UPDATE:

Here is the party based on suggestions so far. Further suggestions are welcome.

PC: Mindstalker (streetfighter/soul blade) - I've decided to go with mindstalker, which I haven't played since 1.0 and even then it was ranged. Never played soul blade. I didn't go trickster due to rest of party being there to keep him alive.

• Any suggested build or key abilities?
  • Rogue has so many choices for active attacks - which make the most sense? I tend to limit myself to crippling strike and finishing/devestating blow in other builds. It especially seems like I won't need many if I am spamming soul annihilation.
  • What cipher spells make sense?
  • What support characters would you suggest for this mindstalker?

NPC1: Shieldbearer/Unbroken (Lay on Hands, exhortations, and tank) - Will a pure tank be needed? I don't want to harm the PC's ability to get flanked/heating up.

NPC2: Troubador/Priest (buffs and debuffs) - Can we discuss which buffs & debuffs should be used? What stacks, what doesn't? How to we get the most out of it?

NPC3: Druid/Wizard (buffs anddebuffs) - same as above.

NPC4: Furyshaper multiclass (with what? Beguiler was suggested, but as others noted it will need to do damage to get focus.) (Totems)

ORIGINAL POST:

I'd like to try my next run through the game with the following criteria:

-The PC will be a melee character and will be the sole damage dealer in the party. He will get as close to 100% of the total party damage as possible.

-The other 4  party members will be set to passive AI. They will heal, buff, and otherwise support the PC, debuff enemies, and will also need to be able to survive themselves.

-POTD and I will use a mod to to change NPCs to whatever classes I want.

-I don't care about beating megabosses.

-I don't want to use summons.

My questions are:

1) What class and build would you suggest for the PC? What gear would such a build need?

It seems he should be able to be built at least somehwhat as a glass canon with all the other party members as healing and support, but at the same time if he dies it will be very hard to win, so he can't be so squishy that he instantly faceplants at the start of the fight.

It seems like he should be more single-target damage oriented so he can kill bosses, but I don't know how much this might be an issue. He will also need to be able to kill all enemy types.

There isn't a tank in this party, so will the PC need to carry a lot of engagement slot gear to keep enemies off the rest of the party? On the other hand, I shouldn't build the rest of the party as squishies.

2) What kind of support classes and builds would you include with the party? Are there any that would synergize well with the PC (whatever he may end up being)? Party synergies are always a welcome addition.

If they aren't focussed on debuffing, they can probably tank their perception in favor of other stats.

I know I am asking a very open-ended question but I appreciate all input.

Edited by zendingo

I like the Fanatic, you can do damage but are also semi tanky.

The best debuffer/CC is the cipher but that has to do damage to work.

Chanter for sure, most likely a Troub. (buffs and debuffs)

Priest (buffs).

Wizard (for debuffs)

Last slot maybe a second pally for the additional chant, Lay on Hands, actually spec him for using the exhortations, and can off-tank if really needed.

I'd advise having a Chanter/Priest multiclass as support and a Druid/Wizard Multiclass maybe even a Furyshaper multiclass or single class because the totems are useful and can be off-tank I'd highly recommend Shieldbearer paladin with unbroken as a support/tank since it is a tank who doesn't really do any dmg yet engages a lot of enemies. For Dps i'd actually go for a ranged if not go for a Brute Fighter Barbarian DW.

I'd advise having a Chanter/Priest multiclass as support and a Druid/Wizard Multiclass maybe even a Furyshaper multiclass or single class because the totems are useful and can be off-tank I'd highly recommend Shieldbearer paladin with unbroken as a support/tank since it is a tank who doesn't really do any dmg yet engages a lot of enemies. For Dps i'd actually go for a ranged if not go for a Brute Fighter Barbarian DW.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do, however, want to keep the PC as a melee, not a ranged.

Streetfighter/Soulblade or Streetfighter/Helwalker are both very strong damage dealers.

Single class monk is also very strong but this will only become obvious at later levels while for example Streetfighter/Soulblade (with Rapier+modal as recommendation) starts very strong into the game.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Streetfighter/Soulblade or Streetfighter/Helwalker are both very strong damage dealers.

