trouble in many jurisdictions as it would be both 'unfair' and seen as an attempt to addict. If it's just little g not real gambling honest guv then you can get away with manipulation with little to no oversight.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So... Blood: Fresh Supply got released on GOG (and, presumably, Steam) - it's an official source port by Nightdive and 50% off if you own One Unit Whole Blood.

If you've not played Blood yet and enjoy oldschool shooters, you really owe it to yourself to go through it. Imaginative, fun, gory and rather puntastic. Especially fun if you're a horror fan.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Thanks 1

Blood was my most played multiplayer game, before Counter Strike took over my home-city.

Ah... Bethesda

("Trigger warning" it's Jim Sterling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77iJYA8H_lc

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I just found out about City of Heroes: Homecoming, a private server that has brought back City of Heroes in all its glory. It's free, no subscription, and it includes all the content ever put out for the game, including City of Villains and all the issues. With Conan Exiles consuming all my gaming time, I don't know if I can find time for a MMO, but I' really tempted to give it a shot. City of Heroes was my favorite MMO of the brief time I was into MMOs. I played it for 6 or 7 months before jumping ship to WoW (which I didn't play nearly as long before life changed and I didn't have enough time to play MMOs to justify spending $15 a month). I'm curious to see if this game holds up 15 years later, if it's as great as I remember or if my fond memories are of the rose-tinted variety.

Anyway, it's out, it's free, google it and download it if you want to play it.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

so I got quite fun with Stick of the Truth so I bought on Steam Fractured but Whole, but when I want to play it it downloaded Uplay and require me to install it and create account in it??? What is the point on having it on Steam than? I am going to refund it if its the case. I don't want that crap on my PC. I am very disappointed.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Ghost Recon

I wish it was first person :/

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I just found out about City of Heroes: Homecoming, a private server that has brought back City of Heroes in all its glory. It's free, no subscription, and it includes all the content ever put out for the game, including City of Villains and all the issues. With Conan Exiles consuming all my gaming time, I don't know if I can find time for a MMO, but I' really tempted to give it a shot. City of Heroes was my favorite MMO of the brief time I was into MMOs. I played it for 6 or 7 months before jumping ship to WoW (which I didn't play nearly as long before life changed and I didn't have enough time to play MMOs to justify spending $15 a month). I'm curious to see if this game holds up 15 years later, if it's as great as I remember or if my fond memories are of the rose-tinted variety.

Anyway, it's out, it's free, google it and download it if you want to play it.

I am on Halcyon.

Pooka is my red-side Mercs-Dark MM ( lvl 10 somewhere between Port Oakes and Cape Au Diablo)

Aconitine is my reborn old Thugs-Poison MM, but instead of good ole CoV I relaunched her as a going rogue character so she is blue-side (lvl 5 Nova Praetoria, with the decision to start the Crusader or Warden resistance story arc). (back in 2007 she turned more grey, during the second Rikti Invasion. No alien steals her turf after all)

I need to start scrapper again.

I miss beating up Vhazilok in King's Row.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Ah... Bethesda

Hilarious considering how lawsuit-happy Bethesda's parent Zenimax is.

Perhaps someone found overnight that they had to write and design a new expansion and this is their way of flipping off their boss. Even considering Bethesda's complete lack of original ideas, I find it hard to believe it's studio "policy" to straight up lift whole modules off other games (that they don't own).

so now I am getting enraged, 3 times I wanted to refund that Uplay nonsense on Steam and 3 times I got robotic reply that I already played more than 2 hours of it and I can't request refund. How can I contact some human being there??!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

#notmyfinalfantasyvii

Also from the makers of Grimrock, turn based RPG Druidstone is coming soon to GOG https://www.gog.com/news/coming_soon_druidstone_the_secret_of_the_menhir_forest

Edited by Mamoulian War