Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Outer Worlds won't launch on Steam

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

bonarbill

bonarbill

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts

I never buy games from the Microsoft store, but looks like I'll be buying this game from there.  No way are those money-hatting **** at Epic are getting my money.  I refuse to use their launcher if they are going to doing crap like this.

Edited by bonarbill, 22 March 2019 - 01:41 AM.

Yonjuro

Yonjuro

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Epic is a symptom. The problem is DRM. Suppose you buy the game on Steam or some other service that requires DRM.

Suppose that Epic's exclusivity gambit pays off big and they buy the service you bought your games from. Now you are Epic's customer. It doesn't matter whether you want to be Epic's customer. You don't have a choice (well, you could attempt to pirate all of the games you thought you owned, but that isn't a good choice). Your game library goes to whoever bought the service.

If they now have a monopoly (a common tendency in tech. - consolidation to the point of monopoly), they may decide to charge you a monthly fee to play the games you "own." They may decide to do other consumer unfriendly things. Who knows?

Or, you can refuse to buy anything with DRM. You then own your games. If your vendor gets bought by another vendor or just goes out of business (two very common occurrences in tech.), you still own them. You might need to start making your own backup copies if you were relying on your vendor for backups.

Anyhoo, it's been fun Obsidian. If The Outer Worlds makes it to GoG (and is still relevant when it gets there), I will certainly consider purchasing it.

• milczyciel likes this

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just tested the Windows store and I didn't hate it. Nothing to download, sign up for, or configure.  

Just putting that out there for those that don't want Epic or to install an additional client

The nothing to sign up for bit is only true if you linked your Windows account to a Microsoft account, If you didn't then you still need to sign in (possibly even create an account), and be very careful so they don't intrude into your Windows experience outside of the store. (because anyone who didn't link their OS account did so on purpose, MS kinda "hid" that option on purpopse)

Just fair warning: do not pre-install (which is not the same as pre-loading) on the Windows store (or at least be aware of the caveats), if you install a game before its released it will download some placeholder data. It will then happily pull in the entire game on release. And fail to install it with a vague error. The only way to fix it is to uninstall and redownload. I've had this issue with all three Forza games, so I'm going to just assume it hasn't been fixed yet (and those aren't exactly small games, so I wasn't too please about having to redownload 40GB+ each time). Given how helpful the errors were it took me multiple hours (and multiple failed downloads) to figure out what was going on the first time.

If you get lucky and they either fixed it, or you manage to avoid it, go you, if not, now you know what to do :)

Edited by marelooke, 22 March 2019 - 02:41 AM.

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 308 posts
i only ever used steam under duress and most of its 'features' are of no interest to me. if gog or itchio aint options, everything else is second best. im already on both egs and windows store due to fortnite and sea of thieves so this aint something im gonna lose sleep over. tbh im still more annoyed at fact that i need a ps4 to play bloodborne lol, but whatevs.
  • M4xw0lf and daven like this

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts

I absolutely despise the fact that these exclusive-deals are brought over from consoles and simply will not support it.

I like how Obsidian is just hiding from the beep-storm this decision stirred up amongst its fans.

/sarcasm

Indeed, i relly appreciate that Obsidian is taking a stand.
/sarcasm

It is understandable that these are business decisions and that Obsidian most likely didn't have a say in this but that's what you got for selling out to Microsoft Studios. Well done guys, as of right now i guess i'm not going to spend any more money on you.
Nope. This has nothing to do with selling to MS. In fact, had they sold themselves to MS earlier, this wouldn't have happened (MS can rightfully sneer at Epic's exclusivity bribes).

This is Obsidian signing yet another bad publishing deal where they don't seem to have any grasp of what's in the contract, or set any real limits on the publisher. Its another live demonstration that Obsidian -needs- to be owned by another party, else they'll keep shooting themselves in the foot.

If we're really lucky the MS ownership will also mean less tolerance for shipping games as buggy messes.

Edited by Voss, 22 March 2019 - 04:40 AM.

• DCParry likes this

Oter2k

Oter2k

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I will, like most others here, preface this by saying I love Obsidian's games, I love the love that Obsidian pours into their projects, and I have the utmost respect for the devs/writers/artists/everyone pouring their passion and effort into making these works of art.

But, however much I love the games Obsidian makes, I do have principles, and I tend to stick by them. In this cases it boils down these three, simple reasons:

• I will not support Epic Games' exclusivity bullsh1t;
  • I will not support Microsoft's bid to break Steam/Valve in order to lock down PC gaming;
  • I will not support Tencent's efforts in building their Chinese spyware dystopia.

