You just lost a Customer for life.

Way to go, now I'm not buy this game, ever. No way I can support a company like this, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

Reasons I am pissed off:

-I do not support PC exclusives, unless that company actually made the game, even then I am not a huge fan.

-I will never sign up to Epic and give my details to Tencent, who are nothing more than gaming branch of the Chinese Government

-I will never support a Company who would treat their customers like peasants.

Screw you, you were meant to be better than this.

• Like 2

As many have already pointed out every time a comment like this comes up, obsidian probably didn't have a say in this. From the adverting it seems they were under the impression it would be on Steam and not be an epic exclusive.

Maybe they should choose their partners better and actually communicate with them regarding decisions also affecting them.

• Like 3

As many have already pointed out every time a comment like this comes up, obsidian probably didn't have a say in this. From the adverting it seems they were under the impression it would be on Steam and not be an epic exclusive.

Maybe they should choose their partners better and actually communicate with them regarding decisions also affecting them.

Thats one upside with Microsoft. Its set for the future.

Kinda disappointed Private Division decided to make TOW and Epic Store exclusive, but I still have high hopes for Obsidian's future. Microsoft is actually releasing their games in Steam with Halo TMCC being their most recent release

Edited by Sanjid099

You've got a lot more confidence in Microsoft than I do. They've cancelled a number of games over the last few years and were one of the leaders in trying to force anti-consumer features onto gamers during the XB1 launch. Some of us have not forgotten their history.

You've got a lot more confidence in Microsoft than I do. They've cancelled a number of games over the last few years and were one of the leaders in trying to force anti-consumer features onto gamers during the XB1 launch. Some of us have not forgotten their history.

Yeah, but back then the executives who controlled the the Microsoft games division were different (that idiot Don Mattrick comes to mind). Now, that helm is driven by Phil Spencer and he's taking Microsoft games into a more favorable path

Edited by Sanjid099
  • Like 1

Yeah, but back then the executives who controlled the the Microsoft games division were different (that idiot Don Mattrick comes to mind). Now, that helm is driven by Phil Spencer and he's taking Microsoft games into a more favorable path

I won't argue that their consumer practices on the gaming side have been (much) better lately, but it isn't just on the gaming side that Microsoft has a recent history of trying to force some VERY shady stuff on consumers. They haven't been shy about trying to use their market strength to their own benefit and not end customers over the decades.

I do think they're doing a lot better on gaming practices lately, but given their history I don't think they can be held up as a "safe" publisher.

Way to go, now I'm not buy this game, ever. No way I can support a company like this, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

Reasons I am pissed off:

-I do not support PC exclusives, unless that company actually made the game, even then I am not a huge fan.

-I will never sign up to Epic and give my details to Tencent, who are nothing more than gaming branch of the Chinese Government

And why do you think anyone cares ? Man, maybe there is something to gamers being utter babies.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reasons I am pissed off:

And why do you think anyone cares ? Man, maybe there is something to gamers being utter babies.

Companies should care about the inputs from their customers. This game was originally announced as being released on Steam, a platform that has broad support and trust among gamers. 

It's now being announced as exclusive to a different platform that some people do not like or trust. If it had been announced as being released on Epic IN ADDITION TO also being on Steam, then I doubt people would be complaining. They'd have the choice of what platform to buy the game on. Obsidian could even provide incentives to go with a platform of their preference in the form of a couple of minor in-game goodies or a slightly better price. That would be consumer friendly.

It being made exclusive to the Epic or Microsoft Store is clearly a move that benefits the company but not the company's customers because it restricts choice.

Gamers who dislike that aren't being babies. They're expressing a valid grievance. 

Edited by nocoolnamejim
  • Like 2

Still seems over dramatic, even for the Internet. Not like Obsidian is going to change course on this - money is great for a business after all - because some dude claims he'll never buy their games again (which, knowing gamers...he probably will).

