When will the next patch be for turn based?

There's no specific ETA on the next patch, but per the Community Manager, Aarik, don't expect to see any updates in March.

where was this mentioned?

Obsidian Entertainment's Official Discord.  

I could upload a screenshot if I really must...  But I'm a trustworthy fellow.  You can just just take my word for it, right?  :ninja:

• Like 1

There's no specific ETA on the next patch, but per the Community Manager, Aarik, don't expect to see any updates in March.

where was this mentioned?

Obsidian Entertainment's Official Discord.  

I could upload a screenshot if I really must...  But I'm a trustworthy fellow.  You can just just take my word for it, right?  :ninja:

boy in this day and age i just have to keep creating accounts on so many sites just to keep up with a game i like. i thought it was bad enough i had to sign up for twitch just to get updates via developer streams. *sigh* i'm getting old.

• Like 2

It's not like it was a secret news announcement.  A user simply asked the question, and an answer came forth.

Whether is Twitter, Discord, Facebook, the Obsidian Forums, Reddit, or something far more obscure, there's enough cross-pollination in the community that information still tends to get where it needs to be, no matter where it was initially posted.

it might be a while. I could swear that amazon listed Deadfire console release around may, but now it is listed as 31 December 2019. I doubt it is an actual release day, but it might suggest that it might take a while before they finalize the code. Lets hope that bugs will get properly crushed!

I put my playthrugh on hold waiting for turn-based patch. Also for some reason after turn based update Deadfire started to crash my system on regular basis when closing the game so there is that:-).

it might be a while. I could swear that amazon listed Deadfire console release around may, but now it is listed as 31 December 2019. I doubt it is an actual release day, but it might suggest that it might take a while before they finalize the code. Lets hope that bugs will get properly crushed!

I put my playthrugh on hold waiting for turn-based patch. Also for some reason after turn based update Deadfire started to crash my system on regular basis when closing the game so there is that:-).

Yeah, I was hyped when they had the listing for May (my birthday is next month, and I'm getting an early birthday present of a switch this coming Saturday, so the timing would have been perfect.)

But I think the issue holding things up is that they decided turn based would likely be the preferred method of play with a controller (and they would probably be right, if that is indeed what they are thinking, it would be so easy to make mistakes in RTWP using a controller). So, logically speaking, waiting for the ideal mode to be completed before shipping makes a lot of sense.

I hope it doesn't take too long though - I can't really get into turn based on the PC so far (although that's more a case of many skills being worth far more or far less, and it's a steep learning curve for something that's likely changing.) Fingers crossed the next update makes it significantly better. 

• Like 1

But I think the issue holding things up is that they decided turn based would likely be the preferred method of play with a controller (and they would probably be right, if that is indeed what they are thinking, it would be so easy to make mistakes in RTWP using a controller). So, logically speaking, waiting for the ideal mode to be completed before shipping makes a lot of sense.

There is more to it. They will be finilizing code for the port (not much changes after that, if any) so they need to make it as good as possible.

It sure makes their lives easier to do that, I agree. But patches exist, so any number of changes could be made to it post release - the downsides for them as developers would be quite significant though, so I completely understand their decision.

I just hope it doesn't take too long, just got my switch, and I'd love to be playing Pillars on it. Wish they could release the first Pillars for switch too (an easy day one buy, despite me having that complete on PC), because it's certainly going to be a shame to never be able to bring over an organic set of consequences from the first game.