After Microsoft buying them, I was very much expecting MS to come up with some sort of non-Steam exclusivity on upcoming games (but tbh I was expecting a 100% Windows Live Store (or w/e) exclusive).

Edited by Oter2k, 22 March 2019 - 05:01 AM.

• C2B and The RPGenius like this

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will, like most others here, preface this by saying I love Obsidian's games, I love the love that Obsidian pours into their projects, and I have the utmost respect for the devs/writers/artists/everyone pouring their passion and effort into making these works of art.

But, however much I love the games Obsidian makes, I do have principles, and I tend to stick by them. In this cases it boils down these three, simple reasons:

• I will not support Epic Games' exclusivity bullsh1t;
  • I will not support Microsoft's bid to break Steam/Valve in order to lock down PC gaming;
  • I will not support Tencent's efforts in building their Chinese spyware dystopia.

After Microsoft buying them, I was very much expecting MS to come up with some sort of non-Steam exclusivity on upcoming games (but tbh I was expecting a 100% Windows Live Store (or w/e) exclusive).

Uhhhh what?

Microsoft is releasing HALO of all franchises on Steam and is generally cool with their games  on other plattforms under their new strategy. They don’t try anymore to win the exclusive wars.

Edited by C2B, 22 March 2019 - 05:15 AM.

• Kadayi, marelooke and Katarack21 like this

bonarbill

bonarbill

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts

Microsoft these days don't care where their games are as long as they're making money.   They're even releasing some of their games on the Nintendo Switch.

• Jozape, marelooke and Katarack21 like this

MDMAisGOOD

MDMAisGOOD

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

oh and say what you want, the upper Obsidian Management did know from the beginning.

and devs becoming also a bigger cut in all of this EPIG 12% whatever BS? hrhrhrhrhrhr

sorry, rant is over now.

daven

daven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 699 posts

Microsoft these days don't care where their games are as long as they're making money.   They're even releasing some of their games on the Nintendo Switch.

I was shocked to notice Cuphead coming out on the Switch.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Is Chi Com the new hot lingo or something?

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2039 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Nope. This has nothing to do with selling to MS. In fact, had they sold themselves to MS earlier, this wouldn't have happened (MS can rightfully sneer at Epic's exclusivity bribes).

This is Obsidian signing yet another bad publishing deal where they don't seem to have any grasp of what's in the contract, or set any real limits on the publisher. Its another live demonstration that Obsidian -needs- to be owned by another party, else they'll keep shooting themselves in the foot.

If we're really lucky the MS ownership will also mean less tolerance for shipping games as buggy messes.

I'm curious.

Did you by some miracle see EGS being a thing 3 years ago? Why would you have clauses on the game being on sold Steam (for PC) when that was the only platform the publisher would be willing to sell the game at that point.

They sure as **** weren't going to give 30% to EA/Origin or Ubisoft/Uplay. Those were the other storefronts back then and keep in mind Take-Two does not publish games on GOG either. That leaves.... Steam as the only option.

Did you see Epic throwing money at publishers for exlusive deals? Deals that actually make sense for the publisher since they are being guarenteed an amount of money and more publicity in the actual store than they could ever hope for on Steam. While idiots like you are blaming the developer for this, when it's the publisher. Private Division isn't taking a hit, because gamers are just clueless twats.

Did you see Private Division and in some ways Take-Two make a test run on their 3rd party games (Ancients, TOW and others) and how well they sell and what is the reaction from gamers, so they know what to do with their own games (GTA, RDR)?

You should reconsider naming yourself Captain Hindsight.

• Oner and injurai like this

tribeof1

tribeof1

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is incredibly disappointing. I've been an Obsidian customer for years and just about any RPG you put out is an auto-buy, but this does it. Not a fan of Epic's software or their business practices, and I won't be forced into supporting either for Outer Worlds. So long.

• Kadayi and The RPGenius like this

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts

I'm curious.

Did you by some miracle see EGS being a thing 3 years ago? Why would you have clauses on the game being on sold Steam (for PC) when that was the only platform the publisher would be willing to sell the game at that point.
They sure as **** weren't going to give 30% to EA/Origin or Ubisoft/Uplay. Those were the other storefronts back then and keep in mind Take-Two does not publish games on GOG either. That leaves.... Steam as the only option.

Did you see Epic throwing money at publishers for exlusive deals? Deals that actually make sense for the publisher since they are being guarenteed an amount of money and more publicity in the actual store than they could ever hope for on Steam. While idiots like you are blaming the developer for this, when it's the publisher. Private Division isn't taking a hit, because gamers are just clueless twats.

