[4.1.2 MAJOR BUG] Broken core mechanic: Afflictions not supressable/not removable by inspirations

thelee

Question

edit - this post has been edited to clarify the nature of this bug. For any devs, please do skim this thread, angry posts aside, due to the many examples being given. there are many interactions with afflictions that appear to be just fundamentally broken now, such as counters, suppression, resistance interaction, or weakness interaction. I do provide a dropbox link and output_save for a specific such case in this post.

edit 2 - a more complete summary of the rest of this thread i posted on page three, but i'll re-quote here:

it's a little more complciated then that. i forget if it was mentioned here or i mentioned in a direct message to someone else, but inspirations will still counter the affliction if the debuff is solely the affliction. (I've been able to counter some afflictions in my current run like this)

if, however, the debuff has more than just the affliction (like another affliction e.g. spreading plague is both hobbled and weakened) or has extra effects (like xaurip skirmisher poison is both a paralyze and a damage-over-time) what appears to happen is that dispelling an affliction just transfers the characteristics of that affliction to the remaining parts of the debuff. it's such a weird bug.

and then, not to mention that suppression effects don't work at all for hostile effects, and there's a lot of weirdness with weaknesses and resistances going on (e.g. fugue spores' confusion being resisted by giant cave grub, who should be weak to intellect afflictions). also i've seen very weird behavior with charm and dominate.

original post:

I thought this was just limited to Suppress Affliction, but it's not.

Just now, Tekehu got hit by a debuff (Putrid Blast) that both sickened and immobilized him. That's fine, his AI script is set up to use his shapeshift (which grants dexterity immunity) when he has a dexterity affliction. It dispelled the immobilized. But he still can't move. In fact, when I try to move, the game erroneously claims that the remaining Sickened affliction is the reason why he can't move:

post-58316-0-78066300-1552108390_thumb.jpg

Given that I'm also a software engineer, I try to be patient and understanding about bugs that crop up because I know they're a fact of life, but seriously, what the hell is going on that these kinds of regressions are occurring. This is especially alarming given that the game is pretty much approaching end-of-life for support if not with the next patch to bring turn-based mode out of beta, then soon after that.

Dropbox link to output_log and save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbocdfa6ag9vejf/AAAqIQSwvXVwQ6ktHld7Qzcia?dl=0

Edited by thelee
  • Like 7

Hey! I got an answer from SChin:

Thank you for reaching out to me about this bug!  That one was noticed by the team, though they think that one has been fixed and is awaiting a patch to be implemented, they sent it to Programming anyway just in case.  BMac is currently out of office, but I think he will be back next week to make sure this one is all set for the upcoming patch.

If you happen to notice anything else as major as this, please let me know!

You can all breathe again now! ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This issue really heartbreaking... So they abandon the Deadfire? No expansion (more levels, more companions, more spells and skills) means, deadfire never catch up POE1 imo. I need to continue my  POE1/POE2 comparission but i realized develepors will never care this work, aside this, there is many major issues which is interrupts most of things, like creating builds... I dont think, we deserve this. Happines of core players more important than creating new games, at least it must be... Especially, buggy items, buggy afflictions/inspirations, infinite loops really reduces my desire to play.

Edited by Enurale
  • Like 1

No expansion (more levels, more companions, more spells and skills) means, deadfire never catch up POE1 imo

IMO, Deadfire has more than enough content, and just needed to be cleaned from bugs + some balance tweaks here and there.

Honestly, i don't understand why you so upset. :no:

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

Honestly, i don't understand why you so upset. :no:

He/she likes the game a lot. That's enough reason for me :)

I could ask the same question to people who watch football/soccer. Or icehokey. It's just games, after all ;-P

Edited by Frak

Nerf Troubadour!

Hello,

I have news:

[...]

BMac is back and we found that he did fix an affliction issue so we think it's all set. I want to be thorough, though, as I can't reproduce the issue as described and see afflictions removed via timer or inspiration as well as suspended(in 4.1.2). I've tried using them on resistant or weak enemies and they checked out as well. So though the report says the bug should be fixed for the next patch, I don't have in house evidence of this stuff occurring, though plenty on that forum post.

I was wondering, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, if you could record some of these affliction issues occurring and the steps your taking to get them to happen and maybe post them or store them somewhere so we can take a look and make sure we are looking at this properly. If you can't, no biggie. We will still be checking different aspects of afflictions here and there before releasing the fix in the upcoming patch.

[...]

Will you guys help me and post/attach such things as vids or savegames here? I will tell Sam that he can collect it here in this post. Thanks!

• Like 1

ah dang, i'll have to try to see if i still have some old ones.

the old city is an example of a case i'm concerned about and should be 100% reproducible for one specific case. weaknesses normally worked right (albeit with a display error with no duration listed), but it demonstrated that if you have an effect that combines something with an affliction, the weakness doesn't apply right. i'd be worried that most cases with afflictions were fixed but that something like this was not.

how to reproduce:

1. fight giant cave grub at end of old city (who has weakness: intellect)

2. apply fugue spores poison (which does damage over time nad has confuse effect)

3. attack with poison on giant cave grub.

4. confusion gets resisted down to nothing instead of weakness-ed up to a charm. damage over time still works.

if anyone is good with a console, you could probably summon the creature directly and use that as a save. i don't know really how to use the console.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!

Sorry for being so quiet, it's been very busy managing a bunch of things, but as this is a major issue we want to prioritize it.  We think we this one should be resolved in a patch, but just want to be sure and without the ability to reproduce it I can't be as sure as I would like to :)  If you happen upon any good saves or steps of reproduction, or if you have video of this occurring to display that, that would be amazing!

Thanks again for all the amazing help you all have been on Deadfire!

• Like 1

Here's my save, I gave up trying to fight the Giant Luminescent Spore because I couldn't keep dominate off of Eder with suppress affliction or minor intercession.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iIe5W44gf2vg1fvxC3C-WLFngKK0PNFw

Hey Rockfish!

I think this save is a bit earlier in the game as it has the Watcher, Eder, and Xoti in the Engwithan Digsite and Xoti doesn't have those spells yet.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble it has been causing your playthrough.

@rockfish, SChin: Maybe I can spare you some bug hunting time with that savegame:

Suppress Affliction not working on dominated party members is not a bug.

Dominated/charmed party members are treated as enemies (red circle). Suppress Affliction only applies to allies (green circles). You have to hit Edér with a charm or dominate effect (or a slap from a Paladin with Aegis of Loyality) to flip him, then cast a Suppression or Intercession would work.

The bug we are talking about here prevents to remove "complected" afflictions with the proper inspiration on allies - and it makes it so that Suppress Affliction doesn't work if cast on allies.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

@rockfish, SChin: Maybe I can spare you some bug hunting time with that savegame:

Dominated/charmed party members are treated as enemies (red circle). Suppress Affliction only applies to allies (green circles). You have to hit Edér with a charm or dominate effect (or a slap from a Paladin with Aegis of Loyality) to flip him, then cast a Suppression or Intercession would work.

The bug we are talking about here prevents to remove "complected" afflictions with the proper inspiration on allies - and it makes it so that Suppress Affliction doesn't work if cast on allies.

i forget - didn't dominate/charm effects eventually get special treatment in PoE1 so that you could use prayer against treachery and suppress affliction to get rid of it?

Can't remember that. I think not. But is has been a while - so I'm not insisting. ;)

Iirc a Prayer against Treachery wouldn't do anything for you if you already got mind controlled.

Edited by Boeroer

Can't remember that. I think not. But is has been a while - so I'm not insisting. ;)

Iirc a Prayer against Treachery wouldn't do anything for you if you already got mind controlled.

No, suppress affliction was definitely corrected to cancel dominate/charm in POE 1. So did Liberating Exhortation. This is AFTER the party member has been mind controlled. Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Liberating Exhortation may well be since it's a single target spell.

I'm still thinking that Prayer didn't work because it was an AoE spell that you can't put on targets directly.

But as I said: it's been a while.

Edit: I wouldn't complain if Suppress Affliction did work on flipped allies of course. I just wanted to make sure that nobody's thinking it doesn't because of the current bug we are talking about. So there's no Confusion affliction while bug tracking you know... So I cast a Suppress Affliction on that one since it ususally works with Confusion but then realized we still have this bug and it maybe wouldn't work and then... ok fine I'll stop.  ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

It shows the effect as being suppressed, but it isn't actually suppressed. Instead, Suppress Affliction's duration is effectively added to the Charm/Dominate, as the debuff isn't ticking down while it's "suppressed." How is that not a bug? 

• Like 1