At least they didn't be edgy and say they'd pirate the game though :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still seems over dramatic, even for the Internet. Not like Obsidian is going to change course on this - money is great for a business after all - because some dude claims he'll never buy their games again (which, knowing gamers...he probably will).

At least they didn't be edgy and say they'd pirate the game though :lol:

True, I doubt that Obsidian changes course on this decision. They're likely under contract with Epic now and CAN'T change course.

But that doesn't and shouldn't mean that people who don't like the decision shouldn't be able to make their opinions known right? Maybe if the backlash is large enough it will make Obsidian rethink their release policies for future titles?

And, really, aside from giving their feedback here, over Twitter, etc. and stating their intention not to buy the game as a result, that's about all regular gamers CAN do to provide feedback about their dissatisfaction to Obsidian. I have a hard time blaming concerned customers expressing their disappointment via the only means available. I feel the feedback will be received a bit better if it's phrased a bit more politely than Whiting originally did, but allowances should be made for emotional customers to be a bit upset.

I admit I share that emotion to some extent. The Outer Worlds looks amazing and I'm a huge fan of the original pre-Bethesda Fallout games (Fallout 1 and Fallout 2). I couldn't wait to play it! So I was very excited about this and admit to being disappointed like some others are. 

• Like 1

Reasons I am pissed off:

I'm sorry, but some of you really don't understand just who Tencent is, do you? They are not only just a Gaming Company with goals of controlling the whole industry,

1. They steal your personal details. 

2. They are a branch of the Chinese Government. Tencent success over the years is hugely owed to the Chinese Government. Also refer back to point number 1.. 

3. They are pro censorship, they own many social media companies in China and are responsible for censoring and oppressing Chinese citizens.

​4. They are involved with making the new Orwellian Credit system in China. 

I will never buy anything involving Tencent and anyone who willingly gives them their personal info is an ignorant moron. Anyone with a brain should be very scared of Tencent, their goals and where they are heading. 

Call me a baby all you want, but at least I'm not as ignorant as you about this situation. 
Edited by Whiting
  • Like 1

Point was on the post, not reasons for it, heh. What are their goals here then and where are they heading ?

In any event though, why not just get it from the Windows Store or other vendors in a year ?

Edited by Malcador

To the OP's first point, Obsidian is now part of Microsoft and you can get the game directly from them without Epic.

I can understand your disappointment of it not being sold at the store of your choice at launch because as someone who prefers GOG that is my life.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

Is that a serious question?

The game will not be on Steam for a year after launch and you can buy it from MS at launch so probably not. Sorta like buying a Valve game from Steam and expecting a UPlay key.

Not being sold on steam does not equate to not being available on steam. You can enter keys for games and download and play them through steam even though they are not available for purchase there.

If you mean adding a non-Steam game to Steam then that's a different thing altogether

If you mean something else then I'll probably need an example as I am not an expert on Steam policies and practices

Outerworlds is on steam. You can find it there. So I'm not talking about a non steam game. Just activate the product there. Adding a non steam game can always be done, but that's not what I want.

There's games that were available on steam before, but now no longer can be found there. That doesn't mean you can't activate the products anymore or that you can't play previously activated products. I've done this before. You don't need to be able to buy it through steam to activate the product there and you can even activate products that you can't buy on steam. The only thing that steam has to do is have it in their library for download. I'm wondering if they will allow that.

Again, I'm going to need examples because it sounds to me like you mean a few different things like buying Steam keys elsewhere or having access to game that is no longer sold but once was (GOG does this too when games are pulled). A store page is not the same thing. 

Unless I'm still misunderstanding you it seems unlikely that Obs/MS/PD will put the game on Steam at launch (and update and support it there) and sell Steam keys a year before they will allow Steam to sell it and that's if Steam even allows it. It may not be an impossible thing to do but I think it would be very unlikely as currently it's a timed semi-exclusive to their own store (MS Store) and Epic

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21