The Outer Worlds won't launch on Steam

Really stupid decision by Private Division and Microsoft. That's some bad PR you really don't want, especially after how well received the game initially was.

And naturally, it isn't Private Division and Microsoft taking the heat from casual twats. It's Obsidian. You've just bought a new studio and you start by doing this. PR wise this is exactly the move you should avoid. But I guess Epic paid enough dollars that no one cares for the developers burnt fanbase.

Question is: Which one is worse MGS or EGS? With other exclusives I'll just wait until I can get the game dirt cheap, might actually want to buy this at release date.

MS's is better from a consumer standpoint (has reviews, for one), Epic is likely better from a technical standpoint.

Either way, pre-order is out of the window now and if it doesn't get rave reviews, well... enough games to keep me busy for another year.

• Like 2

It's kind of funny that Epic's reputation among Extremely Online Gamers is so bad that this news would actually have been more well-received if the game ONLY launched on the Windows Store.

Well it makes me open the Microsoft Store front page for the first time in my whole life.

I'd probably buy something from it for the first time in my whole life as well simply because of this. I'd say it's a relatively efficient way to adversite the windows store.

The Windows Store is utter garbage though, I've used it for Forza games and it's been an issue for all three of the Forza games I've played through it, but at least it has user reviews, so it's got that over Epic's even lower effort attempt at a digital storefront.

Talk about having to choose between ebola and the plague.

At least I can use it in China, unlike EGS. Also it's part of the windows, so you don't have to install another launcher(which steals your personal info).

Really stupid decision by Private Division and Microsoft. That's some bad PR you really don't want, especially after how well received the game initially was.

And naturally, it isn't Private Division and Microsoft taking the heat from casual twats. It's Obsidian. You've just bought a new studio and you start by doing this. PR wise this is exactly the move you should avoid. But I guess Epic paid enough dollars that no one cares for the developers burnt fanbase.

Question is: Which one is worse MGS or EGS? With other exclusives I'll just wait until I can get the game dirt cheap, might actually want to buy this at release date.

Edit: Just look at this thread. People are already cussing Obsidian, when it's not their decision. Just another proof that idiots have taken over the world.

I doubt Microsoft was really involved, at least only so far that they can demand the game releases on the MGS. After all they just announced Halo for Steam.

Also MGS, by far. And its understandably on the platform as Obsidian is first party. An exclusive on EGS is not.

Edited by C2B

Hahaha! Straight from Snapshot forums to this. As a backer of Phoenix Point I will get Epic key and Gog after a year.

With Outer Worlds I will be waiting for release on other platforms (preferably GOG but steam will do). 

I am not upset. I can wait. I need new PC anyway. That gives me more time to build one. 

My take as well

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

With Outer Worlds I will be waiting for release on other platforms (preferably GOG but steam will do). 

I am not upset. I can wait. I need new PC anyway. That gives me more time to build one. 

Same. :yes: Or at least more advanced case with all them fancy coolers, what with summers turning into fiery hell lately. 

• Like 1

Edit: Just look at this thread. People are already cussing Obsidian, when it's not their decision. Just another proof that idiots have taken over the world.

Given obs' lengthy history of bad publishing deals (and inability to create lasting relationships, despite kickstarter AND fig), I see no reason to absolve them of blame.
  • Like 4

At least I can use it in China, unlike EGS. Also it's part of the windows, so you don't have to install another launcher(which steals your personal info).

That's a great point that I had not considered. ToW isn't my cuppa anyway (first person perspective makes me nauseous) but at least Windows users don't need to install even more bloatware.

• Like 3

Hello Obsidian,

Huge fan of your games since the 90's. Love the work you do, and many of my lifetime favorites are from your studio. I was really looking forward to The Outer Worlds. Sadly, I just read an article in PC Gamer saying 2K's Private Division label signed an exclusivity deal which includes this game. The game will be offered on Microsoft store, and Epic games. It goes on to say it will not come to Steam, etc. a year after release.

Sorry to say, I will now be skipping your game altogether. I created this account for the sole purpose of letting you know, as I feel very strongly you should know why people don't buy it. Principles. I absolutely despise these deals, and made a point to stop buying any game that does this. Since we have no real say over things like this, all we can do is vote with our dollars.

I'm shocked this happened after the recent backlash with the latest Metro game. Sorry I won't get to enjoy what looks to be another great offering from you guys.

• Like 2

@Obsidian

As a long time fan of your work since time of Interplay, throughout Troika and Obsidian I'm incredibly disappointed. You should be selling it everywhere or not sell at all. You should allow your fanbase and other consumers buy your games wherever they want.

I would even pay a little more (the difference of margin for Valve) to get the Steam key this year at launch, because it would be my choice It should be my choice on which platform I want to buy the game.

So maybe you delay the console version by a year too and see how well the Outer Worlds will sell just on Epic Store and Windows Store. It could be as great deal for you as for all of us. What could possibly go wrong?

You should rebrand SPACER's CHOICE to NO CHOICE ;]

Tim Cain: "I personally guarantee that the Outer Worlds will launch this year!". And... the magic is gone. 

However the rest of 2019 looks promising, at least for me. Two full playthroughs of KotOR 2, at least 4 runs through VtM Bloodlines and perhaps another 100 or 200 hours in Pillars.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

Given obs' lengthy history of bad publishing deals (and inability to create lasting relationships, despite kickstarter AND fig), I see no reason to absolve them of blame.

So, because they've had bad history you think they can decide which store their game will be sold? When they are owned by Microsoft and the publisher is basically Take-Two.