Did you see Private Division and in some ways Take-Two make a test run on their 3rd party games (Ancients, TOW and others) and how well they sell and what is the reaction from gamers, so they know what to do with their own games (GTA, RDR)?

You should reconsider naming yourself Captain Hindsight.
Did you see me making ANY of those claims? No.

I simply said this is a continuation of obsidians past behavior is making bad publishing deals. This doesn't require Epic or MS or China. It just requires basic familiarity with the company and how things went with them of the kotor2 and fallout new Vegas deals. They took bad terms and got shafted for it. That it happened again despite their experience with prior bad deals is indeed their own damn fault, just as much as the publisher taking advantage of their continued legacy of idiocy.

Most competent devs in the industry can develop congenial relationships with a publisher for more than two rushed games. That obsidian can't and instead still rush to bad deals (despite the MS buyout looming when they signed with take 2) speaks poorly of them. It doesn't mean other parties are somehow innocent, just that this is consistent with company history.

And frankly, no one sane signs a publishing agreement that reads 'the publisher can do whatever they like without consultation and agreement with the dev" which is what you are arguing.

Edited by Voss, 22 March 2019 - 09:04 AM.

• nocoolnamejim likes this

physicalist

physicalist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1) If there are DRM free games on Steam, there are also DRM free games on EGS. In reality neither is DRM free (and no, a fan wiki does not count for anything) as both require a proprietary app for download and install; and you can't just decide to ignore that form of DRM because you like Steam. And no Galaxy ain't DRM since it's optional and all you need for GOG is a browser and an account.

2) GOG is inarguably better than steam, even if you go by the incorrect definition of DRM free only about 1 in 20 Steam games don't require steam running- 99.95% of GOG games don't require Galaxy (with the one exception being always online by its nature). Centralised MP makes drm irrelevant, as you have to be online and connected to the company's servers, that's just how it works- ie you cannot be offline to play centralised MP. DRM on LAN or direct connection etc would be a valid complaint though.

3) You own games on EGS exactly as much as you own them on Steam, ie you don't. It's the same everywhere, hence End User License Agreement rather than End User Ownership Agreement. In some cases the licensing cannot be enforced- physical media, GOG installer downloads, local law saying something is a good not a service- but you only own them practically, not legally.

4) They are induced exclusives, they're just bought in kind rather than as a guaranteed minimum sale figure. All those 'free' features steam offers are inducements to exclusivity every bit as much as a lump sum, they're just a different approach to it.

...and that's what's happening if people don't read:

1) Exactly! I was replying to: "[Epic] already have a better product [...:] no DRM"

2) Okay, I'll give you that. They are clearly better in terms of DRM, although not perfect. Thanks for completely misreading my argumentation, though.

3) Exactly. I was replying to: "[Epic] already have a better product in that you actually own the games you purchase"

4) Not my point. OP used a tu quoque and your points don't change the fact that Valve, as far as we know and in all likelihood[1], never paid any publisher money not to offer their game on a competing platform. Doing so is a foul move in my opinion. Doubly so if you do it at the last minute.

[1] Because they never had to, of course.

Edited by physicalist, 22 March 2019 - 12:02 PM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

oh and say what you want, the upper Obsidian Management did know from the beginning.

That's literally impossible, since EGS didn't exist when they started working on TOW- Fortnite hadn't even been released, there was no money cow. EGS' aggressive push only started a few months ago.

DarkFenix

DarkFenix

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is a complete betrayal of not just this community, but of PC gamers the world over. It's a direct attack on consumers, it's a direct attack on fair competition. And all of that for a proverbial suitcase full of cash from Epic Tencent.

Well congratulations Obsidian, you've shown yourselves to be precisely the same kind of greedy corporate entity as the likes of EA and Activision, perfectly willing to do anything so long as you smell profit.

I for one will never buy another Obsidian game again. I hope your new Chinese overlords made it worth it Obsidian...

Aemelius

Aemelius

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Disappointed to see this happen. Not a big fan of Epic or their store.

I have a huge backlog of games to catch up on including PoE 2 so I'll play catch up on them until the game comes out on Steam. (Unless the game turns out to be a dud in which case I'll pass... but it looks good so far)

That said I may wind up missing it out altogether... March 2020 is when Bloodlines 2 is meant to be coming out...

• Katarack21 likes this

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, at least it will be well patched and cheaper by the time it arrives to GOG. Plenty of games to play until then.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3087 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

and devs becoming also a bigger cut in all of this EPIG 12% whatever BS? hrhrhrhrhrhr

sorry, rant is over now.

Prove it. That's my only requirement for believing that Obsidian knew. Provide some evidence.

• JadedWolf and Wormerine like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users