The Outer Worlds won't launch on Steam

So it's also on Windows Store, what's the point of it being on EGS only then, just to **** on steam?

Is this really how it is? Epic just wants to screw Steam?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

So obviously the motivation is the bottom line, but does anyone know what that number is?

I think Ive seen it mentioned that Steam gets .30 cent on the dollar. What is Epic cut? Is it so overwhelming as to mitigate the lost sales over the course of a year? Will anyone be interested in a year old game?

So obviously the motivation is the bottom line, but does anyone know what that number is?

I think Ive seen it mentioned that Steam gets .30 cent on the dollar. What is Epic cut? Is it so overwhelming as to mitigate the lost sales over the course of a year? Will anyone be interested in a year old game?

Epic's cut is 12%, lower if the game uses unreal engine. 

That's 40% of what Steam takes, while they offer only 5% of the functions Steam offers. And they have the nerve to call Steam greedy.

• Like 4

Microsoft Store made this back to a maybe as I don't mind Microsoft as much anymore and well, they ARE first party now.

Still, majorly disappointed, won't buy it at launch and a lot to make up for. Also generally the worst decision they could have made as they basically threw additional sales they gained through the transperency and the stance against microtransactions right out of the window again.

And no Epic's money won't make up for the lost sales nor the sales they will lose in the future due to their damaged image.

Edited by C2B

That's 12 extra months worth of patches and personal assesment over whether this game is worth the full price.

I can do that.

• Like 7

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Epic's cut is 12%, lower if the game uses unreal engine.

That's 40% of what Steam takes, while they offer only 5% of the functions Steam offers. And they have the nerve to call Steam greedy.

Its also clearly temporary, and developers will end up getting screwed in the end alongside the customers they're happily screwing now.

But a long term anti-consumer move for a short term larger slice of a smaller pie is exactly the sort of poorly thought out decision I'd expect from the current games industry.

Sales due to damaged reputation maybe, but Epic has probably paid them enough to be in the black even with 0 sales.

The only way to stop the cancer of exclusivity growing on PC is to not support exclusive games. 

Fortnite must be making them a ton of cash if they're able to pay for these many exclusives.

• Like 1

Microsoft Store made this back to a maybe as I don't mind Microsoft as much anymore and well, they ARE first party now.

Still, majorly disappointed, won't buy it at launch and a lot to make up for. Also generally the worst decision they could have made as they basically threw additional sales they gained through the transperency and the stance against microtransactions right out of the window again.

And no Epic's money won't make up for the lost sales nor the sales they will lose in the future due to their damaged image.

Epic's money might make up for the lost sales, but no amount of money can get the goodwill back. And it's even worse because it might be a publisher's decision, but it's always the dev's image getting hurt. 

That's one of the reason I hate EGS, they claim they wish the best for the developer, but in reality they only care about the interest of publishers.

Edited by jf8350143
  • Like 5

It's kind of funny that Epic's reputation among Extremely Online Gamers is so bad that this news would actually have been more well-received if the game ONLY launched on the Windows Store.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

I hope you guys (Obsidian) didn't have any say in this, because as a consumer, this is ****ty.

Please use this substandard platform to play our games!

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

People are understandably upset, but lets please leave the pirating references out of the discussion.

You also need to understand, people are angry. I've bought each game from Obsidian, and wanted to buy this one. But it seems to be that company does not care about me and other as for consumers. Now I'm not sure if I will buy this or any game in future. Awful feeling and shame on company decision...

• Like 1

It's kind of funny that Epic's reputation among Extremely Online Gamers is so bad that this news would actually have been more well-received if the game ONLY launched on the Windows Store.

Well it makes me open the Microsoft Store front page for the first time in my whole life.

I'd probably buy something from it for the first time in my whole life as well simply because of this. I'd say it's a relatively efficient way to adversite the windows store.

Hahaha! Straight from Snapshot forums to this. As a backer of Phoenix Point I will get Epic key and Gog after a year.

With Outer Worlds I will be waiting for release on other platforms (preferably GOG but steam will do). 

I am not upset. I can wait. I need new PC anyway. That gives me more time to build one. 

• Like 2

Well it makes me open the Microsoft Store front page for the first time in my whole life.

I'd probably buy something from it for the first time in my whole life as well simply because of this. I'd say it's a relatively efficient way to adversite the windows store.

The Windows Store is utter garbage though, I've used it for Forza games and it's been an issue for all three of the Forza games I've played through it, but at least it has user reviews, so it's got that over Epic's even lower effort attempt at a digital storefront.

Talk about having to choose between ebola and the plague.

• Like 1

Really stupid decision by Private Division and Microsoft. That's some bad PR you really don't want, especially after how well received the game initially was.

And naturally, it isn't Private Division and Microsoft taking the heat from casual twats. It's Obsidian. You've just bought a new studio and you start by doing this. PR wise this is exactly the move you should avoid. But I guess Epic paid enough dollars that no one cares for the developers burnt fanbase.

Question is: Which one is worse MGS or EGS? With other exclusives I'll just wait until I can get the game dirt cheap, might actually want to buy this at release date.

Edit: Just look at this thread. People are already cussing Obsidian, when it's not their decision. Just another proof that idiots have taken over the world.

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 5

Hate the living, love the dead.