The Outer Worlds won't launch on Steam

On 5/16/2019 at 1:24 PM, rustypup said:

Personally, I've decided *not* to purchase because exclusivity is anti-consumer and a cruddy practice. Always has been. Always will be. (Not ignoring the fact the Epic is a horrendous experience). 

It's not exclusive from a hardware standpoint, so I don't really see how it is all that anti-consumer. Sure, there is a hassle involved with using a storefront that is different, but any computer that can run Steam or GoG can run Epic. Console exclusive is way more cruddy for consumers, as you have to actually buy something different if you want to use the software. 

As to the quality of Epic, that sounds more like an opinion. Looks a lot like Steam to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

It's not exclusive from a hardware standpoint, so I don't really see how it is all that anti-consumer. Sure, there is a hassle involved with using a storefront that is different, but any computer that can run Steam or GoG can run Epic. Console exclusive is way more cruddy for consumers, as you have to actually buy something different if you want to use the software. 

As to the quality of Epic, that sounds more like an opinion. Looks a lot like Steam to me.

It's absolutely NOT an opinion. Epic lacks many features present in Steam while having no feature that Steam doesn't have*. The EGS is OBJECTIVELY worse than Steam.

Also objectively, Tim Swindley is lying trash.

*unless you count having your account banned for participating on their sale (which they somehow managed to screw up, leading to various games being removed from the store) as a "feature"

Is the game going to run any differently because of those features that Epic lacks?

I have no idea who Tim Swindley is, but again, does that affect the experience I will have with The Outer Worlds?

11 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Is the game going to run any differently because of those features that Epic lacks?

I have no idea who Tim Swindley is, but again, does that affect the experience I will have with The Outer Worlds?

Tim Sweeney is the original author of the Unreal Engine, and majority owner of Epic Games.  Whether to not his or Epic's involvement in The Outer Worlds even matters seems to radically vary on a person-to-person basis.  

As far as game functionality goes?  It's single player, and very unlikely to have any substantial mods.  Aside from not being able show your friend list that you're playing TOW, or brag about scoring some rare achievements, the only part of the steam architecture it really leverages is purchasing and installation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daven said:

I love seeing how passionate some people can get about games, but couldn't care less about anything important.

This is a forum for a fairly niche game developer, so I wouldn't expect a whole lot of 'important' topics to come up. 

4 hours ago, daven said:

Based one.. ma balls!

lol

Fair enough. I'm guessing though that while some people are single-issue passionate, just because we're on a gaming forum and you don't see their passion on other subject doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new thing in Epic exclusivity.

The famous indie studio Klei Entertainment are going to release the alpha of their upcoming game Griftlands exclusively on the Epic Games Store. But everybody who buys it there will get a free Steam key for the Steam Early Access release next year.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/601840/announcements/detail/1610514097397241772

Alpha and the Epic Game Store

As with our previous games, we will be running an Alpha period in order to iron out the kinks. We have partnered with Epic to bring the Alpha of Griftlands to the Epic Game Store exclusively for one year, and will launch in Early Access on Steam next June.

Early Access on Steam and Early Roadmap

In June of next year, we will be releasing Griftlands into Early Access on Steam. Anyone who purchased on Epic will get the game on Steam for free, and vice versa.

Come on, Private Division, you can do this. 

Edited by Infinitron

On 6/11/2019 at 1:58 PM, Infinitron said:

Here's a new thing in Epic exclusivity.

The famous indie studio Klei Entertainment are going to release the alpha of their upcoming game Griftlands exclusively on the Epic Games Store. But everybody who buys it there will get a free Steam key for the Steam Early Access release next year.

I did find this announcement amusing. In the past Klei released their alpha in a quite covert way - Invisible Inc. was purchasable via their website, and ONI was hidden on steam, with link available via official forums, and both games were released on steam in Early Access once Klei deemed them fun.

So does Klei believe that Epic is enough to stop everyone but the most interested in the game? 😁

Sad news. I guess this is going to be first Obsidian game on PC i'm going to skip. Still undecided whether I'm going to buy timed exclusives even when they do come to Steam or really any other platform outside of Epic. Doesn't feel right rewarding exclusivity deals that way.

Edited by ToveriJuri

Yes thank god that steam sucks so bad - why does the stupid thing give me trading cards ... honest what is that a feature? lol bring back retail stores and 3.5" floppy disks, I want to load 100 of them into me computer .... cry, cry I want all me games in one place, cry ... they will be, on your computer ... yes I think this post and people upset over steam is pretty ridiculous.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

No. My understanding is that it'll simply access your all of your libraries (that you give it permission to) to launch titles you have purchased from other storefronts. All with one click through Galaxy's interface. No need to have other launchers installed, but your games won't really be on your GOG account unless you purchase them from GOG.com, just like it is now.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, daven said:

How would you lot feel if Cyberpunk was only released on GoG? Would you make the same comments about CD Projekt Red?

CDPR ACTUALLY MAKES CP2077. Nobody's complaining about 1st-party exclusives, because, even though they're still bad from a consumer position, everybody understands that makers putting it only on their store is fair.

lol wut.

People hated on Origin for having 1st party EA titles 'exclusively'. And they weren't even exclusive at the time, you could buy EA games pretty much anywhere- except Steam, because Steam was a special snowflake and wanted to dictate how they could be sold. There was extensive, vociferous and sustained complaining about Origin; people have just moved on to the Next Bad Thing now EGA has arrived.

Meh ... Steam still sucks just as bad, and they got developers by the cojones so any shake up could just as easily turn out positive.  I mean GOG is stepping up just as a start ... who knows what is next, the optimist in me is like yeah **** finger to Steam, all positive.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
sp
  • Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy