The Outer Worlds won't launch on Steam

Hello, Obsidian.

You may not understand this yet, but you have just destroyed your reputation with your fanbase. You know, the same people who used to actually buy your games. 

Whatever money you got from Epic, hope it lasts you for a very long time, because the decision to sell out to Epic is going to impact all of your future games. People have a tendency to remember betrayal.

post-232484-0-79994400-1553164669_thumb.png

• Like 1

Not sure how much Obsidian is to blame here, since the decision was probably taken by "Pirate" Division and Obs didn't have too much say on the matter. Still, I will not support anti-consumer exclusivity deals, so I refuse to buy the game alltogether. Unless we make publishers realize exclusivity is a mistake, they will keep repeating it.

• Like 3

I think people should be honest with themselves. It's not really about the "exclusivity" or "spyware" or any of that stuff. Those are transparent rationalizations.

If you're mad about this, you're probably a hardcore PC gamer who has become heavily invested in the Steam platform over the years. You own hundreds if not thousands of games, you use the chat functionality to talk to all your friends, etc. Using Steam is part of your daily routine as a gamer and you don't understand why you should have to stop using it for this one game. There's nothing really wrong with this - own it.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 2

I think people should be honest with themselves. It's not really about the "exclusivity" or "spyware" or any of that stuff. Those are transparent rationalizations.

If you're mad about this, you're probably a hardcore PC gamer who has become heavily invested in the Steam platform over the years. You own hundreds if not thousands of games, you use the chat functionality to talk to all your friends, etc. Using Steam is part of your daily routine as a gamer and you don't understand why you should have to stop using it for this one game. There's nothing really wrong with this - own it.

I think it is as much what you just described as it is that people don't want to use Epic platform. I also have Origin and Battle.net, but I just don't want to add anything else to that. I don't use uPlay, I don't use Epic. I don't want to. Also the Epic platform is one of the worst ones out there.

Isn't this kind of thing just going to lead to more exclusives? This probably means less competitive pricing, no need to sell the product cheaper than the other store if your store is the only place the product can be baught.

I'm really not a big fan of steam at all. Gog just seems to work better on my pc than steam ever did and steam is full of absolute trash which makes finding good games that are not already well known pretty hard.

Maybe stronger competition will force steam to do better I guess? Somehow I doubt it.

• Like 1

Well that doesn't describe me at all but isn't forcing those gamers to use a platform they don't want to where they can't do all those things a bad thing? It's an entire year before this game comes to other platforms, that's pretty terrible for anyone who is invested in steam or gog or whatever else.

That's why people are saying this is "anti consumer" because this isn't a move to attract more people to epic, it's a move to force more people to use epic or miss out.

Whats transparent is your bias in delivering news infinitron. Meanwhile steam is mostly a platform to wait for sales, and we use discord to chat with our gaming friends etc.

Had epic cut prices (from their own pocket) , gotten involved in regional pricing and done some marketing, they'd slowly be gaining a steady customer base. And I wouldn't mind adding another launcher to my pc in that case. What they instead push is exclusivity which is a cancerous kind of competition that adds no value for the customer.

for me it's because of the cancer in the business that is Tim Sweeney *the man without a clue*, and them(EPIG) throwing money around to buy exclusivity deals.

what they do has nothing to do with competition.

oh and Steam does not and never had a Monopoly, whoever thinks they have/had is pretty braindead.

It's an entire year before this game comes to other platforms, that's pretty terrible for anyone who is invested in steam or gog or whatever else.

Yep, it's extremely annoying, no doubt.

I've been that guy - I am that guy. The kind of person who's worried about desktop litter and always uninstalls a utility from his PC after I'm done with it, if I don't think I'll be using it frequently. I always wait years and years before upgrading to a new version of Windows. I was the kid who defragged his hard drive daily, back in the days when that still mattered. So I understand the appeal of having a set-up that works for you and not wanting to stray from it.

But lots of people aren't like that, and things do always eventually change, so I don't know...I think it's wise to be dispassionate about things and see what happens. If it turns out people aren't willing to use the Epic Games Store, the game will suffer commercially and the free market will do its job.

Edited by Infinitron

Choosing to not purchase the game on a platform can be perfectly rational. For some people, for example, the benefits of Steam as a platform outweigh the value of the game and since Steam is still full of games, there is absolutely no need to leave the platform to have fun. Exclusivity is the core cause of this, so obviously it can't be just a case of rationalisation.

I'm gonna disagree with you there.  I was hesitant to use EGS simply because, yes, I like having my games library in one place: Steam.  When this exclusivity was announced, I sighed and thought to myself "Well, I guess I have a reason to install the EGS launcher."

But then, via this controversy, I discovered the issues with privacy and the implications of the kinds of exclusive deals they've been purchasing, and I changed my mind.  I can't support the EGS.

• Like 6

for me it's because of this Tim Sweeney *the man without a clue*, and them(EPIG) throwing around money to buy exclusivity deals.

oh and Steam does not and never had a Monopoly, whoever thinks they have/had is pretty clueless.

[since there are a lot of things that can be discussed in this situation I'll look at this situation from my perspective as a consumer who wants to purchase a game when it's released, I specifically don't want to discuss the long term implications, good or bad. Although I'll take on a very self centered standpoint for the discussions sake]

Isn't this kind of thing just going to lead to more exclusives? This probably means less competitive pricing, no need to sell the product cheaper than the other store if your store is the only place the product can be baught.

I'm really not a big fan of steam at all. Gog just seems to work better on my pc than steam ever did and steam is full of absolute trash which makes finding good games that are not already well known pretty hard.

Maybe stronger competition will force steam to do better I guess? Somehow I doubt it.

Pretty much this. At the moment I can't see any advantage in the EGS. I'm from germany and as far as I checked the games here cost the same on both platforms (eg. steam and EGS, no active sale).

