game wasted opportunities with Pallegina

Actually, Pallegina's devotion to Republics make sense - Republics take her to palladin's order, allowing her to take honoured post and became a consummate and respectful member of society. Otherwise she ended up her life in her homevillage, being degraded by other people, or even worse - dead. The same for Giacolo.

I think, those peoples, who wonder about her zeal and motives, just paid not enough attention to her backstory in PoE 1. The only flaw in this, that we can convince her to obbey the orders - honestly i think a woman of such kind and faith more likely should try to kill us, instead of listening those crap: "Hey, tella Pallegina, Republics gave you everything, so you should betray them now and obbey your orders, becose it will be bad for Dyrwood". Nonsense.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 1

For the record, you guys are right. She is written that way. What's frustrating is there just isn't that much there to her in Deadfire. Her companion quest is weird but creative, but it's all still tell don't show (protip - show don't tell). I think she would have been the most interesting romance by far esp bc she can't have children as a Godlike. Overall it seems Obs shares the same opinion about Palle that she does ;)

Edited by Verde
  • Like 1

Actually, Pallegina's devotion to Republics make sense - Republics take her to palladin's order, allowing her to take honoured post and became a consummate and respectful member of society. Otherwise she ended up her life in her homevillage, being degraded by other people, or even worse - dead. The same for Giacolo.

I think, those peoples, who wonder about her zeal and motives, just paid not enough attention to her backstory in PoE 1. The only flaw in this, that we can convince her to obbey the orders - honestly i think a woman of such kind and faith more likely should try to kill us, instead of listening those crap: "Hey, tella Pallegina, Republics gave you everything, so you should betray them now and obbey your orders, becose it will be bad for Dyrwood". Nonsense.

If she were like that then I'd probably kill her alongside Durance. Good riddance.

Overcome your hometown dread by joining the republics and becoming a paladin, only to spout your zeal at the wrong person and end up disintegrated. Life doesn't go or end well for people like her or Durance.

Edited by AeonsLegend

She disobeyed her orders because she thought this would benefit the Republic. In the long run. That's the part lacking in her peraonality in poe2. She is loyal to the Republic 100 percent, sure. But loyalty and obedience are two different things.

I got the exiled ending so her change in poe2 makes sense. After a hard time she decides listening to you is bad idea and won't risk doing it ever again. Don't know how other endings play out.

She disobeyed her orders because she thought this would benefit the Republic. In the long run. That's the part lacking in her peraonality in poe2. She is loyal to the Republic 100 percent, sure. But loyalty and obedience are two different things.

I got the exiled ending so her change in poe2 makes sense. After a hard time she decides listening to you is bad idea and won't risk doing it ever again. Don't know how other endings play out.

The main issue is that she doesn't blame herself, but blames you for the repercusions of her decision to disobey orders. Thinking about it, she felt her decision to disobey was the correct ones and she accepted anything the Republics would do. It was their decision to take her from the order. Why not blame them? It's an incredible sign of weakness on her part to blame the people around her for her own misfortune. 

Edited by AeonsLegend

• 1 month later...

Just think.  pallegina could indded have been the POE version of Viconia. she could have been a complicated romance and a character  whose personality  the player could mould .  This would also make her conflict with Xoti even more interesting.

3 hours ago, nouser said:

Just think.  pallegina could indded have been the POE version of Viconia. she could have been a complicated romance and a character  whose personality  the player could mould .  This would also make her conflict with Xoti even more interesting.

Now you're insulting Viconia. A LOT. The two are nothing alike.

I for one am glad she isn’t romanceable - she has defined path and life goals, and having random dude wanting to bed her changing that would be disappointing. The thing is: Pal isn’t evil or wrong. You shouldn’t be able to change her, simply because she doesn’t fit your characters viewpoints. Unlike most RPG companions, Deadfire companions aren’t there because they are lost, or need a strong leader, but because they want something from you. Pal wants to ensure, that your will support her faction and in return she will help you to reclaim you soul.

I feel that Pal suffers for the way companions are handled just as every other character does. For the most part companions role is reduced to responding to what you say and do - each likes/dislikes are pretty limited. In case of Pal it’s: me like Valians, me dislike Gods. That’s not in conflict with her character, but as she expresses her feelings often, she does come out as a one note and shallow character. 

Due to its more restrictive nature PoE1 managed to explore a paladin who was loyal, but had doubts if her orders are actually beneficial to the cause. That was interesting. Ideally, the sequel would explore in-depth repercussions of that decision. Alas, no matter what happened she goes back to bit more bitter square one, and becomes the mouthpiece of one of the factions, without no interesting direction nor dilemma. He personal quests is there to explain, why her look is inconsistent with other godlike, and much like Deadfire overall, focuses on lore and seeding plot details rather then the character. Nothing as sympathetic and compelling as her confrontation with Hylea in the Council of Stars in PoE1.

11 hours ago, Verde said:

Random dude?! Understatement of the Year haha.

Or dudess. Sorry.

You think talking to dead people is an effective aphrodisiac? Or going insane? Or getting killed and resurrected, and spasmic in the city harbour summoning spirits from the beyond? Sounds more like Xoti's thing. 

On 3/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, Phenomenum said:

Actually, Pallegina's devotion to Republics make sense - Republics take her to palladin's order, allowing her to take honoured post and became a consummate and respectful member of society.

pallegina only makes sense complete insulated from poe. as such you must mean deadfire pallegina's devotion makes sense, 'cause in  poe1, she were able to consider a greater good beyond the Ducs. infact, she might even eventual go off and join the kind wayfarers who obviously welcomed her following her disgrace and exile by the Ducs. nevertheless, with the kind wayfarer end, pallegina felt like an outsider (insert sad-face emoji) and eventual groveled her way back into the Duc's good graces after a few years, a fate she  blames on the watcher.

pallegina's devotion in poe were to the Ducs, but more important were dedication to ideals. the paladin made a choice knowing the likely consequences. the possibility she would choose to betray the trust o' the Ducs were specific written into poe.

kind wayfarer pallegina, after suffering a couple years o' loneliness, came to regret her choice and her devotion to right and justice. poe2 pallegina, embracing the zealotry o' a convert, abases herself before the Ducs and then becomes the Republic devotee you describe.

blame the gods. blame the watcher. 

bah.

the Ducs are the one's who exiled pallegina for doing what she believed were right, for following the code she were taught by the Republics, but is the Ducs to whom she crawls seeking salvation and mercy.

is nothing wrong with writing pallegina as an overt contempt-worthy lickspittle. woulda' been intriguing if josh did such. instead, he writes pallegina as one confident in her honor in spite o' fact she is clear an irresponsible hypocrite.

josh took conflict outta the character. amputated the potential for growth. worst deadfire companion.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I feel other then some improvements to gameplay the whole game was a missed opportunity and there were other companions that didn't make the sequel that I miss more. I sacrificed Pallegina in poe as I wasn't a fan of the Vailian Trade Company and felt just like they she couldn't be trusted. Plus for some reason looking at her at times gave me the urge to want to hit her with a club, pluck her, roast her, and then serve dinner for me and the rest of my companions. 

• Like 1