What Do You Think Microsoft Will Have Obsidian Work On? New IP or Existing?

sterling77

So it seems like Microsoft bought Obsidian because they were really impressed with The Outer Worlds' development.

It might be a shame that there might not be a sequel to The Outer Worlds since Obsidian will likely be making games exclusive to Windows and Xbox after TOW1, and 2K/Private Division will retain the rights to TOW (unless Obsidian keeps it? Which I dont think so).

I wonder if Microsoft will let them continue to make a new IP like TOW, though I wonder what else Obsidian would do? TOW seems like the New Vegas that everyone mostly wanted, albeit in their own fictional sci fi western setting. Post Apocalyptic has been done, they're doing Sci-Fi and western. I can't really think of any genre they could maybe cover .

It's kinda why I feel like Obsidian might be doing an Xbox IP in the future. Maybe... Perfect dark And not just remake the FPS for modern day with better graphics free netflix tech news android 9and etc but actually make it more of an RPG? Possibly make the Alpha Protocol 2?

I mean, I don't see a Halo RPG since the base seems very faithful to the core gameplay. Gears of War RPG? Pfffff. Shadowrun? Mmm, it would make sense but I do feel like it's a bit too obvious perhaps? Alan Wake 2... the idea of Obsidian making a survival horror RPG sounds bold and all, but having played Alan Wake, it was very linear and story driven so maybe it wouldn't fit Obsidian's style.

Perfect Dark though, sure it has its hardcore fans but I think most people haven't played the game, but the brand could be recognizable to a new audience and the brand would be malleable for Obsidian to play around with.

They'd be playing around with the franchise's identity like stealth, FPS combat, the futuristic world and aesthetics. Meanwhile Obsidian could add RPG mechanics, choices, factions, characters and companions who might offer support on the mission, and of course multiple ways to accomplish a mission.

I think these factors would make for a commercial and critical success if they went with a Microsoft IP.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Edited by sterling77

OW2 is quite likely considering a very positive reception so far. If it does well, tis would be silly not to develop it further. 

We know there are two unannouned projects being worked on right now. 

I would be surprised if one of them wasn't Eora related - while there is a lot of doomsaying due to Deadfire's poor sales (allegedly), I would be shocked if PoE IP was ditched all together. It might change a bit or a lot, but as one of two Obsidian's own established IPs it would seem strange to me to not continue it in some shape or form.

Third project - New IP? Game using Microsoft owned IP?

• Like 1

Well looking at the background of Microsoft, Obsidian will be making an online looter shooter game to compete with Anthem & Destiny.

And when has Microsoft ever published a shooter looter? I love it when people accuse MS of having Sony's problem of being overbearing when their flaw (especially this generation) is that they've been too hands off and let devs ruin their own games.

This is bad.... I'm old enough to remember 'Clippy' and can now just imagine the sales pitch for 'Clippy 2' - with skill trees and user choices that matters!

Edit to add: Games I do remember with Microsoft as a publisher... Age of Empires, Jade Empire, Mass Effect... and maybe not a game, but dang, I spent a lot of time flying around the Flight Simulator

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, given that MS also owns inExile, and that they will soon release Wasteland 3 as a turn-based isometric RPG (like the last one), I'm feeling confident that Obsidian will be able to release a Pillars of Eternity 3 as we know and love, but better if they wish to.

• Like 2

Well, given that MS also owns inExile, and that they will soon release Wasteland 3 as a turn-based isometric RPG (like the last one), I'm feeling confident that Obsidian will be able to release a Pillars of Eternity 3 as we know and love, but better if they wish to.

I am also sure that POE 3 will be the next big project from Obsidian, but it won't be isometric instead it will be 3rd person like Dragon Age or 1st & 3rd person like TES.

I am also sure that POE 3 will be the next big project from Obsidian

No it won't. Sawyer has made it very clear he wants a nice long break from PoE, and I don't blame him at all. He's also been pushing for years for Obsidian to allow him to make his historical RPG. So I am sure it will be, in order:

New IP RPG (possibly Sawyer's historical game)

TOW 2

PoE 3 (maybe)

No it won't. Sawyer has made it very clear he wants a nice long break from PoE

They can make PoE3 without Sawyer.  Sawyer wasn't even the director the PoE2 DLCs.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying Pillars of Eternity 2 even more than Baldur's Gate series. Now I'm at second DLC and searching for scrolls/potions ingredients. More than 200 hours and I haven't finished.

Let's hope a masterpiece like PoE 2 won't be the last of the series.

They can make PoE3 without Sawyer.  Sawyer wasn't even the director the PoE2 DLCs.

They can, but they won't.

But there's no harm in holding on to your dream.

They can, but they won't.

But there's no harm in holding on to your dream.

Feel free to show your proof kid.  But even if you don't show any proof, there is no harm holding on to your dream either.

Edited by bonarbill

I would play a historical RPG - sounds fun tell me more ... actually I would play any RPG from Obsidian :) not really into first person games so will skip TOW.  Why not a D&D 5e game, I mean purely speculating but Microsoft could definitely afford the license rights ...

One has to be coming down the pipeline sooner or later, am curious if Larian is working on it though??

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy