What Do You Think Microsoft Will Have Obsidian Work On? New IP or Existing?

sterling77

I would play a historical RPG - sounds fun tell me more ... actually I would play any RPG from Obsidian :) not really into first person games so will skip TOW.  Why not a D&D 5e game, I mean purely speculating but Microsoft could definitely afford the license rights ...

One has to be coming down the pipeline sooner or later, am curious if Larian is working on it though??

Larian has "Project Gustav" in the works and, during a recent Internet spasm about a possible BG3, confirmed they're NOT working on a D&D game.

• Like 1

Or even better POE3 - and it goes down in history as the greatest RPG ever made - for the rest of time.  Obsidian eventually purchases Microsoft, Blizzard and Activision - oh, and eventually re-hires Chris Avellone allowing him to make his own games which they make exclusive to the storefront they launch in 2025 - game over.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Doesn't Microsoft have all the FASA licenses still? I thought they just leased (or whatever the correct term is) it out to HBS for Shadowrun and Battletech and Piranha for Mechwarrior

Just checked the MW5 website and it says Microsoft at the bottom

All material on this site is copyright © 2012-2019 Piranha Games Inc. and/or their respective licensors. All rights reserved. MechWarrior and Battletech are registered trade-marks of Microsoft Corporation and are used under license. All other trade-marks are the property of their respective owners; ® or ™ as indicated.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Something new hopefully. Do we really need never ending sequels?

Also, people talking about a sequel to The Outer Worlds before the game is even out!? Come on get a grip.

Yep.  New for me as well.  Enough with the sequels.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Leorgrium said:

I hope they're working on something about Shadowrun... 😍😍

I don't. I mean, I love Shadowrun, but I'd say Harebrained is best suited to continue the game franchise. What would Obsidian really do better than them? 

Don't kill my dreams 😜

I think Obs could vastly improve on some aspects of the HBS games and I love the HBS games. I'm worried they might mess up the combat but I'd love a more branching narrative and greater roleplaying options.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

It would be great if Microsoft bought the Alpha Protocol IP from Sega. Don't see it happening but damn I loved that game. Also they could kind of fill in the void for a Mass Effect like third person RPG game with AP2. Spies are big time again, Mission Impossible movies are making huge bucks, Kingsman was a success, John Wick (not a spy but action guy and spy like), A really well done Alpha Protocol could be huge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If MS really want to create a games which Sony fans(mostly single player) will also look forward to play then they need to invest on true single player story driven game from Obsidian.

POE has the potential to compete with Dragon Age and The Elder Scroll so they can make next POE 3rd person action adventure RPG game.

MS can also let Obsidian make a new IP knowing that the team is talented and has the ability to create sculpture out of mud. 

But if MS is more into GAMES AS A SERVICE then all above are worthless to consider and let Obsidian be the next BioWare. 

• 1 month later...