Heck, even Donut County costs the same on all three platforms (steam, GoG and EGS), with GoG offering 50 cents as wallet funds. At this moment in time EGS is or might be the best choice vor developers and/or publishers, but for me as a consumer?

I simply can't see the benefit. I know you can argue with the financial stability for the developer/publisher, but that is rather abstract, because I have to take their word for it that they might create a better game or support it longer/better. When I buy a game on the EGS right now I have no direct advantage for myself. The "advantage" that EPIC created is simply that they are the only supplier in some cases, through (timed) exclusives.

Between EGS and steam is no competition at the moment that benefits me as a consumer. I pay the same for my games and have them bundled with an inferior launcher for EGS if the games are on both stores. And since I can't choose my distribution platform/store I'll at least loose some convenience when buying a game.

Like I said, where is my advantage right now? Where do I save money? Where is my comfort? Why is there a so called "competition" and I get "less" than before (inferior launcher and even if I take the launcher out of the equation, I still loose comfort, since I can't choose between EGS and steam in some cases)?

• Like 4

I have (wait a sec...) 14 games in my Steam library. I don't use Steam for anything else than downloading and updating games. No chat, no friends, nothing. I also use GOG from time to time. But despite your chain of reasoning I still don't want to use the Epic store. :)

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Like I said, where is my advantage right now? Where do I save money? Where is my comfort? Why is there a so called "competition" and I get "less" than before (inferior launcher and even if I take the launcher out of the equation, I still loose comfort, since I can't choose between EGS and steam in some cases)?

There is none! EGS is clearly worse than Steam.

On the other hand, it's just a launcher, not the actual game. So maybe this entire controversy is the obsession of a relatively small number of platform enthusiasts. We just don't know yet, this is all very new.

Edited by Infinitron

So obviously the motivation is the bottom line, but does anyone know what that number is?

I think Ive seen it mentioned that Steam gets .30 cent on the dollar. What is Epic cut? Is it so overwhelming as to mitigate the lost sales over the course of a year? Will anyone be interested in a year old game?

Epic takes a 12% cut, as opposed to Steam's (initially, it lowers once it hits certain revenue thresholds) 30%. As well as that, the usual 5% cut Epic takes from games using UE4 doesn't apply to games present on the EGS. In addition, Epic is (currently) offering financial security. They don't offer developers a lump sum to delay Steam/GoG releases, but rather a minimum sales guarantee. If the game doesn't reach a certain number of sales, Epic is willing to pay the difference. The amount is something that depends on the scale of the game, so there's no concrete numbers floating around which point to how much Obsidian/Private Division were guaranteed in exchange for exclusivity.

What Epic is currently offering is tough to pass up, but you'd have to be foolish to think this is a sustainable way to run a platform. If the EGS catches on and the competition shrivels up, these bonuses are going to disappear and people are going to witness what a real PC monopoly looks like.

for me it's because of this Tim Sweeney *the man without a clue*, and them(EPIG) throwing around money to buy exclusivity deals.

oh and Steam does not and never had a Monopoly, whoever thinks they have/had is pretty clueless.

How does getting exclusivity deals have nothing to do with competition ? Seems like nakedly being so.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For the record I don't like Steam. The reason I got on Steam was to play Fallout New Vegas and the reason I have many games there now is simply because it's convenient and they offer sales and discounts. 

In my experience both Origin and Uplay are much faster than Steam when it comes to downloading games and they don't have all the clutter. Origin sucks when you want to take screenshots so Uplay is better when it comes to that. 

As far as I'm concerned Gog is the best because it's DRM free but games usually take longer to get patched there and that can be a hassle. Plus fair regional pricing on Gog is going to be a thing of the past in 10 days because they can't compete. 

So what does Epic offer me?

-Slower download speed.

-A few free games that I either already owned or didn't care about.

-A much higher price for new games considering I'm not in the US and online stores like GMG or the Humble Store don't sell Epic keys. 

Like I said, I got into Steam because of Fallout New Vegas so chances are I'll probably get into Epic because of the Outer Worlds but I won't be happy about it unless they improve their service. Steam came a long way since 2010 so I should probably give Epic the benefit of the doubt. 

I understand they want to take a bite out of Steam's pie but exclusives will only get them so far if they can't have a storefront that is easy to navigate and prices that gamers who don't live in North America can live with. 

I don't see this happening any time soon. 

• Like 1

How does getting exclusivity deals have nothing to do with competition ? Seems like nakedly being so.

You don't seem to understand what the word competition means. Competition would mean Epic, Microsoft, Steam, GOG, etc a sell the game and the customers decide which store/launcher is best. Purchasing exclusivity rights is the opposite of competition.

• Like 6

I can't use EGS because I'm Chinese. I do have a ton of games on Steam, I also have around a dozen on GoG. 

The thing that worried(or angered) me most are the games EGS was pursing, they are mostly targeting the middle size and indie games, like Outer Worlds and Sinking City, not the big AAA big title. Majority of the "players" dont' really care(or even heard of) about these smaller games, but for me(and I imagine a lot of people here as well) these are the most interesting games out there. They are more driven by the creativity of the developers, instead of coporation's desire for profit.

The ones that get hurt the most, are the ones that actually really enjoying playing video games., not the casual gamers. At this rate soon I'll have no game left to play because AAA titles are all going to be loot shooters and the indie games and middle size games are all EGS exclusive.

Edited by jf8350143

You don't seem to understand what the word competition means. Competition would mean Epic, Microsoft, Steam, GOG, etc a sell the game and the customers decide which store/launcher is best. Purchasing exclusivity rights is the opposite of competition.

exactly.

i still don't get, why there are people who do not understand something so easy like the word "Competition"