Help Character Build - Devoted/Assassin or Devoted/Soulblade?

Hi,

for my new run on veteran / poftd i am looking for an PC with strong Single-Target Damage. I already have 2 other Companions who deal AoE, so I want to have an "Finisher" for special Single-Targets.

Therefore I decided for a Devoted Fighter with Dual Wield Swords (can also be 2H Spezilisation if it would be recommended).

But it should be Melee, not Ranged.

For better movement and to dive in the enemy backlines I thought about a assassin. But also a Soulblade came to my mind with Soul Annihilation.

Pro for Soulblade would be the passive +30% Weapon Damage and the SA-Damage.

Pro for Assassin would be the mobility and more active skills for finishing enemys fast.

Maybe you can give me some tips or hints, what would be better?

If you go for Soulblade don't pick Biting Whip since it's a lot worse than Draining Whip - also for dps. In it's current state Biting Whip is a trap choice for any cipher who wants to use his powers - including Soul Annihilation. If explanation is needed I can elaborate.

Assassin only makes sense if you utilize Stealth and invisibility. If not then the Streetfighter is better.

Once you get flanked and get bloodied you will do crazy crit damage. Unbending and a Devil's Breastplate with+2 AR on bloodied help to stay alive while Cleaving Stance and Crits will make short work of enemies.

Devoted/Trickster can manage to use Riposte even without shield (Vigorous Defense stacks with Mirrored Image). This can be nice in combination with Cleaving Stance.

Other strong yet sturdy damage dealers are Trickster/Nalpasca and Trickster/Soulblade. The latter can be outright tanky if you wish since Mirrored Image, Psychovampiric Shield and Borrowed Instinct stack. Riposte does generate Focus.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the tips, especial draining whip.

Yeah, i heared that streetfighter would be great, but I think with my playstyle it is a bit hard to get his passives goinig. I normally have a tank who is going straight forward, and so it will be hard to get flanked, when not going first in.

So on pure dmg Soulblade would be better than Assassin?

Thanks for the tips, especial draining whip.

Yeah, i heared that streetfighter would be great, but I think with my playstyle it is a bit hard to get his passives goinig. I normally have a tank who is going straight forward, and so it will be hard to get flanked, when not going first in.

So on pure dmg Soulblade would be better than Assassin?

in terms of pure damage, i think any rogue will do better than a soulblade due to sneak attack + deathblows. you pick up a cipher to also be able to cast lots of powers.

Deathblows comes very late with a multiclass while Soul Annihilation is your friend from lvl 1 on. I wouldn't say that a Devoted/Rogue always does more damage than a Devoted/Soulblade over the course of a playthrough. Cipher can get Borrowed Instinct which stacks with Disciplined Strikes, giving you a lot of crits with Soul Annihilation which works well enough with Devoted's passive and Cleaving Stance. Pure melee dmg potential is maybe higher for Devoted/Rogue in the end. But as you said: You're not only doing melee dmg but can also cast powers like Body Attunement and Borrowed Instinct which can also be a really nice help even if you wantto focus on melee. Recall Agony as well.

Wait: was the bug that kill by Soul Annihilation doesn't trigger Cleaving Stance ever fixed?

By the way: do Phantom Foes (flanked: -1 AR) and Body Attunement (-2 AR) stack? If so then Devoted (+2 PEN) + Soulblade (+1 PEN with Hammering Thoughts) would be a really nice "penetrator" even with the low-pen sword.  

Very nice dmg synergy is Rogue/Soulblade of course since all of the rogue's dmg bonuses apply to Soul Annihilation as well.

Edited by Boeroer

By the way: do Phantom Foes (flanked: -1 AR) and Body Attunement (-2 AR) stack? If so then Devoted (+2 PEN) + Soulblade (+1 PEN with Hammering Thoughts) would be a really nice "penetrator" even with the low-pen sword.  

nah, you'll only get the higher of phantom foes vs body attunement.  still, -2 AR plus +3 PEN basically means no penetration issues, ever. I had a recent run where I had a chanter with The Shield Breaks and combined with casting Champion's Boon or Thunderous Blows (+2 PEN) on important party members the buffed party members rarely ever had PEN issues throughout the game (basically limited to special fights). The +1 PEN might even just be overkill and basically mandate that you use a Sword (and then, wow, you can get another +2 PEN, suddenly Dorudugan doesn't look so tanky to bladed weapons anymore)

Very nice dmg synergy is Rogue/Soulblade of course since all of the rogue's dmg bonuses apply to Soul Annihilation as well.

Yeah, i know that this would maybe be the best synergy combination, but as I tried it was a bit squishy and so i changed to devoted for life regen and better survivability.

But so far as I see Devoted / Soulblade would be more versatile than a Assassin. So I think i will stick with it and give it a try.

Another final question. Is Dual Wield or a 2h Weapon better vor Devoted/Soulblade damage?

my non-expert opinion - the devoted erases in part one of the main advantages of a 2h weapon, which is the +1 PEN over "equivalent" one-handed weapons. i'd go dual-wield.