Single class monk is also very strong but this will only become obvious at later levels while for example Streetfighter/Soulblade (with Rapier+modal as recommendation) starts very strong into the game.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried melee streetfighters in the past and found that I was "looking for a fight" 90% of the time. That's due in large part because I normally use a tank who goes in first and gathers up all the enemies. So although I forgot to mention this, I had in mind that the party setup I envisioned could be much more conducive for a melee streetfighter to thrive. I'm not dead set on this, but I am certainly intruiged by the idea. Now would a shadowdancer with helwalker be able to survive without a tank? If a tank is needed, is it going to be too much trouble to start "heating up"? I know late game it should be no problem, but I have to keep in mind the whole journey to late game.

NPC4: Furyshaper multiclass (with what?) (Totems)

Ranged Furyshaper / beguiler is a great debuffer

- furyshaper give you speed + damage boost for focus + team buff/cc with ward

- beguiler give you lot of cc/debuff with great synergy with fear ward at litlle cost (regain a part of your focus, sometime way more)

Edited by Exanos

If you go Streetfighter/Helwalker you can drop yourself to 50% health pretty quickly with Mortification of the Soul which will bring you to 'Heating Up' as well as giving you 10 Wounds. No need to get flanked. Maybe you want to boost CON and pick Iron Wheel though.

Mindstalker imho is one of the more versatile and fun builds. Rogue and Cipher synergize very well. Personally I'd go Trickster/Soulblade bc you will be generating a ton of Focus which will equate to a ton of damage. I tried Trickster/Beguiler and I kept running into issues where I had too much focus.

Edited by Verde

It seems that mindstalker keeps getting mentioned by multiple people. I've never played a soul blade before or even a melee mindstalker, so this makes it an attractive choice for me. I think I will go with this but I will go the streetfighter route rather than the trickster route, mainly because I have 4 other party members who should be dedicated to keeping the PC alive and well.

Feedback on build, gear, and companions is still very much welcome.

Trickster is def. less finnicky and sturdier but can't dish out that much "potential" dmg.

Trickster/Soulblade is a rounded and very effective combo. Mirrored Image stacks with Psychovampiric Shield and both with Borrowed Instincts which makes you plenty sturdy while you lose almost no offensive potential compared to vanilla Rogue/Soulblade.

Also Trickster/Soulblade is somehowe more fitting if you opt for Rapier. Rännig's Wrath + modal - that's +29 ACC - is GREAT on a Soulblade. You really don't want to miss or graze with Soul Annihilation. You can choose a light offhand weapon for skipping the longer recovery of Rapier+modal with Full Attacks like Crippling Strike. For example a Dagger. Of course stuff like Azure Blade (+15 ACC without any drawback) or Scordeo's Edge with Adaptive are also nice. So is Sun & Moon (with Ring of Focused Flame which will give you +10 ACC with the initial hit with the Eothas-head, dumping Focus into raw damage and then regaining focus with the second flail head's hit - in one strike).

I tried a Trickster/Soulblade recently again with Serafen's hat he gives you (Fair Favor), Rännig's Wrath, Devil of Caroc's Breastplate + Abraham pet and Pukestabber + modal in the offhand (speed bonuses for the Offhand which skips the Rapier's recovery on Full Attacks).

It's great. I also tried Streetfighter/Soulblade and found that wearing R.'s Wrath + small shield and then getting flanked by enemies also works well. I piled up CON and health bonuses though in order to stay flanked + bloodied as long as possible before escaping. Devil of Caroc has a nice enchantment that gives you +2 AR when bloodied - which is awesome in this case.

In both cases I also used Riposte which will trigger from time to time and gives focus.

Edited by Boeroer

Thanks Boeoer, that gives me a decent starting point. I've played with plenty of tricksters before, so I think this run will be more about trying to see how much I can get out of streetfighter. If it doesn't work, I may go back and do trickster/soul blade or streetfighter/helwalker.

Have you tried Tuotilo's Palm plus monastic unarmed training on the streetfighter/soulblade?

Do you use any spells besides Psychovampiric Shield and Borrowed Instincts?