In which universe do they have much say in the matter? Because I sure as **** don't see them having any voice on the matter. They will do as they are told to do.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Damn, disappointed with this news. I always see Obsidian as the games for pc fans, and as such should have all of there games on all distribution options. I loved the fact i could choose to play Deadfire on steam, gog ext. 

I just cannot stand how Epic are doing things, just throwing money at devs isnt the way to make the community respect you. Put that money into making your platform amazing and show up Steam. Exclusive deals are just horrible and totally anti consumer. 

I really wanted to play The outer worlds, i still do, but i refuse to buy any game on Epic store, even more so with the total lack of security they have.  Im still thinking i might get the game on the Windows store, its not great, but i much rather put my money down there instead of Epic. Damn this sux.

• Like 1

What I am curious is if it is how all new Obsidian releases will be handled. Windows store exclusive isn’t a shocker considering the acquisition, and will Epic act as alternative? With more generous sale split and probably a quarantee of certain amount of sold copies (that is the deal with Snapshot at least) it does make sense to make it an “alternative”.

But come on guys. I get publishers and dev wanting to break out of steams control but GOG needs some love :)

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

Terrible news. I was really looking forward to getting the game right at release, but neither Epic Store nor Windows Store are options I will take.

So I will have to wait until release on Steam or GoG, and then see if the game is worth the half price in the sale. Too bad...

2019 will be a terrible year for PC gaming.

Good luck Obsidian!

Read as: The Other Outer Worlds has been delayed to 2020.

(e): lol, Other Worlds, I can't even type.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It will always be the great irony that 95% of the people complaining about Epic Store exclusives would be completely fine with it being a Steam exclusive. Either exclusives suck, including steam exclusives, or they don't in which case ES exclusives are fine.

(And it's probably good news overall for GOG users, since we wouldn't have got TOW on release day in any realistic scenario. As it stands now we might even get it the same day steam does)

• Like 2

It will always be the great irony that 95% of the people complaining about Epic Store exclusives would be completely fine with it being a Steam exclusive. Either exclusives suck, including steam exclusives, or they don't in which case ES exclusives are fine.

(And it's probably good news overall for GOG users, since we wouldn't have got TOW on release day in any realistic scenario. As it stands now we might even get it the same day steam does)

Exclusives suck. They are anti-consumer. Steam doesn't do exclusives.

• Like 3

For me, the difference is that from Steam's perspective, there is no such thing as "Steam exclusives". Steam does not offer exclusivity deals: Valve is perfectly fine with publishers also selling their games on GOG, Humble Bundle, their own service, the Microsoft Store, etc. In cases where a game is "exclusive" to Steam, it just means the publisher is crappy and hasn't bothered pursuing other avenues, and that's, quite frankly, not Valve's/Steam's fault, but rather the publishers' - yell at them all you like for it. Hard me to direct much ire at Steam outside of recognizing the fact that Steam is the most dominant distributor on a number of levels. With exclusivity deals on the EGS, the blame falls pretty squarely on both the distributor for offering such deals as well as the publisher for accepting them. A big screw-you to both parties involved here. I assume Obsidian wasn't a part of the decision.

It took me long enough to get used to Steam, I am not allowing another garbanzo beans app be constantly up and running on my PC unless they make a really compelling argument, of which the EGS has done the exact opposite from a consumer perspective (quite contrary it seems from a publisher/developer view based on these exclusivity deals becoming more and more common...but that does not affect me and therefore does not serve as a compelling argument). So...2020.

I am perfectly fine with people not wanting to play a game if it's a Steam exclusive. Personally, I've grown to hate Steam more and more over the years (I think it peaked around 2009-2011), so I barely buy anything on there, either. It's still an option for games that are only there because of publisher decision, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Exclusives suck. They are anti-consumer. Steam doesn't do exclusives.

Yeah but when a game company says their game is coming out for Steam and not GOG or elsewhere, no one will call jihad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For me, the difference is that from Steam's perspective, there is no such thing as "Steam exclusives". Steam does not offer exclusivity deals: Valve is perfectly fine with publishers also selling their games on GOG, Humble Bundle, their own service, the Microsoft Store, etc. In cases where a game is "exclusive" to Steam, it just means the publisher is crappy and hasn't bothered pursuing other avenues, and that's, quite frankly, not Valve's/Steam's fault, but the publishers. Hard me to direct much ire at Steam outside of recognizing the fact that Steam is the most dominant distributor on a number of levels. With exclusivity deals on the EGS, the blame falls pretty squarely on both the distributor for offering such deals as well as the publisher for accepting them. A big screw-you to both parties involved here. I assume Obsidian wasn't a part of the decision.

It took me long enough to get used to Steam, I am not allowing another garbanzo beans app be constantly up and running on my PC unless they make a really compelling argument, of which the EGS has done the exact opposite from a consumer perspective (quite contrary it seems from a publisher/developer view based on these exclusivity deals becoming more and more common...but that does not affect me and therefore does not serve as a compelling argument). So...2020.

I am perfectly fine with people not wanting to play a game if it's a Steam exclusive. Personally, I've grown to hate Steam more and more over the years (I think it peaked around 2009-2011), so I barely buy anything on there, either. It's still an option for games that are only there because of publisher decision, though.

It's not Valve's fault that some games are released only on Steam.

I follow the longest topic (it was created in 2001) about dungeon crawlers on one of the polish forums and there were several situations when poeople were talking about GOG. GOG  didn't want to publish even good and well recieved games which can be purchased on Steam. I'm talking about some niche but high quality games from indie developers, not some RPG Maker copy+paste lazy ****. Situations when developers themself reached out to GOG and GOG refused to sell the game on that platform.

• Like 1

giphy.gif