I'd say dual wielding once you have a Devoted/Soulblade. Just because in the early game a one handed setup is best. You can easily miss with Soul Annihilation and then your focus is zero with no damage done. It's very annoying.

The +12 ACC helps a lot to prevent that.

After a few levels that issue is gone and you can safely switch to a dual wielding setup.

This wouldn't be possible with a two handed weapon. Except if you'd pick Battle Axes - but the single dmg type is off-putting.

Edited by Boeroer

Actually, ascendant is a better choice for devoted in my opinion. For soulblade sublass, generally youll be stuck to the soul anhilation, for ascended, you can use 600+ focus in only one ascended phase you can use/spamm every spell in your arsenal! Also, ascendant matches very well with active and passive bonuses of devoted. Dont underestimate ascended phase spell spams, for early game one handed style and Mind Blades spam, later, randed or dual wield Amplified Wave spam is totally HILARIOUS.

If you want to stick to the soulblade, just use sword proficiency and two-weapon sytle  [griffin blade(10%spell damage)+Modwyr(good and enjoyable) for example]  after 8th level (before 8, one handed style is better), and grab all good devoted and soulblade passives and devoted active buffs. (Disciplined Strikes and Draining Whip are key choices)

Edited by Enurale

In my opinion Ascendant is not the right choice - if you want high melee damage.

For casting the occasional power a Soulblade is as good as any cipher (even better if the occasional power is a Shred power).

Ascendant is nice if you want to spam powers while ascended. But this doesn't seem to fit the OP's description too well:

- dual wielding swords

- melee

- single target dmg

- "I already have 2 other Companions who deal AoE"

Soulblade is a nice combination of melee damage and occasional cipher power use. Most likely you will be mainly using Soul Annihilation - because it's great as single target melee damage tool. But in no way are you stuck to it. Shred powers are cheaper for a Soul Blade. So stuff like Recall Agony on a tough boss or an occasional Disintegration on a high deflection but low fort enemy are still viable and nice options.

Ascendant really shines if you are a power spammer - especially if you have abilites that either buff attack speed and recovery (like with Ascendant/Barbarian for example or single class Ascendant with Time Parasite or Ascended Streetfigher with Heating Up) or extend the duration of Ascended (Priest's Salvation of Time, Wizard's Draining Wall) or both (like Helwalker's Swift Strikes and +10 INT bonus) so that you can squeeze more casts into your ascended phase.

Ascendant never appeared to me as a particularly great fit for a Devoted (especially if you want to focus on melee single target damage). The PEN bonus doesn't work for the powers you mentioned (unlike Tenacious from Monk or Berserker), also the increased crit damage is only for your proficient weapon. The only thing that's maybe cool about Fighter/Ascendant is Disciplined Strikes/ Tactical Barrage and the ability to fill your focus completely with a use of Clear Out.

Or am I missing something here? thinking_emoji.png?dl=1

By the way: I tested Soul Annihilation + Cleaving Stance and it still doesn't trigger if you kill with SA. Will bump the bug report...

edit: made a new one since I coulnd't find the old one.  :unsure:

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

In my opinion Ascendant is not the right choice - if you want high melee damage.

For casting the occasional power a Soulblade is as good as any cipher (even better if the occasional power is a Shred power).

Ascendant is nice if you want to spam powers while ascended. But this doesn't seem to fit the OP's description too well:

- dual wielding swords

- melee

- single target dmg

- "I already have 2 other Companions who deal AoE"

Soulblade is a nice combination of melee damage and occasional cipher power use. Most likely you will be mainly using Soul Annihilation - because it's great as single target melee damage tool. But in no way are you stuck to it. Shred powers are cheaper for a Soul Blade. So stuff like Recall Agony on a tough boss or an occasional Disintegration on a high deflection but low fort enemy are still viable and nice options.

Ascendant really shines if you are a power spammer - especially if you have abilites that either buff attack speed and recovery (like with Ascendant/Barbarian for example or single class Ascendant with Time Parasite or Ascended Streetfigher with Heating Up) or extend the duration of Ascended (Priest's Salvation of Time, Wizard's Draining Wall) or both (like Helwalker's Swift Strikes and +10 INT bonus) so that you can squeeze more casts into your ascended phase.

Ascendant never appeared to me as a particularly great fit for a Devoted (especially if you want to focus on melee single target damage). The PEN bonus doesn't work for the powers you mentioned (unlike Tenacious from Monk or Berserker), also the increased crit damage is only for your proficient weapon. The only thing that's maybe cool about Fighter/Ascendant is Disciplined Strikes/ Tactical Barrage and the ability to fill your focus completely with a use of Clear Out.

Or am I missing something here? thinking_emoji.png?dl=1

No probably youre not missing anything. :) And your advises matches better with original poster.

My point is (IMO), ascendant is better subclass than soulblade for everything, "except" single target "melee" damage. Ascendaants +3 PL and Zero cost almost extendable to 1minute, and thanks to devoted you can be ascended again very quickly. Im speaking about owerall power and most of combat needs in the game, just saying as an another viewing angle for main character.

