RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

On 4/28/2019 at 12:02 AM, LittleAmadillo0 said:

NSR

It looks nice. Similar vibe to Psychonauts.

Shame if it is a Playstation Exclusive. We should boycott it and demand that it also is released on Steam, because all games should be released on Steam and there should be no other stores or platforms, and everything that isn't on Steam is a restriction of my consumer freedom.

Sorry went off on a tangent there :)

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Doesn't matter if it does, The current gaming rage against exclusivity is only targeted against games that aren't released right away on Steam. If it is exclusive to Steam then there is no issue. So following the current trend: a console game: problematic. A PC game: fine, as long as it releases on Steam (doesn't matter if it is exclusive to that store).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

👍 Think bigger!! All digital media...games, music, books, etc. should be exclusive to Steam!!!

PS sales would probably shoot through the roof is they were also offered on Steam. But Sony is large enough to support their own "store front" so why bother giving away a piece of the pie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Doesn't matter if it does, The current gaming rage against exclusivity is only targeted against games that aren't released right away on Steam. If it is exclusive to Steam then there is no issue. So following the current trend: a console game: problematic. A PC game: fine, as long as it releases on Steam (doesn't matter if it is exclusive to that store).

You sound like a shill for Epic.  No doubt a Chinese intelligence agent, to boot.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/amp/

Possibly  a hit piece, but it has value in that it'll at least wind up Roberts' bonkers fanbase some.

More random, but funny.

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.

“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”  

In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.” After three months, the restraining order was dissolved. Today, Roberts says he cannot recall signing the declaration and that what is ascribed to him in the court filings was prepared by Peterson and false. Despite the documentation, Gardiner flatly denies the incidents took place.

:lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What the hell.

/Edit: They just released ArcCorp, by the way. A full planet covered in city. It looks pretty cool.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

On 5/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, Katphood said:

Gameplay looks fun but the jokes are not funny...at all. 

I think I half-chuckled at him trying to "sneak" but that's about it. Claptrap in particular has always been one of those good in tiny doses or silent-movie sequences things. The more you let him ramble on and on the less amusing he (often) becomes.

I like the idea of switching ammo/effect types on a gun, along with a couple other minor changes. So far looks pretty much like "more Borderlands", which imo is good. I'd like more  footage of the chrs. skills in use. Amara and Zane's listed trees don't excite me in text.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought the writing was superb in Borderlands 2. So many fun moments and so many colorful characters. Same goes for Tales from the Borderlands. I just hope Gearbox doesn't solely focus on the gameplay department, I want the gameworld to be fun to explore.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

On 5/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, Malcador said:

Possibly  a hit piece, but it has value in that it'll at least wind up Roberts' bonkers fanbase some.

“Star Citizen is a playable game,” Roberts insists. “It has more functionality and content than a lot of finished games.”

I mean, he's not even wrong. I also enjoyed the "ignorance of crowds" pics interspersed.

I predict a 2025 launch after Roberts has sold a technically-not-bankrupt CIG to Activision and they re-start the project barely using any assets at all. It'll then be forever immortalized as a "killed in the crib" myth with gamers everywhere wistfully musing about "what it could have been".

• Gasp! 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well, the SC people are upset by it.  Great thing about this post I saw on Reddit is that it's hard to tell if they're serious or not.

This article was pure tabloid trash and I’d not be surprised if it was funded directly by EA or some other soulless, greedy game publisher. They have always been terrified of what this game represents, of what it could one day prove.

They could not buy Chris off.

He refused to sell out his vision and be beholden to ridiculous “deadlines” because deadlines kill games. So they rejected him. Yet thanks to a ragtag crazy gang of space gamers, Chris achieved complete financial and creative independence, with no deadlines, no compromises, no constraints.

And when publishers saw that, they trembled. ”What if...?”, they started to ask, hardly daring to finish the thought aloud. Because they knew the answer to that unspeakable question, and it would be their very undoing.

So now they rage, they conspire, they infiltrate, they collaborate with the enemies of this project. We have seen this ourselves for years. They enjoin assets in big media to publish meritless hit pieces, all meant to sow discord and doubt, meant to undermine confidence in the one game, the true game, the pure game that terrifies them more than anything else in the marketplace. The game that can unmake them.

But it will not work. It has never worked. It didn’t work when Kotaku UK did it, or Wired, or even the old Grey Lady herself, The New York Times. And it will not work now, with this cheap shot hit piece written by nobodies for the toilet read of Boomer stockbrokers and sellouts.

The game will come out when the game comes out, and the longer it takes, the better it will be. Its “Tier Zero” is better than EA titles in the Gold Release stage. It already has more content than most AAA games and it is only just begun, it is still early days, we are just getting started. Chris has barely begun to fight, yet he’s already won, for in the beginning of this game we see the end of EA’s. And both are glorious!

• Haha 1

The article is pretty dismissive of crowdfunding as a whole, which seems silly. Everyone should understand that crowdfunding is a decent risk. If it wasn't a risk, bigger fish would be throwing money at these projects instead of all these small fish. I've actually been surprised at how many of these crowdfunding projects have paid off. 

53 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Eh, should be easy to verify the facts in the article?

I mean, if there was a police report filed and a judge issued a restraining order, then yeah it should be pretty easy to verify.

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Made something in 7 days a couple weeks ago and was finally able to release it.

Y2mUctQ.png
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1731998436

Little did we know what secret project was....the Kwisatz Haderach

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1