The Charred Barrel - am I not powerful enough yet?

So I'm struggling my way through this game and my characters have just reached level 5 - most of them.  I'm in Act 2, day 17 or something.  I get the message to go to the Charred Barrel and meet the group and am getting absolutely slaughtered.  I can't even kill one of them!

Am I really that underleveled thus far??  Same with Cliaban Riag - those druids and swamp critters are just facerolling me.

Yes level 5 probably seems a little low for those fights. There should be lots of missions in Defiance Bay you can do to level up some or trying a few levels of Caed Nua. That overall mission arch with the charred barrel has branches all over the world you dont need to complete it any time remotely soon. Have you done the other two main mission quests already. The ones in Undying Heritage and The Man Who Waits if not i would do those first. It seems like you should be higher level by now. i usually reach defiance bay around 4-5 and then with doing a few quest you get to 6-7 pretty fast. 

This happens sometimes. This game is pretty open and you will find enemies that will kick your butt but with some levels and gear and abilities you will be fine. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

That would be A Return to Court. Captain Emery is high level. But it's probably better to reach benevolent 2 or cruel 2 and convince her to stand down. Gives you a much better option later in the game :) Gaining this should be easy to do, especially benevolent. I'd do it as soon as possible so you can complete A return to Court. Gives some nice bonusses to your keep.

Rule of thumb is: if enemies are too strong then you are too low level. Earlier incarnations of games like this were quite similar. I also think people are kind of touchy when the game ramps up its difficulty in certain parts. Like the game is pestering them. I don't remember people complaining about BG when it came out or even afterwards saying things like: Hi, I'm level 1 and I'm fighting these enemies called ankhegs and they one shot me. Screw this! Well you know what I mean :p

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

Level 5 is too low for that encounter. And it's a ton too low for Cliaban Rilag. You should do more side quests in Defiance Bay first. Finish all quests that start in Copperlane first. Don't push the critical path.    

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods