game wasted opportunities with Pallegina

Pallegina should have been like Viconia in baldurs gate.. through dialogues (perhaps through romance) , your character should have been able to change pallegina views regarding the republics, changing pallegina personality. dont undestand why pallegina in poe2 lacked criticism for the republics. i think the player should have been able to mold pallegina views like in poe1.

• Like 2

Ehh. What I liked about PoE1 Pallegina and missed in Deadfire Pal, is that she wasn't so zealous nor she followed her orders blindly.

Hm. It was always strange for me, in PoE 1 - Pallegina could obbey the orders becose of... becose you can chat for 1 minute with her and convince trained and devoted soldier/paladin to obbey her orders. Great.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

Pallegina should have been like Viconia in baldurs gate.. through dialogues (perhaps through romance) , your character should have been able to change pallegina views regarding the republics, changing pallegina personality. dont undestand why pallegina in poe2 lacked criticism for the republics. i think the player should have been able to mold pallegina views like in poe1.

She's the mirror of Maia.  Pallegina is a Vaillian patriot.  Maia is a Rautian patriot.   And remember that both are representatives of their faction, so it shouldn't come as a shock that they're difficult if not impossible to sway away from their faction.  Also, don't forget that Sarafen and Tekehu are also staunch defenders of their factions as well.  So, it really comes down to the design of Deadfire's faction system and how 4 of the companions are very loyal to their factions.  And it seems to me that it'd screw up the overall balance of these 4 companions if only one of them wasn't nearly as strong a defender of his/her faction as the others.

I suppose that the devs could have designed things in such a way that none of the companions were strongly tied to a faction, but that might have seemed weird for Maia, Pallegina, Tekehu, or Sarafen.  I tend to think that if they'd not wanted any faction-tied companions, the devs would have had to develop 4 very different companions who clearly had no love for any faction.

Game wasted opportunities yet you fail to mention voltron/ power ranger robots that the watcher and crew can pilot. We fight eothas in a losing effort until we combine our individual robots into one gigantic robot where we finally subdue eothas with our lightning fire sword dramatic finisher attack. Engrim later gives a brief speech getting us to understand we had the real secret weapon to defeating him all along: working together.

But no you keep on about pallagina sweetie.

Edited by asnjas
  • Like 1

the struggle between order and conscious in poe1 are given to maia

all pellagina do in deadfire is agreeing with vtc

it was a weird choice

why not just put all the content about pellagina and maia in pellagina to make one whole character and bring back kana to represent rdc again?

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Like 1

In PoE Pallegina was very easy going and it wasn't very hard to nudge her to change the republics wishes when dealing with the anamenfath. She knew what this meant and was full ready to accept the consequences if there were any. Then when you meet her in PoEII she blames YOU for the decision SHE made. Bitch.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

it was a weird choice

why not just put all the content about pellagina and maia in pellagina to make one whole character and bring back kana to represent rdc again?

Hm, I don't see Kana killing Queen Onekaza II and being ok with that.

it was a weird choice

Hm, I don't see Kana killing Queen Onekaza II and being ok with that.

yes

then vtc and rdc will both have a patriot that doesn't agree with the company's most ruthless action

that is rpg companion routine but it works

I haven't gotten that far in Deadfire, but somehow Pallegina makes a bit more sense to me in Deadfire. She's a paladin. She's supposed to be single-minded and zealous. She a -ing fanatic.

• Like 2

Nerf Troubadour!

I haven't gotten that far in Deadfire, but somehow Pallegina makes a bit more sense to me in Deadfire. She's a paladin. She's supposed to be single-minded and zealous. She a -ing fanatic.

Even if she joined the Kind Wayfarers in PoE or was exiled from the Republics :p?

Edited by Verde
  • Like 1

Well, her action in POE "betrayed" the ducs and the republic. She was disowned and lost everything that mattered to her. I would almost have expected her to pull an Alistair and become a drunkard.

Then they take her back. No wonder she becomes even more dedicated. She's not gonna let the ducs down again. 

• Like 4

Nerf Troubadour!

Ehh. What I liked about PoE1 Pallegina and missed in Deadfire Pal, is that she wasn't so zealous nor she followed her orders blindly.

But PoE1 dilemma wasn't about supporting Valians, it was whenever to follow order if she believes it is not the best move for the republics.

In Deadfire her path is pretty straightforward.

Well, her action in POE "betrayed" the ducs and the republic. She was disowned and lost everything that mattered to her. I would almost have expected her to pull an Alistair and become a drunkard.

Then they take her back. No wonder she becomes even more dedicated. She's not gonna let the ducs down again.

It does make sense, though I feel there is little exploration of that in game. I wish they would implement some content what would explore distrust VTC might feel toward her and her determination to regain their confidence.
  • Like 1

it was a weird choice

Because I think that the writers saw the character in the role of Maia as a Rauatian soldier, not a Rauatian intellectual.  I don't think that Kana would have fit into that position at all.

Isn't zeal kind of a defining aspect of her class?

Maybe she would have more zeal points if she were more zealous.

What are we talking about now?

So if someone disowned you and made you lose everything you'd instantly join back up with them and try even harder? I have more pride than that I guess. Then again I'm not a one dimensional bird lady. Edited by Verde
  • Like 1

So if someone disowned you and made you lose everything you'd instantly join back up with them and try even harder? I have more pride than that I guess. Then again I'm not a one dimensional bird lady.

Well given that Pallegina hates everything about herself, maybe this is her way of continuous torment. 

You know, hearing Pallegina's backstory in PoEII made me dislike her even more. She's just an idiot. And also a broken individual. Can't have her give her oppinions on anything. It will be laden with self crucifiction and disdain for anything close to her being. Totally untrustworthy.

So if someone disowned you and made you lose everything you'd instantly join back up with them and try even harder? I have more pride than that I guess. Then again I'm not a one dimensional bird lady.

No, not I. But Pallegina have had a lonely and pretty rough upbringing. I'm reading her as someone who wants to belong somewhere, fully belong. And she have, through her life, come to see the ducs and the republics as that, a form of hearth.

Just because they cast her aside, she can't stop loving the republics. She's zealous. She's bonded with them.

Nerf Troubadour!

No, not I. But Pallegina have had a lonely and pretty rough upbringing. I'm reading her as someone who wants to belong somewhere, fully belong. And she have, through her life, come to see the ducs and the republics as that, a form of hearth.

Just because they cast her aside, she can't stop loving the republics. She's zealous. She's bonded with them.

Yea that's also one of the reasons I don't like her. She's just so stupid. Needing someone to care for her and accept her as she is and then following those that care not one bit for her. It would've made far more sense that she bonded with the watcher and co.

her sidequest reveals that the republics' forward thinking made her life bearable. she might have taken her own life otherwise. it makes total sense that shed want that for the rest of the world, especially for other people in the same situation she was, so shes batting for the folk most likely to provide that.

i dont think shes as needy as people are making out. I dont think she cares much for the approval of her peers and bosses - or anyone - much at all, only to the point where losing too much of it directly endangers her crusade. i dont think a sense of belonging is that high up her list of priorities. *purpose* on the other hand, deffo.

I reckon she differentiates between the 'national spirit', that inspired the means to her salvation, and the flawed people she has to work with in order to promote it. She seems to believe in some kind of jungian collective unconsiousness that unites vailians rather than individuals or organisations.

To nick a comparison sawyer might approve of, is like how cadfael remains committed to the cowl even if he butts heads with his superiors. Cadfael seems more at peace than pallegina tho, who'll need one hell of an arc to settle down, if she settles at all.

• Like 2

I AM A RENISANCE MAN