As you know, main thing for ascendant; extending ascended phase and minimalizing weapon damage phase time for most of combats. So higher, faster, accurate, penetrating damage with weapons is better for reaching ascended phase faster. For this angle, the best match for ascendant is devoted imo, (and yes, especially with a ranged weapon -essence interrupter, if bugs can be solved- but melee works very well too) Multiclassing causes a harder early game, because lack of defenses of this combination, ascendant takes advantage in this situation, because you can stay at safe distance while ascended.

Ascendant + Devoted Bonuses:

25% more weapon Crit damage - Devoted

+2 more weapon Penetration - Devoted

+3 extra Power Level and zero focus cost for cipher spells while ascended - Ascendant

10% more weapon damage %150 focus gain - Cipher

+10 Accuracy for will attacks - Cipher

10% more Crit damage - Fighter

15% total passive damage bonus - Fighter

%5 more crit and resistances - Fighter

-25% armor recovery penalty - Fighter

50% more damage + 15 accuracy for diengagement attacks - Fighter

Intuitive Inspiration (if you can get Acute from priest, otherwise Tactical Barrage works very well) - Fighter

Less Recovery time or More Accuracy bonus from stances - Fighter

+1 more penetration for Spells and Weapon damage - Cipher

30% grazes to hit (CA) - Fighter

Many other offensive and defensive passive buffes in general - Fighter, weapon style, cipher

Try it with two weapon style pistol proficiency (while helding griffin blade on the offhand, also pistol is not stuck to the one weapon damage type, thanks to scordeo+eccaea) or sword proficiency, (or ideally essence interrupter bow proficiency after fix) that combo is powerful especially with "brilliant" buffed priest's salvation of time combo, endless loop.

Edited by Enurale

The devoted bonusses only count for the weapon you choose, not for Cipher spells. I don't understand the wish to combine a melee and a caster class together and then say it works. I wouldn't go for ascendant and any melee build whatsoever. If you play ascendant you'll want to max dexterity, perception and intelligence. Everything else, save might can be skipped.

Ascendant has less damage on melee abilities until ascended. And then you have unlimited casts, then why stay melee? It makes no sense to me to go this route. Soulblade/tricktster is much better if you want to have single target melee damage.

The devoted bonusses only count for the weapon you choose, not for Cipher spells. I don't understand the wish to combine a melee and a caster class together and then say it works. I wouldn't go for ascendant and any melee build whatsoever. If you play ascendant you'll want to max dexterity, perception and intelligence. Everything else, save might can be skipped.

Ascendant has less damage on melee abilities until ascended. And then you have unlimited casts, then why stay melee? It makes no sense to me to go this route. Soulblade/tricktster is much better if you want to have single target melee damage.

I never said devoted bonuses affects spells, i said  "as you know, main thing for ascendant; extending ascended phase and minimalizing weapon damage phase" and devoted works very well with ascendant for shortening weapon phase.

Edited by Enurale

I never said devoted bonuses affects spells, i said  "as you know, main thing for ascendant; extending ascended phase and minimalizing weapon damage phase" and devoted works very well with ascendant for shortening weapon phase.

to support this perspective, to me a cipher's biggest weakness is underpenetration (except for psion) and a devoted helps with that a lot. fighter also gets disciplined barrage (and upgrades) and having a 100% uptime aware inspiration (upgradable to intuitive or combined with acute) is a huge boon for getting to ascended status, too (and tactical barrage's acute will make it last longer, if you don't want to go in for salvation of time loop). the aware (or intuitive) inspiration will also help your ascended powers to connect.

Edited by thelee

My pure Ascendant spends like 1 to 3 seconds per battle in "weapon" stage. Once you get Kitchen stove you don't need anything else. Unless you're fighting a single target enemy with tons of armor, but even then I found it's not really an issue. The issue for me with multiclassing ascendant is that it takes forever for it to become strong. You'll be spending most of the game fighting with weapons to be effective until you get to that tipping point where spell damage is better.

Helwalker/Ascendant and Berserker/Ascendant still seem to be a better choice (both can get +2+1 PEN and either a long Ascended uptime with +10 INT and also huge AoE or total removal of recovery and speeding up casting time). Both also do generate focus very quickly. Don't know how a Devoted wants to beat that. But that's maybe something for another thread.

Streetfighter/Soulblade I tried again and what's particularly awesome ist that if you get flanked and bloodied your Soul Annihilation will also get the Streetfighter's increased sneak attack and crit bonus.

Edited by Boeroer

Im playing devoted/ascendant with 18/3/18/18/18/3 stats and no rest, many other classes include monks ideally requires more con and i dont like investing to other stats. Try devoted with essence interrupter bow. Extra acc, no minus crit damage (unlike firearms) and double damage type creates a marwel for weapon phase with devoted/cipher bonuses. Also this build even better at late game, monks better as single class imo.

Ill look into monk multi again but i prefer devoted bonuses atm. :)

Edited by Enurale