RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Don't think many games would be what we would be called an alpha state 15 years ago.  The alpha I played then was pretty unstable and missing a lot of features or things plain old not working for large groups of users.     Gamers over inflating severity of issues isn't anything new.

If such a closed beta for Bannerlord does happen soon that is a good thing.  Just have to wait 18 months after that for release date announcement :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still no word on a release date for M&B2: Bannerlord, right?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1723097746688457151

Found it funny this was news - they plan to have a closed beta. Well, I'd hope so.

What does beta even mean any more? Given the shove it out the door and patch it later state of the games industry these days, games are being released fully in states that would be called "alpha" in the past.

Alpha, beta, I think these terms are overused. I played, according to some freaks, "beta" of Pathfinder months after launch, yet I had enjoyable experience. Thing is - you can't expect game product without bugs, what matters is playable 'state'. To me even Bard's Tale IV was in playable state at launch if you would just reload the earlier save & actually taken care to save the game.

I think he was more refering to the so called Live Services, where you are buying empty shell and a promise in a roadmap, which may or may not ever come to fruition.

Anthem and Fallout 76 is a prime example of Early AAAccess.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

^ A little of column A and a little of column B.

The way I always understood it, alpha means playable, but not feature complete (a rather accurate description for a live service at launch) and beta means feature complete but in need of testing and balancing.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think of alpha of being in a state where you can test large things, or at least a core experience but features still missing. Beta is feature complete but still has reliability issues.

Then of course at my company, we just release stuff clients didn't ask for and/or stuff that doesn't work :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

no interest in Borderlands for me anyway :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well Kotaku (you were warned) has a lengthy piece about Anthem's development.

The tl;dr is basically Anthem is Mass Effect: Andromeda 2.0: chronic lack of vision, Frostbite woes, bad leadership, and the game was eventually slapped together in the last year or so.

Oh, and DA:I apparently went through the same deal, albeit a little more successfully.

• Like 2

^ Ah, the game that sold the CD-ROM. I loved the 7th Guest and the 11th Hour. Top quality fever dream FMV mastercheeses.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The funny thing being that BioWare's response came literal minutes after the Kotaku article was published, in other words, it was a canned response written before they even bothered reading the entire thing based on the synopsis sent to them by Kotaku (which they didn't bother responding to). So yeah...

The funny thing being that BioWare's response came literal minutes after the Kotaku article was published, in other words, it was a canned response written before they even bothered reading the entire thing based on the synopsis sent to them by Kotaku (which they didn't bother responding to). So yeah...

This is typical Bioware. Generic "we have received your feedback, please keep it coming" responses instead of properly addressing points has been their MO for years now. I expect them to do precisely nothing about the issues mentioned. Insulation is the word, I think. And maybe too many John Romeros on board?

I legit lol'd at the VB suggestion that Edmonton should take a page from Austin's gross mismanagement of SWTOR regarding how to run live services long-term. I guess if they haven't gone under yet, they must be doing something right... right? Heh.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Still laugh at what EA is now as opposed to the ideal it had at the start

At least the BL3 "exclusive" is only 6 months or so. Maybe by then most of the DLC will be out and hubby and I can play it in one shot so to speak, anyway. If it even has LAN. I hope it has LAN. If BL3 does away with LAN, no buy.

Still, the way things are going, looks like 2019 to mid-2020 is going to be pretty much zero "AAA" gaming. Not that I buy many AAA games anyway.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

https://www.pcgamer.com/borderlands-3-release-date-leak/

Another big win for Epic, perhaps

Meh, nothing truly new (as that was revealed by Randy in a twit last year). New thing is it's "only" a six month exclusive. But yeah, Take 2 and their subsidy, Private Division, which sucks for Obsidian fans, has  definitely decided to share their bed with Epic.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Romero Games & Paradox are making a strategy game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/romero-games-is-working-on-a-strategy-game-with-paradox/

No details yet, but I can only assume they're going to make me their bitch.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

No details yet, but I can only assume they're going to make me their bitch.

Paradox game so they'll just make you their b. Letters i,t,k and w will be available later as dlc.

That doesn't spell 'bitch', of course; but don't worry Modders Will Fix It.

• Like 2

Paradox and Romero...so it'll be late and chopped into many DLCs ?