I'm on my first full play through, around 14th level, and have not traveled to the Ashen Maw for He Waits in Fire yet. Is it better to play the 3 expansions before finishing the main game or vice versa? I'm thinking in terms of game flow, access to items, and challenge. Opinions are appreciated!

I'm on my first full play through, around 14th level, and have not traveled to the Ashen Maw for He Waits in Fire yet. Is it better to play the 3 expansions before finishing the main game or vice versa? I'm thinking in terms of game flow, access to items, and challenge. Opinions are appreciated!

fyi, in case you meant it this way, you can't do anything after you beat the main game - it's complete game over. you do have a save before you go past the "point of no return", but it's just a few encounters after that.

BoW is good at level 14, but SSS and FS target much higher level. if you're going to do ashen maw, i'd go ahead and do it now because the DLCs are harder challenges the main quest. doing the expansions basically resigns you to being completely overleveled for the main quest (FS target level is like level 19-20) unless you have downscaling enabled and attempt the DLCs at lower levels.

• Like 1

Also expansions act as any other quests, so you are not locked into doing them in one go once you start. You should be able to do BoW before Ashen Maw and there is a fight there early on which should give you an idea whenever you should soldier forward or go back, SSS won't trigger until after Ashen Maw (I think) and Forgotten Sanctum is late game content. I mean you can go there, but they will smash your face.