The Outer Worlds won't launch on Steam

It's banned in China.

To which I say, don't live in China.

That's pretty cold, man. But admittedly, it's not EGS's fault that the Chinese government bans everything.

It's not our government that banned EGS, it's EGS themselvs decided not letting Chinese consumers buy their game. It's their own decision.

Edited by jf8350143

It's not our government that banned EGS, it's EGS themselvs decided not letting Chinese consumers buy their game. It's their own decision.

That's an odd decision. Why would you purposefully cut out the world's largest market?

Edited by Heijoushin

That's an odd decision. Why would you purposefully cut out the world's largest market?

No one knows the real reason, but there is one popular guess: One of their big shareholders, Tencent having their own digital storefront in China. So they just banned China as a whole to avoide competition in the future.

Too tempting, they are handing out sweet deals like there is no tomorrow. On the whole though, if the STEAM monopoly breaks, that's not a bad thing. Competition and all. It's going to make STEAM better too. 

That's not how competition works. EGS wasn't making their platforms better, they are just throwing money away to get market share, and they will get these money back when they get enought market share, from the consumers. It's not competition they want, it's monoploly. 

• Like 3

It will always be the great irony that 95% of the people complaining about Epic Store exclusives would be completely fine with it being a Steam exclusive. Either exclusives suck, including steam exclusives, or they don't in which case ES exclusives are fine.

(And it's probably good news overall for GOG users, since we wouldn't have got TOW on release day in any realistic scenario. As it stands now we might even get it the same day steam does)

There is no such thing as Steam exclusive unless it's a Valve's own game. What are you talking about?

Steam never stops publishers to go sell their games on other digital platforms, Epic games do. If the publishers don't want to sell on other platform other than Steam, does valve suppose to force them to sell on GoG or anything?

That isn't what exclusive means though. If you have to use steam to get/ play the game it is steam exclusive as... that's the definition of exclusive. What you and others are complaining about are paid exclusives, which is a subset of/ reason for exclusivity, not exclusivity itself. Even then steam does offer multiple in kind inducements for exclusivity, they just don't offer sales guarantees (well, so far as we know).

But the exclusive designation doesn't include TOW however you define it as it isn't an ES exclusive since it will be on Windows Store too.

That's not how competition works. EGS wasn't making their platforms better, they are just throwing money away to get market share, and they will get these money back when they get enought market share, from the consumers. It's not competition they want, it's monoploly. 

Do you really want me to list all the loss leaders Valve employs to get market share? It will take a while.

Its GoG or nothing for me. have no problem with timerestricted exclusive sale platforms since i dont buy betaphase-games anyway. POE I needed 3 Years to be halfway bugfree. So this aspect is ok.
But in general, Mafia Methods like Epic is trying to gain Marketshare with, no thanks. As Developer, theres more to earn than just money.
And as Platform, theres more needed than exclusive titles.

We saw what happens when companies try to play the **** game. Customers need to use their votes. Dont waste it as happened on intel or nvidia (or esp amazon they lured the customers first and then play the monopoly game)

Edited by hcl

Too tempting, they are handing out sweet deals like there is no tomorrow. On the whole though, if the STEAM monopoly breaks, that's not a bad thing. Competition and all. It's going to make STEAM better too.

Yes, because Epic is totally going to be a monopoly when Steam is the current top dog. It's not like Epic is using their own money to try to compete with the current monopoly in ways that GoG, Origin, a d UPlay are unable to do...

Sure, same as everyone. I'm pretty sure that's what competition is. No one is doing anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Thought I would drop in and add my completely irrelevant and most likely useless opinion. I will not be buying this game. I have been a supporter of Obsidian, and I even forgave them the unfinished half-assed ending of NWN 2 when it first came out. Many of people have pointed how these business practices are bad, and if you are not consciousness to see why, there is not point arguing with you. This has nothing to do with Steam really. You think this is going to hurt Steam? Let us be honest here, and even if the Epic store takes 20% of the PC market from Steam (and I SEVERELY DOUBT it will get that close) it still somehow stick it to the Steam man and usher in a golden age of competitive store fronts for use to buy our PC games are full price with no sales?

There are two loser in this scenario. First, the player. Artificially limiting choice is always a bad thing, and all you hyper-capitalist Randian cheerleaders should be crowing about how Steam proves the natural process of the market. But no, instead, you think it is somehow a good thing to use sheer purchasing power to claim a stake in the market, a stake not supported by past performance, future promise, technical innovation, or anything else. 

The other loser is going to GoG. Steam is not going to be destroyed. They can handle the MINOR hit in revenue and sales that these exclusives will cause. You know who can't? GoG. They will be ****ing decimated. So all you super competition supporters will have one less store front to buy from.   from which to buy. 

As an aside, I teach a few courses that focus on Orientalist and Techno-Orientalist discourse, and with that said, even I find the Epic's practices shady as **** even recognizing the Orientalist overtones to much of the criticism. 

