[4.1.2 MAJOR BUG] Broken core mechanic: Afflictions not supressable/not removable by inspirations

thelee

Question

edit - this post has been edited to clarify the nature of this bug. For any devs, please do skim this thread, angry posts aside, due to the many examples being given. there are many interactions with afflictions that appear to be just fundamentally broken now, such as counters, suppression, resistance interaction, or weakness interaction. I do provide a dropbox link and output_save for a specific such case in this post.

edit 2 - a more complete summary of the rest of this thread i posted on page three, but i'll re-quote here:

it's a little more complciated then that. i forget if it was mentioned here or i mentioned in a direct message to someone else, but inspirations will still counter the affliction if the debuff is solely the affliction. (I've been able to counter some afflictions in my current run like this)

if, however, the debuff has more than just the affliction (like another affliction e.g. spreading plague is both hobbled and weakened) or has extra effects (like xaurip skirmisher poison is both a paralyze and a damage-over-time) what appears to happen is that dispelling an affliction just transfers the characteristics of that affliction to the remaining parts of the debuff. it's such a weird bug.

and then, not to mention that suppression effects don't work at all for hostile effects, and there's a lot of weirdness with weaknesses and resistances going on (e.g. fugue spores' confusion being resisted by giant cave grub, who should be weak to intellect afflictions). also i've seen very weird behavior with charm and dominate.

original post:

I thought this was just limited to Suppress Affliction, but it's not.

Just now, Tekehu got hit by a debuff (Putrid Blast) that both sickened and immobilized him. That's fine, his AI script is set up to use his shapeshift (which grants dexterity immunity) when he has a dexterity affliction. It dispelled the immobilized. But he still can't move. In fact, when I try to move, the game erroneously claims that the remaining Sickened affliction is the reason why he can't move:

post-58316-0-78066300-1552108390_thumb.jpg

Given that I'm also a software engineer, I try to be patient and understanding about bugs that crop up because I know they're a fact of life, but seriously, what the hell is going on that these kinds of regressions are occurring. This is especially alarming given that the game is pretty much approaching end-of-life for support if not with the next patch to bring turn-based mode out of beta, then soon after that.

Dropbox link to output_log and save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbocdfa6ag9vejf/AAAqIQSwvXVwQ6ktHld7Qzcia?dl=0

Edited by thelee
  • Like 7

So far we got zilch response to this. Although it's really really bad. No idea if they are aware or not. I didn't see much QA activity around here in the last couple of weeks though.

I could go and poke our Sam Chin on Twitter - but honestly I don't want to be that annoying weirdo. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So far we got zilch response to this. Although it's really really bad. No idea if they are aware or not. I didn't see much QA activity around here in the last couple of weeks though.

I could go and poke our Sam Chin on Twitter - but honestly I don't want to be that annoying weirdo. ;)

It is particularly annoying to me; as many people know I am actively working on a mod improving priests and I spent hours yesterday thinking my mod was screwing things up but it turns out this bug is real. Oh well. If you have ANY pull I would be very appreciative if you could contact them to accelerate the bug fixing process.

I wrote a PM to Sam Chin. Let's wait and see. I'm pretty sure he will respond once he finds the time.

best case scenario it's all hands on deck because they're trying to wrap up turn-based mode and do bugfixes so they're so busy fixing and tweaking things they can't log in and respond to forum posts.

best case scenario it's all hands on deck because they're trying to wrap up turn-based mode and do bugfixes so they're so busy fixing and tweaking things they can't log in and respond to forum posts.

I believe this to be the case. I believe that most game developers (and people in general) want to deliver as finished product as possible within given constraints.

Nerf Troubadour!

I believe this to be the case. I believe that most game developers (and people in general) want to deliver as finished product as possible within given constraints.

I do too and as a software developer myself I like to give my brethren in other domains the benefit of the doubt.  So I hope this is what is playing out now and that the end result will be at least a semi-stable game.

OTOH I reserve a special level of scorn for whoever it was that decided to prioritize TB at this point in the development cycle.  These folks exist in all domains and they are always destructive (and while they are often less technical folks, that is not always the case and I don't know if it is true here or not).

• Like 2

I fought The Messenger in BoW a few nights ago and even though she's resistant to Dex afflictions, the combat log kept saying she was immune to Gaze of the Adragan. Is this part of the bug? I could've sworn it worked in earlier builds.

yikes, maybe file a separate bug for this. i wonder if there's some additional keyword immunity interaction that's happening with gaze of the adragan.

Edited by thelee

Unfortunately SChin didn't read my PM yet. Maybe he's on vacation or something.  

Edit: although he did log in here yesterday after I send my PM. Hm... thinking_emoji.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer

@thelee: could you maybe rephrase your thread title so that it's more obvious there's a severe bug we're talking about?

Something like "[4.1.2 BUG] Broken core mechanic: Afflictions not supressable/not removable by inspirations" or something?

Maybe also edit the first post (insert a bug description right at the top) so that the problem is clear right from the start and the thread is recognized as a bug report?

Atm, only judging by the title one could think this thread's just a rant - and maybe devs stay away from those? Not criticising you - I just want to make sure that this gets noticed because it is indeed really bad.

Edited by Boeroer

atm I think Obsidian team is not here. Schin and co do not answer.

For the bugs, I think, I hope a good questionning for Obsidian on the subject of the bugs. Few question in the wind :

1) The propensity of the number of bugs in Obsidian is normal or worst than normal ?

2) What can do obsidian (or microsoft) to adjust the case once and for all.

3) The cost of this change.

Keeping in mind that with every gamer I meet, always the same presentation of the studio: Excellent, inspired, great games, but extremely buggy. This is very damaging to Obsidian's reputation and to buying day one (= Fear of the unplayable/annoying game = I wait 1 year of patch etc.)

1. gromnir on page one of this thread had the best take. i agree with the sentiment that up until TB mode was introduced, Deadfire was a game that was generally getting stabler than PoE1 and getting continually better with each patch in terms of stability and bug fixes, all while new content was periodically introduced.

2. don't introduce engine-warping changes at the end of the dev cycle unless you're prepared to staff it like a new game

3. goodwill being burned with arguably the people who help carry the pillars franchise due to their active support. i see a number of forum/deadfire regulars here in this thread being befuddled or upset or who have stopped playing in the meantime.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 4

The thing is: Pillars was a RTwP-game from the beginning, has a strong community (though not so big one, but still), and no one is asked to add TB-mode. I assume someone had looked at Divinity and made such a rush desicion, trying to sell the game to people, who don't like RTwP. Though I've seen some kind of exaltation about TB, during the first two weeks after beta release, but then all has realized, that TB-mode is also kind of broken toy.

As a result, instead of one good RTwP game we have a two broken games.

Edited by Phenomenum

The thing is: Pillars was a RTwP-game from the beginning, has a strong community (though not so big one, but still), and no one is asked to add TB-mode. I assume someone had looked at Divinity and made such a rush desicion, trying to sell the game to people, who don't like RTwP. Though I've seen some kind of exaltation about TB, during the first two weeks after beta release, but then all has realized, that TB-mode is also kind of broken toy.

As a result, instead of one good RTwP game we have a two broken games.

My understanding is that Sawyer prefers TB, so I assume that TB in Deadfire is his influence.

Damn, so the Inspirations don't counter either? Gesus. It's like a Simpson's where Hans Moleman gently crashes and then his car blows up.

it's a little more complciated then that. i forget if it was mentioned here or i mentioned in a direct message to someone else, but inspirations will still counter the affliction if the debuff is solely the affliction. (I've been able to counter some afflictions in my current run like this)

if, however, the debuff has more than just the affliction (like another affliction e.g. spreading plague is both hobbled and weakened) or has extra effects (like xaurip skirmisher poison is both a paralyze and a damage-over-time) what appears to happen is that dispelling an affliction just transfers the characteristics of that affliction to the remaining parts of the debuff. it's such a weird bug.

and then, not to mention that suppression effects don't work at all for hostile effects, and there's a lot of weirdness with weaknesses and resistances going on. also i've seen very weird behavior with charm and dominate.

Edited by thelee

I wrote another one to AarikD. My inbox was full and I only realized after sending the PM to SChin. Maybe this caused the message system to fail - or maybe there's too much going on atm at Obsidian. So I thought "Why not ask Aarik?". :)

Edited by Boeroer

I just realized Aarik's last login was in February. What's going on there?

Try PM to BMac. I've bothered him a couple of times and he always answer.

Edited by Phenomenum