I've updated my initial post in case anyone wants to add any more recommendations.

Edited by zendingo

A single chanter/druid (Theurge) will work best. You can forgo the wizard and priest, because a lot of those things don't stack. Add another damage dealer + support with a crusader. Have a cipher in the back to AoE debuff or buff your party. If you have your mindstalker PC and Eder (Swashbuckler) with Lethandria's Devotion +crusader with exalted endurance +Theurge +cipher backline you're all set. You can add anything you want as a fifth party member. I'd suggest more damage. All of your party members will have huge stats and big regen (+4 from endurance, +1 Ancient Memory and +1 Lethandria's Devotion. Add a moonwell and you're unkillable. You don't need to cast any other defensive abilities. Perhaps maybe a Painblock if a part member does get low in a rare occasion.

Edited by AeonsLegend

Thanks Boeoer, that gives me a decent starting point. I've played with plenty of tricksters before, so I think this run will be more about trying to see how much I can get out of streetfighter. If it doesn't work, I may go back and do trickster/soul blade or streetfighter/helwalker.

Have you tried Tuotilo's Palm plus monastic unarmed training on the streetfighter/soulblade?

Do you use any spells besides Psychovampiric Shield and Borrowed Instincts?

I've updated my initial post in case anyone wants to add any more recommendations.

I usually only use Monastic UT with single class chars since it scales with Power Level, not class character level.

Edited by Boeroer

I'm currently trying a single-class melee soulstalker. It's strange.

The low health-pool is a drawback. I'm trying a sword'n'board build (level 10) with Cadhu Scalth (seems to be made for a melee cipher) and of course the "Tough" talent. Active abilities is shred-oriented.

Nerf Troubadour!

Also Trickster lowers Sneak attack by 10% only. It's not something that really matters especially if you play a Mindstalker. I find the description misleading as it states it lowers sneak attack significantly. This is not the case. Your sneak attack still increases as normal with power level. All the trickster class does is lower the final value by 10%. So at the end you will have 50% bonus damage instead of 60% when multi classing. That's 10% of 13-19 damage with a sword. Translates to 1.6 damage on average. Inconsequential.

Edited by AeonsLegend

If you want a fire-and-forget experience, with minimal micro, might I suggest...

Troub-Fighter(any) - I like Tactician for mega-bosses 

Troub-Wiz(any) - I like vanilla class (without mods) or Blood Mage, and investing in Wall of Draining for mega-bosses

Troub-Druid(any) - I would simply avoid shifter variant, since healer, fury, and vanilla all offer better support or damage

Troub-Cipher(any) - All subs offer something, really depends on your play style or interest.  

I would arm them all with Weapon and Shield, with the secondary weapon groups for Ranged and/or Two-Handed or Two-Weapon for offensive punch when desired.

I would have two of them able to cast higher-level scrolls.

I would wouldn't fear playing more of a glass-cannon as a my main with this level of support.  

Could you squeeze in a priest?  Yeah, and if you did it, I would ax the Fighter, since your main is the star of melee damage.

Low level, chant Soft Winds of Death... 4x

Mid level, chant Soft Winds of Death + Courage Thick Steel... 4x

High level, chant Soft Winds + Ancient Memory... 3x   /  Soft Winds + Mercy & Kindness 1x...   

I'm sure there are even better combos, but that's all I ever bothered with.  

Your quad-troubs can idly summon stuff, buff stuff, throw down some elemental damage, etc. (on AI mode), etc. 

The secondary classes (Wiz, Druid, etc.) can debuff, buff, cc, and throw some AOE damage (except the Fighter), but this is more micro.

This makes your main character the star of the show and you should be able to face tank most mega bosses if you invest in the right support spells.  

Edited by heldred

I tried a single class Beguiler in my most recent playthrough after seeing Boeroer suggest it, and it's pretty great. You rarely need to use your weapon because Deceptions generate focus, and in fights with lots of enemies (most of them on PotD) you can refill your focus with a single cast and just keep spamming debuffs -> amplified waves or whatever. I've really enjoyed the playstyle. I've barely even used the charm/dominate spells, they're almost too good. 

Edited by Woopee