So, there is my completely irrelevant opinion. I don't think this is going away, I mean, the entire reddit page is bitching about this. 

• Like 6

Sure, same as everyone. I'm pretty sure that's what competition is. No one is doing anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

The problem is EGS are not using a better product to compete and gain market share, they are burning money to force their worse product on people. Consumers won't get a better result from this kind of strategy. It happened before, when they gain a big enough market share, they can push anything on consumers because we don't have a choices anymore. And the things they will do will be the exact opposite of consumer friendly.

Steam has been top dog for years, but that's becasue they have actually become the best platform in the market, not because they use exclusive to force people using it. 

Edited by jf8350143

The problem is EGS are not using a better product to compete and gain market share, they are burning money to force their worse product on people. Consumers won't get a better result from this kind of strategy. It happened before, when they gain a big enough market share, they can push anything on consumers because we don't have a choices anymore. And the things they will do will be the exact opposite of consumer friendly.

Steam has been top dog for years, but that's becasue they have actually become the best platform in the market, not because they use exclusive to force people using it.

That's how they became top dog. Edited by Vitalis

The exclusive deals suck because they probably mean they will be able to charge full price. On that we can agree. In the long run it probably also means that STEAM can't charge 30%.

So, maybe, cheaper games once the exclusive period is over.

I don't hold much stock in STEAM sales. Seems like you can find better prices by googling the game most of the time. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

So Obsidian got money to force us to have a worse experience with their game.

How's that for greed? No consideration for the customer, just money. That's the only thing they care about.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Private Division/ 2k makes the decisions on publishing, being the publisher. There's nothing Obs can do about it, indeed we have no idea when they were even informed.

The other loser is going to GoG. Steam is not going to be destroyed. They can handle the MINOR hit in revenue and sales that these exclusives will cause. You know who can't? GoG. They will be ****ing decimated. So all you super competition supporters will have one less store front to buy from.   from which to buy.

The amount of revenue GOG is going to get from TOW over the next year is exactly the same now as it was yesterday- zero dollars. As a game published by a 2k subsidiary it was never a day 1 release on GOG. The amount of money GOG would have got from the Quantic Dreams games announced would also have been zero since they wouldn't have been day 1 releases there either.

If anything it's good for GOG since their main competitor is Steam, and this decision raises the chance of them getting titles at the same time as steam from 0% to more than 0%.

Edited by Zoraptor

Not even that surprised. Obsidian have been slipping for a long time indicating worrying degrees of greed that they are desperately trying to hide behind a cracking facade, I was really hoping this would be their redemption arc but it seems it is rather the epitome and end-result.

They have for years released games that are half finished, lacked obviously cut content and prioritized DLC beyond desperately needed bugfixes for some pretty damn critical bugs. And it is especially sad to see with a studio that actually can still make good games otherwise because there are very few of those left in this day and age.

Tyranny was clearly cut in half or atleast had a third of the actual game missing. Pillars of Eternity 1 was a great game but it only grew into this after all its DLC was released and bugfixes of several years were out. Pillars of Eternity 2 was a mess, with obvious cut content and game breaking bugs everywhere while they happily dished out DLC for your moneys.

I had already decided not to buy more Obsidian games until reviews released and users confirmed it was both rich and actually in a working state but this was the final nail in the coffin. Obsidian you break my heart with this bull**** but as you insist on your moneygrubbing ways and blatantly anti-consumer (Remember that guy? The consumer? The person that made you what you are? The person that raised you and nourished you and once flourished with joy your success and its result? Yeah that guy)  practices are the final "**** you" to those of us who loved them and their works. You can go bugger yourselves Obsidian, you are a disgrace and I hope you die in a similar fashion as the studio that once was Bioware. I will never give you a single penny of my hard earned money again until you have proven yourself worthy of it and considering it took you years to earn my regard the first time how long do you think it will take for you to earn it back? You completely and thoroughly disgust me in what you are and what you have become.

Not even that surprised. Obsidian have been slipping for a long time indicating worrying degrees of greed that they are desperately trying to hide behind a cracking facade, I was really hoping this would be their redemption arc but it seems it is rather the epitome and end-result.

They have for years released games that are half finished, lacked obviously cut content and prioritized DLC beyond desperately needed bugfixes for some pretty damn critical bugs. And it is especially sad to see with a studio that actually can still make good games otherwise because there are very few of those left in this day and age.

Tyranny was clearly cut in half or atleast had a third of the actual game missing. Pillars of Eternity 1 was a great game but it only grew into this after all its DLC was released and bugfixes of several years were out. Pillars of Eternity 2 was a mess, with obvious cut content and game breaking bugs everywhere while they happily dished out DLC for your moneys.

