Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

game wasted opportunities with Pallegina

pallegina romance

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Verde

Verde

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1661 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
You're right tho, she is self loathing and the decision to come crawling back to the VTC only further supports that. I hate to say it, but like an abuse victim :(.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 741 posts

You're right tho, she is self loathing and the decision to come crawling back to the VTC only further supports that. I hate to say it, but like an abuse victim :(.

Well her back story is all about inflicting self harm. It's quite disturbing.

Frak

Frak

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 444 posts

So if someone disowned you and made you lose everything you'd instantly join back up with them and try even harder? I have more pride than that I guess. Then again I'm not a one dimensional bird lady.

No, not I. But Pallegina have had a lonely and pretty rough upbringing. I'm reading her as someone who wants to belong somewhere, fully belong. And she have, through her life, come to see the ducs and the republics as that, a form of hearth.

Just because they cast her aside, she can't stop loving the republics. She's zealous. She's bonded with them.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 741 posts

So if someone disowned you and made you lose everything you'd instantly join back up with them and try even harder? I have more pride than that I guess. Then again I'm not a one dimensional bird lady.

No, not I. But Pallegina have had a lonely and pretty rough upbringing. I'm reading her as someone who wants to belong somewhere, fully belong. And she have, through her life, come to see the ducs and the republics as that, a form of hearth.

Just because they cast her aside, she can't stop loving the republics. She's zealous. She's bonded with them.

Yea that's also one of the reasons I don't like her. She's just so stupid. Needing someone to care for her and accept her as she is and then following those that care not one bit for her. It would've made far more sense that she bonded with the watcher and co.

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 308 posts
her sidequest reveals that the republics' forward thinking made her life bearable. she might have taken her own life otherwise. it makes total sense that shed want that for the rest of the world, especially for other people in the same situation she was, so shes batting for the folk most likely to provide that.

i dont think shes as needy as people are making out. I dont think she cares much for the approval of her peers and bosses - or anyone - much at all, only to the point where losing too much of it directly endangers her crusade. i dont think a sense of belonging is that high up her list of priorities. *purpose* on the other hand, deffo.

I reckon she differentiates between the 'national spirit', that inspired the means to her salvation, and the flawed people she has to work with in order to promote it. She seems to believe in some kind of jungian collective unconsiousness that unites vailians rather than individuals or organisations.

To nick a comparison sawyer might approve of, is like how cadfael remains committed to the cowl even if he butts heads with his superiors. Cadfael seems more at peace than pallegina tho, who'll need one hell of an arc to settle down, if she settles at all.
  • Hawke64 and Frak like this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 726 posts

Actually, Pallegina's devotion to Republics make sense - Republics take her to palladin's order, allowing her to take honoured post and became a consummate and respectful member of society. Otherwise she ended up her life in her homevillage, being degraded by other people, or even worse - dead. The same for Giacolo.

I think, those peoples, who wonder about her zeal and motives, just paid not enough attention to her backstory in PoE 1. The only flaw in this, that we can convince her to obbey the orders - honestly i think a woman of such kind and faith more likely should try to kill us, instead of listening those crap: "Hey, tella Pallegina, Republics gave you everything, so you should betray them now and obbey your orders, becose it will be bad for Dyrwood". Nonsense.

Edited by Phenomenum, 22 March 2019 - 11:11 AM.

• Hawke64 likes this

Verde

Verde

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1661 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
For the record, you guys are right. She is written that way. What's frustrating is there just isn't that much there to her in Deadfire. Her companion quest is weird but creative, but it's all still tell don't show (protip - show don't tell). I think she would have been the most interesting romance by far esp bc she can't have children as a Godlike. Overall it seems Obs shares the same opinion about Palle that she does ;)

Edited by Verde, 22 March 2019 - 01:26 PM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 741 posts

Actually, Pallegina's devotion to Republics make sense - Republics take her to palladin's order, allowing her to take honoured post and became a consummate and respectful member of society. Otherwise she ended up her life in her homevillage, being degraded by other people, or even worse - dead. The same for Giacolo.

I think, those peoples, who wonder about her zeal and motives, just paid not enough attention to her backstory in PoE 1. The only flaw in this, that we can convince her to obbey the orders - honestly i think a woman of such kind and faith more likely should try to kill us, instead of listening those crap: "Hey, tella Pallegina, Republics gave you everything, so you should betray them now and obbey your orders, becose it will be bad for Dyrwood". Nonsense.

If she were like that then I'd probably kill her alongside Durance. Good riddance.

Overcome your hometown dread by joining the republics and becoming a paladin, only to spout your zeal at the wrong person and end up disintegrated. Life doesn't go or end well for people like her or Durance.

Edited by AeonsLegend, 22 March 2019 - 05:51 PM.

napsstern

napsstern

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts

She disobeyed her orders because she thought this would benefit the Republic. In the long run. That's the part lacking in her peraonality in poe2. She is loyal to the Republic 100 percent, sure. But loyalty and obedience are two different things.

I got the exiled ending so her change in poe2 makes sense. After a hard time she decides listening to you is bad idea and won't risk doing it ever again. Don't know how other endings play out.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 741 posts

She disobeyed her orders because she thought this would benefit the Republic. In the long run. That's the part lacking in her peraonality in poe2. She is loyal to the Republic 100 percent, sure. But loyalty and obedience are two different things.

I got the exiled ending so her change in poe2 makes sense. After a hard time she decides listening to you is bad idea and won't risk doing it ever again. Don't know how other endings play out.

The main issue is that she doesn't blame herself, but blames you for the repercusions of her decision to disobey orders. Thinking about it, she felt her decision to disobey was the correct ones and she accepted anything the Republics would do. It was their decision to take her from the order. Why not blame them? It's an incredible sign of weakness on her part to blame the people around her for her own misfortune. 

Edited by AeonsLegend, 25 March 2019 - 05:37 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pallegina, romance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users