I had already decided not to buy more Obsidian games until reviews released and users confirmed it was both rich and actually in a working state but this was the final nail in the coffin. Obsidian you break my heart with this bull**** but as you insist on your moneygrubbing ways and blatantly anti-consumer (Remember that guy? The consumer? The person that made you what you are? The person that raised you and nourished you and once flourished with joy your success and its result? Yeah that guy) practices are the final "**** you" to those of us who loved them and their works. You can go bugger yourselves Obsidian, you are a disgrace and I hope you die in a similar fashion as the studio that once was Bioware. I will never give you a single penny of my hard earned money again until you have proven yourself worthy of it and considering it took you years to earn my regard the first time how long do you think it will take for you to earn it back? You completely and thoroughly disgust me in what you are and what you have become.

Decision made by the publisher.

Clearly Obsidians fault.

I love this logic.

• Like 3

Private Division/ 2k makes the decisions on publishing, being the publisher. There's nothing Obs can do about it, indeed we have no idea when they were even informed.

The amount of revenue GOG is going to get from TOW over the next year is exactly the same now as it was yesterday- zero dollars. As a game published by a 2k subsidiary it was never a day 1 release on GOG. The amount of money GOG would have got from the Quantic Dreams games announced would also have been zero since they wouldn't have been day 1 releases there either.

If anything it's good for GOG since their main competitor is Steam, and this decision raises the chance of them getting titles at the same time as steam from 0% to more than 0%.

So, you are saying that NONE of the recent Epic exclusive would have been sold on GoG? I don't think it was unreasonable, given Obsidian's history, as well as the fact it was being fully advertised as a AA game (and I read somewhere - I actually forgot where) that it was being published by the indie arm of 2k, that is would have been released on GoG at launch?

What about all those Phoenix Point GoG keys? That doesn't count?

Epic (or its controlling company) is specifically targeting smaller studios and buying them out with guaranteed sales return, which is super attractive if your studio is on tenuous financial grounds. These are the same studios, that traditionally, provide GoG versions for the group of PC gamers who are strongly anti-DRM. I mean, there is a specific history of a game BEING TAKEN OFF OF GOG due to an exclusivity deal with  Epic. I think it is HOPELESSLY naive to think that the "little guy" in any of these scenarios is going to come out better in the end. 

I had already decided not to buy more Obsidian games until reviews released and users confirmed it was both rich and actually in a working state but this was the final nail in the coffin. Obsidian you break my heart with this bull**** but as you insist on your moneygrubbing ways and blatantly anti-consumer (Remember that guy? The consumer? The person that made you what you are? The person that raised you and nourished you and once flourished with joy your success and its result? Yeah that guy) practices are the final "**** you" to those of us who loved them and their works. You can go bugger yourselves Obsidian, you are a disgrace and I hope you die in a similar fashion as the studio that once was Bioware. I will never give you a single penny of my hard earned money again until you have proven yourself worthy of it and considering it took you years to earn my regard the first time how long do you think it will take for you to earn it back? You completely and thoroughly disgust me in what you are and what you have become.

Clearly Obsidians fault.

I love this logic.

The thing is that it doesnt matter who made the decision. In this purpose the developer and publisher are one and the same. It may suck for the developer but they are inseparable in guilt because either they are not able to separate or they do not separate and for us, the consumer, the end result is the same. Everything else is just shooting ourselves in the foot and making excuses for greed.

This is logic. Your arguments is logic cut in a third and presented as the full result. It is faulty and it is misleading, it is borderline lying.

Whoa this place has turned into a **** storm real quick.

It saddens me that this game will not be across all PC platforms, but I will wait until it comes on Steam. I don't trust the Epic Store in it's current state especially with the news that Epic was going through private Steam files. If the game is good, I will buy. If the distributor is untrustworthy, I won't.

• Like 2

Clearly Obsidians fault.

I love this logic.

The thing is that it doesnt matter who made the decision. In this purpose the developer and publisher are one and the same. It may suck for the developer but they are inseparable in guilt because either they are not able to separate or they do not separate and for us, the consumer, the end result is the same. Everything else is just shooting ourselves in the foot and making excuses for greed.

This is logic. Your arguments is logic cut in a third and presented as the full result. It is faulty and it is misleading, it is borderline lying.

Spoken like someone who has no idea how contract law and publishing deals work. I suppose developers should divorce from the constraints of reality for us consumers too? Obsidian should have been prescient when the signed the deal to know Epic years later would rocket onto the multiplayer game as a service scene, and launch a store with a salacious deal to wag in publisher's faces.

• Like 3

Clearly Obsidians fault.

I love this logic.

Yes, because Obsidian lacks the funds to self publish, wants to give the consumers the best product they can, and decides that crowdfunding will impair the quality; they are the ones that are at fault for any decision that is made by the publisher.

Obsidian should really just decrease the quality of the product, separate from the publisher, and go back to crowdfunding. What could ever go wrong with that!